Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: New Mandolin Cafe Hat

Yes it is. I've been wearing it proudly! 212268
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Weber Bighorn SE

Last fall I bought a Bighorn, which is a great instrument. I wanted the Florida scooped and sent it to Bruce and asked that he add his logo. Worderful work. I couldn't have been happier.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Mid tier Mando that will hold its value

You're going to get a lot of responses, but based on your guitar collection, you might find a used Collings MT of interest. It will cost about $2,600 to $3,000 for the most basic one and probably...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Is anyone else scared of Bill Monroe?

He and other performers - artists of his day were mostly from rural, hardscrapple backgrounds. Even with some noteriety, constantly traveling and playing was not an easy living and they didn't...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Love for Ovals

I've only had mine for a few months and it's quickly become one of my go to instruments. My avitar is a Girouard 2 point with a cedar top and the Collings is giving it a run for the money. I'm not a...
  6. Re: The Airline lost my mandolin! (Good news ending though)

Long ago I flew into Savannah on a small flight from Atlanta, so everything went underneath. For bag retrieval my approach is to stand back, half way down the carousel and wait till my suitcase...
  7. Re: How do you like your armrests (aesthetically)

McClungs from Doug at Hill Country String Works are my favorite. I've sent him pictures of instruments and he's offered ideas from what he has in stock. Here's my Girouard with a nice complimentary...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: NMD 2023 Gibson F-5G

Mighty fine! Congratulations.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Love for Ovals

Yes, ovals are a lot of fun. Just picked up this nice Collings MT-O with a gloss top. I'm in the honeymoon phase, but I have a feeling it's a keeper.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Affordable American Made Mandolins

There are many older, American made, Breedlove mandolins out there for less than $1500. Not traditional styled, but usually nice sounding and easy to play.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: What is a "master luthier"?

In olden days when there were craft - trade guilds, a master was someone who had shown proficency in their discipline. A "Master Piece" was an item created to show that they had mastered that craft....
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Bourgeois Mandolins!

I picked up a used Bourgeois "catch and release" last fall for under $2000.
    Having been a big fan of Eastman for years and owning a Bourgeois OM guitar, I was eager to see what they might produce...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Happy Birthday Doc Watson

I was blessed to see him perform 3 times, once from about 6 feet away. I'm still amazed at how effortless and easy his playing appeared. Not to mention his matter of fact demeanor. A true master of...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Should I bother?..

I'm 68 too, and after 50+ years of guitar playing, got serious about the mandolin a few years ago. If you can afford a custom build, go for it! As others have said, two years from now you can have...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: What, when, where?

What's SGW? Searching that abbreviation turns up many things, some scary, but nothing musical.
  16. Re: Thoughts on Sierra Hull course at ArtistWorks

I've been working my way through it since the first of the year. Just about finished with the beginner section. I'm not a bluegrass person and while she references bluegrass and many traditional...
  17. Re: I can’t remember if learning guitar was this hard

Sounds like you are making great progress. As a long time guitar player, short time mandolin player, I don't think you can really compare the two. Both have strings and frets but are played...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Modern Oval Holes

This Girouard followed me home a few months ago. Yes, the cedar top does have magical qualities!

19. Replies
    Views

Re: What is that little instrument?

Last summer we made a whirlwind trip to see family in Colorado, Texas and Nevada. I brought a mandolin along for 8 different airline legs and 5 different hotel - motel stays. I had 3 "What is that? ...
  20. Thread: Nmd

by tjmangum
    Replies
    Views

Re: Nmd

Very nice. Congratulations!
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: DO I need a better mandolin?

Yes, and I prove that adage every day.:)
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Pricing / value of instruments

A real estate appraiser once told me "It's not worth what it DOESN'T sell for." I think that's true for personal property too.
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Austin area Mandolin Shops?

I was the first one in the door at Fiddler's Green yesterday morning and pretty much had the place to myself. Very nice variety of mandolins, guitars and more. Had never tried any Northfields before...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: New and Vintage leather mandolin straps

Let me add to the Sully Strap pile on. I really like his basic strap design. Here's one on my Girouard A5. 202529
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Crushed stone for headstock inlay?

To me it sounds like your looking for a look that resembles micromosaics, which was an older approach to jewelry decoration. https://images.app.goo.gl/6GdnxQMtAT3Bn7XT7
Page 1 of 2 1 2