Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: 7 and 9 chords.

The two chords share 4 notes. Playing those 4 notes alone, any finger configuration, yields a ton of chords. From D F A B you can cover at least...

G9 : G A B D F
    G13 : G A B D E F...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandocello vs Cittern

That's what Jimmy Moon (Scotland) called it when I bought one of his, so I use the term "cittern" freely to describe a long-scale with 5 courses tuned CGDAE. I still find myself spelling it out,...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Players who inspired you take up the mandolin

The kid from the drum department at Guitar Center. He said, "It's just the lower four strings of the guitar, only upside down." A little oversimplified, sure, but that's all I needed to hear. I...
  4. Replies
    Views

Home Improvement meets Old Time/Bluegrass

I get out of the car at the local home-improvement-depot-type store, and I hear music wafting across the parking lot... Mandolin, guitar, fiddle, banjo, and pretty good, too. There's a tent right...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Naming Chords

Not everyone gets hung up on enharmonic names in conversation, but it just makes better communication to get the names right in the context. But to explore possibilities -

Go to jazzcittern.com,...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Good source for learning some chord theory?

Pages 41-45 of the jazzCittern ModeExplorer Field Guide has a decent primer on how to build mandolin chords of all kinds, I think.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: okay, so I have a few questions

I have an excuse for not responding to your original post. My posts are thread terminators lately. When I post on a thread, I'll be doggoned if that doesn't turn out to be the final post. Check it...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: 5-course, tell me about yours?

Hey all.

Steve, you mentioned,

You are right in my case. I think of it as a big mandolin... Or a pretty uncooperative NST guitar that's missing the high G. :) I tune my Moon in fifths, CGDAE,...
  9. Re: Converting 6-string to full fifth tuning - my experiment

Oh, NST - Fun! Some links from other conversations on the topic here at the Mandolin Cafe, from oldest to most recent...
    The Teleberger...
    And here are the guages I am using at the moment...
  10. Replies
    Views

29 registered non-bluegrassers so far. That's...

29 registered non-bluegrassers so far. That's about 0.223% of the total population of 13,000. Enough for a couple support groups, anyway.
  11. Replies
    Views

Perhaps 5 courses on that neck? Would it handle...

Perhaps 5 courses on that neck? Would it handle the tension?
  12. Replies
    Views

On the other hand! There are a number of...

On the other hand! There are a number of color-coded presentations and shape-coded presentations out there, and I would look at some of these first before exerting the effort. #You may find the look...
  13. Replies
    Views

Alright, you guys aren't going to believe this....

Alright, you guys aren't going to believe this. #I hope I got this right...

It looks to me like in the Arabic varieties there are tetrachords and trichords mixed in various ways, in the one's...