Search:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Blues Mandolin - Big Boss Man - John Hamlett Mandolin (!)

Hi Everyone,

Update on the 6-month young John Hamlett two-point: it's awesome, lol. That's the update. Just restrung it with Mangan 11.5s, straightened the truss rod, and tweaked the bridge and...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Blues on the Mandolin - Let's Hear Ya!

Great stuff Guys! Here's some Freddie King I did this morn'n. There's little bit of SRV in there, because that's where I learned it:grin:.:mandosmiley:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic-CFGkKjWo
  3. Replies
    Views

Gots another for ya’. This is Jimmy Reed’s “This is the Last Time.” The trick to this one was converting the guitar string bends to single mandolin notes. Plus, there is a lot of instrumentation...
  4. Replies
    Views

Here's another one: Watson Blues!

https://youtu.be/qVOl0S60cHc
  5. Replies
    Views

Good stuff Sam, I’m embedding it here for you

wfJU4xbHuNM
  6. Replies
    Views

Grateful Dead's Dupree's Diamond Blues

Blues Grateful Dead style... Dupree's Diamond Blues

https://youtu.be/wfJU4xbHuNM
  7. Replies
    Views

So happy about all of this chatter. Thanks again to Marc for providing so much great material. You're a true stylist, Marc!

Here's "Done Somebody Wrong," an Elmore James song. I recently listened...
  8. Replies
    Views

Kevin, where I’m living now, internet is spotty, plus I’m lazy … I’ve been immersed in the blues recently and hopefully will find time to post new stuff; in the meantime here are a few I put up in...
  9. Replies
    Views

Georgia On My Mind - Eastman/Schertler

Hi Everyone,

Hope you’re well. :-)

This is a clip from a gig last Saturday night. We played at Pine Grove Hall in Pine Grove Mills, PA, a great little place with a stellar sound system complete...
  10. Replies
    Views

First Time StewMac Kit Builder Thankyou!

Hi All!

I am on the tail end of my first build (from a stew mac kit) and I finally made an account so I could pop in to thank this community for all their help. Lurking and searching on this...
  11. Replies
    Views

On the back deck

Sitting on the deck playing my Capek A5. And looking North .....
    We have all had some trying times but don't forget to look up!
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Ready to get my hillbilly on!

Just remember that when you first saw a guy in bib overalls dancing with a racoon, the music was Aretha Frankin...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwyuXI-5QIQ
  13. Thread: Fern?

by sunburst
    Replies
    Views

Re: Fern?

It's doubtful that anyone here would remember this one. I Think I posted pictures of it back in the early part of this century when I finished it. Serial # 007.
    (My sense of humor slips right past a...
  14. Aaron Weinstein's New Apitius yorkville mandolin

Hi all,

I'm so excited by the new mandolin I just received from genius luthier, Oliver Apitius. In my opinion, there is no mandolin that is better suited to Jazz. And it plays like a dream. I...
  15. Thread: Gratitude

by JEStanek
    Replies
    Views

Re: Gratitude

I won't ever play at a level where anything I currently own hinders my skill. Desire for some other mandolins as objects still grips me from time to time but, I have my signature line for a reason!
  16. Re: I decided to hang it on the wall: it might be safer there

This is the "Jeanette Greene" mandolin. It was purchased in over 100 years ago by Meredith Green in San Diego, CA, and went to her daughter, Jeanette, when she was in her 'teens. Jeanette stopped...
  17. Shakedown Street Lesson by the Grateful Dead

Nothing Shaking on Shakedown Street

Love any excuse to play these D minor 9 chords. Thought I'd share them.

I didn't include the C or dominant 7th but you can throw them in there but I like...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: A Tone I Like

While we're waiting, here's a delightful performance from Maurizio Vitagliani, a member from Italy, with an intriguing pickless technique, or mixture of techniques. I don't even know what to call...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Clipping/Cutting Excess String

I understand the problem. I have an inexpensive pair of diagonal wire cutters in my mandolin kit, that leaves a little burr as you describe. Diagonal wire cutters may be slightly better than pliers,...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: I don't like F styles. Anyone else?

Good one...even better - what if he never stopped playing his first bowlback mandolin?

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/threads/132380-Bill-Monroe-Bowlback-Challenge

"In the wonderful...
  21. Replies
    Views

3 Month Stiver Review

After initiating a thread on Stiver mandolins when I ordered mine one year ago and now having had in my possession mine after nearly three months I thought a review was in order. I would like to do a...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Thomastiks on a Collings MT?

I recently purchased a Collings MT2-V. During the purchase process I played the same instrument with both TI's and EJ74's. I am a very big fan of TI flat wound strings. I preferred them on a Flatiron...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: I don't like F styles. Anyone else?

You forgot mandolins opening up/waking up :))
  24. Re: Would anyone be interested in a Blue Chip pick shootout?

I'll take a look! If it's been done and the community has access to it, then saves me time to not duplicate any effort :)

I'll offer my opinion anyway (without recordings). Setup is a Silverangel...
  25. Re: Is playing TABS detrimental to really learning?

I never cared much about reading notation, until I started learning things that tabs were not readily available for.
    For example, I got into some Brazillian Choro thanks to Mike Marshall. He tabbed...
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4