Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Poll: Re: What mandolin is the Dawg playing for Lloyd Loar's Birthday?

Sounds like Dawg to me!
  2. Thread: BRW History

by John Hill
    Replies
    Views

Re: BRW History

I had one of those 3 point ovals…excellent in every way, VERY loud. My main ax is a BRW two point that I got brand new several years ago and is also an excellent mandolin. High quality build, top...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Punch Brothers "Hell on Church Street"

Just seeing this. I’ll look for the quote but I remember it clearly because it is a strong statement and Kind of Blue is an all time classic regardless of genre.

I saw Punch last night at the...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Punch Brothers "Hell on Church Street"

I’m inspired by their talent & hard work on their craft and respect the need to create the sounds they want to hear…but…other than Cattle in the Cane, Jerusalem Ridge & Pride of Man not much drawing...
  5. Re: New Bela Fleck Album out - My Bluegrass Heart

For sure Dan. I can easily see this being like musical Vegemite: you like it or you don’t, not a lot of in between. It is, to me, a bit like listening to “A Love Supreme” or Gould’s interpretation of...
  6. Re: New Bela Fleck Album out - My Bluegrass Heart

I was curious who the “Unknown” mandolinist was on those tracks (I don’t have the cd), he plays some tasty stuff.

This album has me thinking of the first Quintet album: barriers knocked down and...
  7. Replies
    Views

Sam Bush band

Got to see the Sam Bush band for the first time this past weekend in Georgetown, KY. Man Sammy puts on a show, tons of energy (for a guy that's, I think 69 years old, he brings the heat), he put an...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Tone Gard - Comfortable ?

I’ve used a tone guard for years. It’s comfortable standing or sitting, don’t even know it’s there anymore.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Tony Rice

Backwaters is one of my all time favorite albums of any genre.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: New Pava = 2 New Songs 2 Me

Nice! Uh oh...I need an oval hole mando now.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: B Natural by the Lilly brothers

The only “B Natural” song I know of is by Grisman and Ronnie McCoury on the Bluegrass Mandolin Extravaganza cd.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Vulfpeck - Thile appearance

It seems the theatrics are part and parcel of Vulfpeck’s schtick...people having fun for fun’s sake...imagine that. Such gall to not treat every piece of music as if it were Barber’s Adagio for...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Classic Grisman

I love Dawg’s take on “hardcore” bluegrass. Songs like this and albums like Home Is Where The Heart Is, Bluegrass Reunion...awesome stuff. For my money it’s the perfect, if there is such a thing, mix...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Go Deeper, Not Wider

It’s the same with any hobby...be it (for me) fly fishing, fountain pens or watches...you come across a new interest, learn a lot and buy a lot of new stuff (the Internet is all to happy to help you...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Resisting the "Iron Maiden"

I thought this might be about a Rime of the Ancient Mariner mandolin cover.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Chris Thile does Bill Monroe

C'mon now. That break by Bill in the first video is blazing fast and as full of notes as Chris' version...it's no different. If Compton played it like that it'd be hailed as genius rather than the...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: When unique is an understatment

Ain't no money in the middle frets.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: D'Addario - Seeking Mandolin Beta Testers

To paraphrase Wake Frankfield: I been whoopin' these strings like a mule for a week or so. Descriptions of tone and sound are always so difficult due to the specifics of each situation: tonewoods,...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: This is incredible...

waxin' chumps like a candle.

Vanilla Ice in a CT thread. YES.
  20. Re: How do you justify a high end mandolin? Or do you?

10,000 for some folks is play money, for other folks it's a huge chunk of their income. All of these discussions are relative. If it's not taking food off the table, dipping into your emergency fund...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Chris Thile - Miss Manhattan

Who is hosting a national radio program? Who has won grammys? Who has won a Macarthur Genius grant? Who gets to travel the world and play the mandolin for thousands of paying customers?

None of us...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Chris Thile - Miss Manhattan

I love it when Thile "goes there" if for no other reason because it gets a certain % of this forum riled up and/or scratching their heads.

Fatt-Dad mentioned the really important part: is that a...
  23. Re: Designing a new type of double top Mandolin (DT Model)

I believe it's the first movement to Bach's G minor partita.
  24. Re: Article: Punch Brothers Releasing New EP, The Wireless, Nov.

So does this mean we all have to get oval holes now?
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Bach To Bach...

That's fine but lots of people can't imagine playing ONLY bluegrass all the time. I can't, it'd drive me crazy. For some it's about playing the mandolin and for some it's about using the mandolin as...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3