Search:

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Thread: Gibson Post Mortem

by kvk
    Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson Post Mortem

Thanks for the response, rcc56. The first thing I did check was the Gibson website. Then a few stores that I know used to sell Gibson and they listed none. Did some searching and did find...
  2. Replies
    Views

Worthy question, but an exceptionally poor title, that regardless of intent, inflicts potential harm into a company. That's not what the Mandolin Cafe is about. I'm not a particular fan of the...
  3. Replies
    Views

Here, let me Google that for you.
  4. Replies
    Views

Good grief...
  5. Re: Gibson Ricky Skaggs Distressed Master Model - My New Mandolin

last 4 photos -

http://bobbymaynard.com/RSDMM/PicguardSide.JPG

http://bobbymaynard.com/RSDMM/ScrollSide.JPG

http://bobbymaynard.com/RSDMM/HeadstockFront.JPG
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Ad bumping up - standard practice now?

No, everyone is not engaging in this. Some do, most don't. But you make it sound like it.

Being online at any place where instruments are bought and sold takes a bit of patience. It's not there...
  7. Replies
    Views

Sticky: Re: Loar Picture of the Day

Here is a few shots of my all original December 1st 1924 Lloyd Loar F-5 #80191 also with a Virzi, from when prohibition was in full swing and the 20's were Roaring! I'm very happy with the tone,...
  8. Re: Gibson threatening the mandolin and guitar luthier community

I was part of some of the efforts to protect their product, trademarks, etc by Gibson while I was there. There is a lot more to this than just emotions or wanting to kick the big dog. I was used as...
  9. Re: Gibson threatening the mandolin and guitar luthier community

Some folks offering comments on this thread seem to think that trademarks and patents offer clear-cut protections (they do not) and that copies are somehow equivalent to "counterfeits" (they are...
  10. Re: Gibson threatening the mandolin and guitar luthier community

Flatiron: setting the record straight and a bit of context:

I primarily agree with the prior posts here which emphasize the untenable act of forging the 'Gibson' name and passing off forgeries and...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: 1977 Gibson F-5 Questions

Thanks to everyone for the info. The “-L” is definitely added just judging the difference in pen thickness compared to the serial and signature. Looks like it was done with a ball point and the rest...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Try-out Etiquette

Never loan your mandolin to a "pro" who forgot his mandolin.
  13. Replies
    Views

Blue Chip meltdown

Good evening!

I swore that I would NEVER ever pay 35.00 for a pick - unless it were solid gold.
    Well... I sold a small bass amp for 50.00 and in a moment of weakness, you guessed it, I held my...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Double Stop Fiddle Shop Lost to Fire

It would be really cool for someone from Fretboard Journal to wait a brief period for Mr. Berline to settle a bit, and then interview him about this experience and especially this mandolin, to write...
  15. Replies
    Views

Yep. Not heavy, at all.
  16. Replies
    Views

I feel so sorry for Byron, and I'm glad nobody got hurt. He is such a fine fellow and wonderful fiddle player. I'm proud to have toured, played and shared the room with him for 4 weeks in 1994 in...
  17. Replies
    Views

Site-wide down time Saturday morning

We are moving to a new server early tomorrow, Saturday morning, approximately 5:30 a.m. Central Time. The forum and classifieds will be offline for a brief time, the amount we cannot determine to the...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: What Mandolin should you not buy???

A discussion centered around cutting down and criticizing people that build mandolins as their passion or companies involved in their distribution with people making their living do so is not what...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Carters and Gruhns...visit yesterday

Here we are on the major mandolin forum reading a thread whose title is the names of the stores that welcome you to play and discussing the individual mandolins in each store for sale like a bunch of...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Carters and Gruhns...visit yesterday

Well first, let me say I’m NOT trying to pick a fight. Truly. I know there are many who will disagree with this. But personally, I don’t think it’s quite right to go into a shop, take up store...
  21. Re: Is this a Normal curl? for a F5 Gibson? 1993 era.

NOT a Gibson peghead scroll... that is all one can say
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: New Gibson Bill Monroe Hall Of Fame Model?

Aren't the Gibson Master Models F5s signed by Charlie Derrington as close to the Gibson signed Loars as anybody is ever going to get regarding specifications and everything else discussed in this...
  23. Re: New Gibson Bill Monroe Hall Of Fame Model?

Here's one video but guessing there may be others. Need to click on the image to activate it... it's a FB thing.

24. Replies
    Views

Re: New Gibson Bill Monroe Hall Of Fame Model?

Boy did I underestimate Gibson's overpricing abilities.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Adam Steffey is Back

This is the money line:

I’m a band guy – I’m not a leader. I just enjoy playing with a good rhythm section, and these guys have one for sure.
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4