Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: 1930s Regal Tenor

Ok, here is the update with new strings. I put on a set of 47w - 32w - 22w - 14p because I had those in the house. The little Regal came alive with sound. OMG, I like it. I still need to perfect...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Tiarnán O'Connaill mandolin

Wonderful...thanks for posting it Roger.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Irish Mandolins Info

Let me suggest Keith Newell as a fantastic builder for Irish style mandolins. His Roger Landes model is wonderful. You can search for multiple threads on this model. I highly recommend it.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Kala Tenor due in September

I would appreciate hearing anyone's experience trying the new Kala tenor guitar in GDAE or GDAD turnings.

Thanks,
    Dave
  5. Re: Tenor Guitar for GDAE Irish Tunes recommendations?

You know, Herb Taylor builds great instruments...now, if he could build in Roger's talent directly into the instrument so I would sound that good, it would really help a hack like me! :grin:
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Possible Don Kawalek mandola project

Because the OP pointed out the Peter Abnett mandola, here are the dimensions given from an old Abnett catalog (bear in mind these generally have the modified 3-piece rounded back). Sorry, but the...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Best Celtic mandolin players?

Let's add our frequent contributor Roger Landes to the list.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Who Builds nice basic mando's?

I will second the recommendation for Mike Dulak. And, I wan to add the names of Keith Newell (Oregon) and Paddy Burgin (New Zealand) to the list. Both will work with you to deliver exactly what you...
  9. Re: Advice needed on how to study the irish bouzouki

There are beginner bouzouki lessons on the Online Academy of Irish Music (OAIM) at http://www.oaim.ie/us that are pretty good. You have a monthly charge that is pretty reasonable, and maybe you can...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: New Paddy Burgin Octave Mandolin Build

Well, I have had the new zouk for a couple weeks now and thought a quick report might be due. The instrument is a work of art and sounds wonderful. Paddy wrote yesterday that he is working with a...
  11. Replies
    Views

The OM arrived today and it is even better than I had hoped for...of course, that is first impressions giddiness.

Paddy created a video and soundtrack with the instrument that is going through...
  12. Thread: OM fingering

by dmcginnis
    Replies
    Views

Re: OM fingering

Roger - that is a very helpful post - thanks!
  13. Replies
    Views

The redwood bouzouki was one of three instruments being made in the Burgin guitars workshop during August. The others were a longer scale bouzouki and a weissenborn-uke (a miniature nylon stringed...
  14. Replies
    Views

The tailpiece is metal with a wood overlay. The large hole takes the pickup output jack. The bridge has a curved foot to match the curvature of the top.

15. Replies
    Views

The satin laquer finish has dried off and the next stop is tuners, tailpiece, bridge and strings.

16. Replies
    Views

In answer to Gary's question, Paddy wrote:

I learned guitar building from David Freeman of Timeless Instruments,
    Saskatchewan. He runs a great guitar school there and teaches steel string
    and...
  17. Replies
    Views

Gary - I will ask him. You can look on his website at http://www.burginguitars.co.nz/. He has been wonderful to work with. I learned about his instruments through a friend named Keith Carr who...
  18. Replies
    Views

Fretboards are cut on and antique junk shop sawbench. The rusty label says it was made in the American mid-west but the cast metal has held it shape perfectly over the years and it suits the job...
  19. Replies
    Views

New Paddy Burgin Octave Mandolin Build

Greetings all - Paddy Burgin in New Zealand is starting an octave mandolin for me. It will be a redwood top from some salvaged old growth wood with Bastgone walnut back and sides. I am going with a...
  20. New Keith Newell "Roger Landes" model long-scale mandolin build

Hi all - Keith Newell is building me a new long-scale (15.5") flattop mandolin oval hole modeled after the one he built for Roger Landes. Roger describes this to me as "the best sounding mandolin...
  21. Mandola caped to be a mandolin - good idea or not?

Do any of you use a mandola (~18" scale length) capoed up on the 5th fret to play like a mandolin? If so, how does the sound compare to a regular mandolin?

Thanks,
    Dave