Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: one for the Donal Lunny fans

https://www.facebook.com/noel.eccles/videos/1252016694836207/

A live clip of Moving Hearts playing 'The Lark'. Completely and utterly brilliant!
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Lord Kitchener's Pipes

Warning: side effects may include dizziness, headache, blurred vision, and nausea. Ask your musicologist if E Mixolydian™ is right for you.
  3. Re: Sobell instruments... becoming very expensive?

I bought a cedar over rosewood Sobell mando for $850 about 1981. I'll never sell it - sounds like one of those bell-ringing chiors. It's really unbelivable, not to mention beautiful. I think...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Restored Boem Waldzither

You'll need to sand it, OK there may be chemicals you can apply which may remove the old finish, but I can tell you now that it's not simply soluble in anything simple.

You'll need really good...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Saz or Tambouras players??

Usually the thick strings are on the bass side of the course.

Ok, that looks like a pretty standard bağlama, and that will NOT tune to DAD. Strings will break before reaching pitch.

Most common...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Irish/Portuguese Bouzouki

i'm waiting for st patrick to drive the electric guitar our of island.
  7. Replies
    Views

GDA is one of many baglama saz tunings; others are EDA, GCA, F#DA, etc.

Add to that, the notes are for tuning but the actual pitches may be higher or lower. SO what is written in a book as "tuned...
  8. Replies
    Views

Looking at your string sets on the onstrument like this -

12 - 34 - 567

You've got string 123 going to the side tuning pegs, with 1 going to the tuning peg closest the nut and 3 the peg...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Broke my Nut!!

Hi Colin - Remove the Ebony nut & use it as a pattern to make a new bone one. As Adrian says above,you could repair it,but it makes for an un-easy frame of mind.You'll always be waiting for it to pop...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Broke my Nut!!

Place a block of wood against the face of the nut on the fingerboard side and give it a light tap or two with a (preferably small) hammer and it should pop off easily. Some people would probably...
  11. Replies
    Views

Zorba The Greek

with my good luck wishes to my neighbour.
    for their financial crisis.

https://soundcloud.com/orkun-hicyilmaz/zorba-the-greek-sirtaki
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Portuguese guitar (cittern) as CBOM

The double-hole one shown is at the Fado Museum in Lisbon. I mentioned it to the owner at Porto Guitarra ("Tico" Rodrigues), and he said he's not aware of any modern maker producing those. Though not...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Collin Botts on Irish mandola

Same as the Irish wimmin do.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Joe Foley Bouzouki has arrived

Hi Colin,

I intend to post a sound clip this wek. I have been rather remiss not to have done so. Thanks for reminding me.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: How do you justify MAS?

Brings to mind another quote, "My biggest fear is that after I die, my wife will sell my mandolins (or guitars...or microphones) for what I said I paid for them." Yikes!

Doug
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Bulgarian Tambura

Listen to the Breton guitarist Gilles Le Bigot play the tambura - particularly a track called La Funambule from his CD Empreintes.
  17. Replies
    Views

Jigs on my Rigel G-110

Here's a recording of myself playing my Rigel G-110 mandolin.

https://soundcloud.com/alfranreid/jigs-cheer-up-old-hag-the-connaughtmans-ramble

Anyone else out there play Irish/Scottish on a...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: El cheapo bouzouki

A Blue Moon? Maybe it saw you standing alone, without a dream in your heart, without a 'zouk of your own... It knew just what you were there for, and heard you saying a prayer for a 'zouk you...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: I hope I did not overpay

Easy question. If someone offered you $700 cash money for the mandolin right now would you sell it? If not, then you did not pay too much. If so, then you did.
  20. Replies
    Views

refinished Eastman 515

I stripped off the chipped and gouged lacquer from my Eastman 515 and refinished it with Danish Oil. Here are the before and after pics. Sounds great and I like the looks of the thin finish, more...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: my heart's tonight in ireland

Agreed!
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: my heart's tonight in ireland

When you can play like that, you don't need to sing.
  23. Re: Mackie website - can someone test it for me?

Unfortunately, that interface was discontinued quite some time back. The most 'recent' windows drivers are for XP:

http://www.mackie.com/products/satellite/update.html

On a Mac it should work...
  24. Re: Mackie website - can someone test it for me?

This link work? http://www.mackie.com/products/digital_recording/index.html
    That model has ben discontinued so you may not have much luck getting what you need.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: where does the name bouzouki come?

Here it is! Built by John Bailey, London in 1963.Johnny kindly allowed me to take photos as we prepared it for the Sweeneys Men reunion concert in Galway last year.
    Kieran
Page 1 of 2 1 2