Search:

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: NMD: New (bowl back) Mandola Day

Isn't it an Octave mandolin? The tuning GDAE indicates that .
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: new mandolin , no label

AND!! with a new bridge. A triangular toothpick was a perfect basematerial.

3. Replies
    Views

new mandolin , no label

It needs a bridge otherwise in really good shape. ;)

4. Re: Light strings for Neapolitan bowl-back

Aquila makes a set of low tension nylgut strings for mandolin. I like the sound of them, especially for classical music. They are not so shrill as some mandolin strings.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Strap for bowl back

I add a sticky mat(meant for car dashboards) to stop it from moving and tilting and just sit with it.

6. Replies
    Views

Re: Help cleating top crack

Here is my take on this, with pointer.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Help dating an old Sicilian mandolin

Look up other well documented Italian mandolins from 1890 to 1920 and the wood types are probably the same for yours.
    Also the endpiece and tuners. Those things didn't vary very much within the...
  8. Thread: new trend?

by poul hansen
    Replies
    Views

Re: new trend?

People also come here to find information, I guess that is also why the threads are kept and not deleted and I find it good internet manners to contribute where you have found help. Be it in an old...
  9. Re: What would you pay for this Meinel & Herold bowlback?

Yes people range Puglisis just a 2. after Calaces, Emberghers etc. but they are still old and might need some TLC

For everyday I bought a 1980s Suzuki MR-200 at a good price and it was almost as...
  10. Re: What would you pay for this Meinel & Herold bowlback?

That's a nice looking mandolin. You don't have to do anything to the scratches but the bowl has at least one cracked seam, so probably(a lot) more, which is difficult to fix.

I have restored a lot...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins too twangy

Yes, Nylgut was developed by Aquila as an alternative to gutstrings but wih similar sound.(please no pro et contra war :-) )
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: nut height for an octave mandolin

Yes the strings and grooves should be at or slightly higher than the first fret. The top of the nut is for you to decide.
  13. Re: Do you know the name of this instrument from a shop i Paragua

I had another reply from a Paragyayan store. He thought it is a one off Charango, made to measure but the Charangos I've seen all have 10 strings in 5 courses.

I guess it could be tuned as guitar...
  14. Re: Do you know the name of this instrument from a shop i Paragua

The shop just responded but I'm afraid the guy really doesn't know.

First he called it a Ukele

After more pictures he called it a charango de madera but google can't confirm that

Asked how...
  15. Re: New (to me) old instrument day - Waldzither

If it's finished in shellac, you can easily freshen it up by cleaning it first, then brush alcohool on it with a cloth of flat paintbrush. It will dissolve the whitish scrathes. But don't rub, only...
  16. Re: Do you know the name of this instrument from a shop i Paragua

The label is from a shop, which I found in Paraguay . I have asked them but no reply.

I'm looking to buy it, so I don't know the tuning.

Nothing noteworthy on the rest of the instrument.

I...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Anglo-neapolitan guitar shaped mandolin

For posterity FYI

Mandolinetto

Neapolitan College of Music, Patent no 2272Made by Ewald Glaesel 186b Plauenschestrasse, Markneukirchen, Saxony, GermanyApplication for patent no 2272 made on...
  18. Replies
    Views

My mandolinetto family

My German made, UK sold:
    Patent No. 2272
    Neapolitan College of Music Mandolinettos, 1900s

Only one is restored until now.

19. Replies
    Views

Re: Help choosing a replacement Bowlback

I bought a Suzuki for the same reasons. I have lots of vintage mandolins but prefer to play the new/newer ones. My (used)Suzuki is beautifully made, sounds good and was playable from the start...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: early 1900s Wanamaker restoration

Can I have the old pieces?
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: early 1900s Wanamaker restoration

[QUOTE=Uncle Freddy;1921799].....I am going to get creative with the body top binding, found a supplier making something angled staggered black / white so I will not be fab'ing those individual...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Small Travel Size Mandolin

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/threads/139472-Introducing-the-Haywood-Mini-Camper-Suitcase-Travel-Mandolin
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Wooden tailpiece cover

This is an alternative, which also was made 100 years ago. I have seen them in both metal and turttle. I just made the "turttle" myself. Could be made in wood as well. I've seen one where the lower...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: is this case a Gibson?

Try here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/vintagemusicalinstrumentcases/?hc_location=ufi
  25. Looking for string shield, arm protector, and made one myself

I bought a mandolin that had this shield over the naked endpiece and like it, so I've been looking for some more, but have only seen one or two on other mandolins.

But then I don't even know the...
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4