Search:

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Mandolin misunderstanding by young folk

Indeed. I just want to point out that the OP isn't helping much with the evolution of this discussion with his posts, which are replete with authoritarian pronouncements, dismissive assertions, and...
  2. Re: Mandolin misunderstanding by young folk

Perhaps at one time, and for a while, but not originally, nor in these modern times, completely. Makers now produce mandolins with four and five courses, in both double- and single-string...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Gender

This subject has been discussed previously, a lot, with many variations of theory, analysis, and anecdotes, but no definitive conclusion. A search for and perusal of these threads will impart to you...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Bringing a Mandolin on a long trip

I don't think shipping by bus is an option this time. :whistling:

I've never had a problem with the closet option - indeed, they've offered a couple-few times. The last time I flew, a...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Big news from Gibson!

... or lack thereof. :whistling:
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Why do you play electric?

My top-of-my-head glib-ish answer is to reiterate what Zal Yanovsky said in the liner notes on The Lovin' Spoonful's first album: He became a convert to Reddy Kilowatt because it's loud, people dance...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Chords for Rock songs

You're welcome, any thime. The chord names are the same, and that's most of what matters. There will be bass note indications, which usually can be made to work as a sort of walk-down - which is...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Chords for Rock songs

UG is my go-to, although all too often it's a source of much UGH. It has an enormous number of charts, often multiple versions, but they are all too often inaccurate. Some of those multiple versions...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins On TV - Advance Notice

Well, I hope some of y'all tuned in. Turned out Wyatt Ellis is a 12-year-old mandolin prodigy. He and Sierra did a fine duet, with him holding his own, even though Sierra shone like a mandolin sun...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Big ol' baby looking for reassurance

Welcome to the Café! :mandosmiley: Home of all things mandolin and a great many very nice folks affected - er, afflicted - er, affectionate about mandolins. ;)

Here's the link to Rob Meldrum's DIY...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: The Gibson Factory in Kalamazoo

Yes. They mention that in the first video, about 1:50 in.
  12. Replies
    Views

The Gibson Factory in Kalamazoo

I just happened across this brief youtube video thanks to their autosuggestion function. It's only a couple of years old and includes some interesting information. For one thing, it mentions plans by...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Whiskey barrel octave mandolin

Might work as an electric. Might. Wood's way too thick for any decent acoustic music production. And there's still the intonation. :whistling: Fashion a whammy bar out of a keg pull and off you go!...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Random mandolin sightings

Oh, I dunno. It doesn't sound that bad to me, though I'm fine with olives, no wish to change. I also like an olive or two in a Bloody Mary, along with lots of other stuff. ;) But I'm not much for...
  15. Replies
    Views

Roni Stoneman R.I.P.

Roni Stoneman, born Veronica Loretta Stoneman, often called the "First Lady of the Banjo," passed away February 22nd in Nashville TN. She was probably best known as the distaff half of the feudin'...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Thoughts on keys.

Um, yeah, you tuned your what which way? :confused:
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Thoughts on keys.

It is indeed a very good thing to learn how to play in all keys, not just the ones you like, not only because it's good to know how to play your instrument as fully as possible, but also because you...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Happy Birthday Mike Compton!!

Ha! I was searching for something special with MC that had occurred this day. All I have on a personal basis vere two things: I wrote a song one year, and the other I can't mention here. It's very...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: HOG SOL on SGW

Yes, agreed. Some of my happy songs are rather silly. Which is not to say that humor can't infuse serious or cynical or satirical songs - it can, indeed, and quite effectively - but being silly may...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: What Does This Mean?

Fixed it. It was in Chrome settings all along. I found a button that said "dismiss warning" - dismissed. Done and dusted. Whew!
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: HOG SOL on SGW

I'll wager that is the case for the vast majority of people, SO's in particular. And lord knows I've ventured into this area myself, several times over the years, with decidedly mixed results in...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: New Mandolin Cafe Hat

I'm that cool. :cool:
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Help on counting this phrase

I'm thinking - Forget the notation, play it by ear. He's playing a 4/4 rhythm with his left hand, and the triplet figure is set against that, producing a natural syncopation. He does it three times,...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: New Mandolin Cafe Hat

I'm all for progress, yet I value tradition. I thought something valuable was lost when, in the wake of the popularity of "The Preppy Handbook" in the early 80s, the Yale Co-Op began selling baseball...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: listing of rock songs w/mando

Please, buddy - search the list before adding. Why people don't do this, I don't know. I will grant that it hasn't been updated in a long while, but it is searchable, as is every thread here. The...
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4