Search:

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Thread: Goodwill

by keith.rogers
    Replies
    Views

Re: Goodwill

With the hatchet finished speed neck, removed frets and original brand coverups, IMO, it’s a poor value at the current bid.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: The Traveling Pick Sampler - Anyone Interested?

Thanks Mark for your appreciation, and thanks for being the head librarian for this project. I get a whole lot of value from the Cafe community. It’s nice that I had the opportunity to express my...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: The Traveling Pick Sampler - Anyone Interested?

Here’s the current contents of the two samplers:
    212920. 212921

If there are picks that you recommend, especially those that are less well-known or more expensive, they would be good to add. ...
  4. Re: Chord Tones, Intervals, and Scales Flash Cards (or app)

Learning the piano keyboard, even just as a music theory learning tool, is very useful. One advantage over the mandolin fingerboard is that each discrete pitch has only a single place to play them....
  5. Re: Chord Tones, Intervals, and Scales Flash Cards (or app)

As a fairly new mandolin player, Aaron's suggested approach using the mandolin keyboard has worked well for me on swing jazz tunes. When I started out I did try a flashcard approach and memorizing a...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade?

I have liked the Collingses and Northfields I've played but I certainly wouldn't buy one blind if I loved my current instrument.

I'd say the time to upgrade is when you:
    1. Play an instrument and...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: NMC - Kind of - Guitar like Mandolessons

The massive amount of content on Justin's site, how well it's organized & categorized, how logically it's layed out - Beginner/Intermediate/Advanced levels, each level with successive grades, each...
  8. Re: What are the chances that a moderately-priced mandolin sounds

FWIW The Music Emporium currently has a sunburst Eastman 815/v on the wall. I’ve played three Eastman 815/v mandolins. One was awesome, one was just OK, and one was a flat dud. I’m interested is...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: I miss the Classified Guitar posts....

I don't, honestly, and I play guitar at least as much as mandolin (neither not enough). And, there are a couple acoustic-guitar focused forums where I can find hundreds of guitars for sale, never...
  10. Thread: Aged-tone?

by Skip Kelley
    Replies
    Views

Re: Aged-tone?

The mandolin that Cheryl has is one that was made with the oldest wood that I had. It was purchased from Ted Davis’ stash. I now have red spruce that was cut over 100 years ago. It is much older. It...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Keeping up with the Fiddlers

Busy weekend. I've been taking note of everyone's excellent advice, but haven't had a chance to weigh in.

I'm in a learning environment, so there are mixed abilities among all the instruments,...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Speed Neck on Carbon Fiber Mandolin

Only about half way. :) I've been using Scotchbrite for a long while, mostly because down here on the third coast anything made with iron in it rusts pretty quickly because of the heat and...
  13. Thread: Aged-tone?

by HoGo
    Replies
    Views

Wood will always gets to EMC which depends on RH of air around it. Thermally processed wood has slightly lower EMC and has generally better dimensional stability which was the main argument for doing...
  14. Replies
    Views

White scotch brite will do the same thing with less mess.
  15. Replies
    Views

I really don’t get all this “speed neck” thing but a quick rub down with fine wire wool has traditionally been the solution to a snooker cue sticking to your bridge hand.
  16. Thread: Aged-tone?

by Jim Roberts
    Replies
    Views

A mellower sound? Please cite your sources for us. Thanks.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandocello as an octave?

My custom 10 string 26" scale mandocello covers the range of a mandocello and an OM , going from C to E (C-G-D-A-E).

4PyS26F0HhE

I also tuned my Eastman MDC805 like an OM once:

24wZAswSCn4[...
  18. Thread: Aged-tone?

by Iron
    Replies
    Views

Before you make up your mind about torrified, play a Red Diamond.
  19. Thread: Aged-tone?

by DaveGinNJ
    Replies
    Views

I get my aged-tone from being old. I’m not torrified, just naturally old
  20. Thread: Aged-tone?

by Ranald
    Replies
    Views

The tone when you tune your mandolin to A-G-E-D?
  21. Re: Overcoming halted progress and frustration

I have noticed two things:
    #1 - when practising stubbornly on the same faulty phrase, the brain can learn how to do it wrong and stick to it.
    #2 - when learning a new tune, the brain overwrites...
  22. Re: First Mandolin Choice, what is available to me now

Follow up.

So, I've had my Loar LM-310F going on the third day now. I am very satisfied. Of course, I realize that I don't have a point of reference. But I've been playing 2-3 hrs each day, mostly...
  23. Jimi Hendrix: Little Wing Part 2 (9th chords)

https://youtu.be/UA4YkLvoDAU
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Thoughts on keys.

Most of the bluegrass guitarists I know will play out of E forms. However most bluegrass guitarists are flatpickers. Scruggs used fingerpicks when he played guitar. You Are My Flower, which is...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Thoughts on keys.

One thing to keep in mind - sometimes the "odd" keys for bluegrass (like F#, Eb, Ab - or even micro-tones) weren't a result of specific tunings - but recording speeds being altered with things like...
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4