Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin misunderstanding by young folk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsGsCvJWEo8

See attached mandolin tab.

Mick
  2. Re: Separation of Neck From Body… What a Bummer

Here's a good tune to play on it once repaired (or replaced.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FApWsL8Mq1g

Mick
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Speaking Of Stradolins

Actually, Mike, SOLs are somewhat supernatural, and you have to be trained to see them at all. There are untold thousands of them out there, some of them with other names, built over half a...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: The Traveling Pick Sampler - Anyone Interested?

Just a note to thank all who have been involved for making the pick sampler project successful, from Caleb, who got it all started, to all who have participated, all who have donated, and all who...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Elevated fretboard no longer elevated

From my observations of similar mandolins, I think Gibson had some tops on hand from before the elevated fingerboard days. It looks like they cut top wood away until they could use an elevated 'board...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Elevated fretboard no longer elevated

This probably can be fixed, but not easily. What would it cost? Probably hundreds. Maybe lots of hundreds.

The neck to body geometry on that mandolin has changed significantly. There could be...
  7. Replies
    Views

Picks Across The Pond - UK & Europe

Our Pick Sampler #2 is on its way to the UK right now, so this is an excellent time for folks across the pond from the yanks to sign up to receive the sampler.

There is no cost to participate...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Bringing a Mandolin on a long trip

I take the mandolin I like playing everywhere. Does it show, yes. I play gigs in hot humid weather and the varnish finish shows it's wear. The finish is worn off the neck along with most of the...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Speaking Of Stradolins

I am an avid promoter of a certain style of Strad-O-Lin mandolins. They have the comma f-holes. The body is slightly smaller than the average A shaped Gibson mandolin and - as far as I know - it was...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Late 1990's - Production Mandolin Boom?

When I started working as the engineer for Gibson/Flatiron in 1995, in Belgrade, MT, Gibson had the majority of the domestic mandolin manufacturing and sales market. I believe it was something over...
  11. Thread: Hallelujah

by Colin Botts
    Replies
    Views

Hallelujah

Yes, I know, this song has been done, redone, used, and abused, and I should have left it alone. However, I decided maybe there was a little room left in the world for a solo mandolin instrumental....
  12. Replies
    Views

The Gibson Factory in Kalamazoo

I just happened across this brief youtube video thanks to their autosuggestion function. It's only a couple of years old and includes some interesting information. For one thing, it mentions plans by...
  13. Replies
    Views

Mike M on different m’cello

With the number of views, I suspect this hasn’t been posted on the Café forum before, with Mike Marshall playing a Berg 10 string mandocello:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZWwrL-2uS8

BTW I no...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Regal Le Domino Mandolin C.1933

There are several Le Domino Guitars, one Tenor, several ukes and a couple banjolins between eBay & Reverb. In various qualities.

FYI Dominos are not Dice. Though I see the confusion. Is there a...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Whiskey barrel octave mandolin

I think we may have to credit this builder with introducing the roller fairlead to mandolins, plus a few more novel things as well as mutating specifications. Some of us might get strange ideas, but...
  16. Re: Vintage gold Gibson tailpiece cover?

Looks like your cover is original by the wear and overall look, If original yes indeed rare, some have been re-plated so "don't polish it as it rub off the soft gold" Gibson F-5's got these gold...
  17. Replies
    Views

Slowplayers.Org. Is Back on Line

Glad to have it back
    https://slowplayers.org/1295-2/
  18. Willie Nelson with Marty Stuart on emando

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOptU-3N_Sg

Solo at 1:10
  19. Thread: Bowl back science

by Tavy
    Replies
    Views

Bowl back science

Interesting to see someone investigating the science of bowlbacks https://brill.com/view/journals/ijwc/2/1-3/article-p1_1.xml
  20. Re: Crossrock combination case for mandolin and violin

I put a 1919 Gibson A4 with a tone-gard and strap in mine and it fit fine.
  21. Re: Crossrock combination case for mandolin and violin

Sorry but I have no idea.
  22. Replies
    Views

The Queen's Welcome to Invercauld

This is a James Scott Skinner fiddle composition I have adapted to octave mandolin and guitar. The Queen in the title is Victoria, not the recently departed Elizabeth, who passed away very near to...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: HOG SOL on SGW

I'll wager that is the case for the vast majority of people, SO's in particular. And lord knows I've ventured into this area myself, several times over the years, with decidedly mixed results in...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Lutherie as an art form

Don't make me laugh! (thanks Denis). :))
    -I pride myself on occasionally being a low level player too.
    And I occasionally enjoy low level Art.

BTW I believe that the lunar lander that traveled...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Lutherie as an art form

To be fair to pedantic stuffy academics, of which I am one, there are a range of perspectives on this. For some time now, particularly since the infamous 1984 MoMA "Primitivism" exhibit, the...
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4