Search:

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Thread: Tab vs. Dots

by Ranald
    Replies
    Views

Re: Tab vs. Dots

I'm no expert, but I've used the three methods (notation, tablature, and ear learning) and found that each has advantages. You're not dealing with an"either/or" situation.

Notation: When you can...
  2. Thread: Tab vs. Dots

by jmagill
    Replies
    Views

– Learning a tune by hearing it
    – Learning a tune by reading notation
    – Learning a tune by reading tab

Depending on your preference, one of these methods may work better for you than the others....
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Interesting "mandolino" by DW Snyder

I was thinking something similar, but the other way around - that it's a prop, more for looking OK than functioning, per se. Such a short neck, only ten frets, with that decorative join. When you got...
  4. Replies
    Views

I agree with Walter. Learn to read standard notation and there is a whole world full of music out there waiting for you. That being said, being able to pick up a new tune at a jam by ear is...
  5. Replies
    Views

I learned to read tab when I started to play mandolin about 10 years ago, but I learned to read notation when I was 8, which is a very long time ago. And I've learned tunes by ear as well. But now...
  6. Replies
    Views

This discussion is indeed time-worn, but there are always some interesting new views - particularly the comparisons to language in this thread.

If you want to learn by ear to speak Italian, for...
  7. Replies
    Views

Thank you for the great link to the Atlas of Plucked instruments! According to that, Brescian and Cremona seem to be defined as both having 4 strings, but this fingerboard is not flush with the...
  8. Replies
    Views

Is it a Brescian mandolin?
  9. Thread: Tab vs. Dots

by tmsweeney
    Replies
    Views

I wish i had the ear I have witnessed other's having, so I am insanely jealous of anyone who can naturally pick up a tune by simply hearing it.

I was never very good at it, but I have gotten...
  10. Replies
    Views

I contribute my inability to learn new material by ear to a lack of natural music talent. Believe me I have tried to train my ear, but beyond the ability to quickly play rhythm along side someone...
  11. Replies
    Views

There have been a number of ways and methods of reading/writing music that have come and gone over the years. Some of these are still used today. “Shaped notes” immediately comes to mind, but there...
  12. Replies
    Views

Conversations here too often posit this as an either / or proposition which I find both amusing and saddening in equal measures.

In this case "versus".

I started off learning by ear and...
  13. Replies
    Views

In my public school band, which I participated in from 3rd to 12th grade, we never did any sight singing.

Ear training is on my radar screen of skills to work on.

For me, I very much aspire to...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin in bal folk music?

Yikes, Martin, how did I miss this? Too much work at the end of the semester.
    That's a handy sized accordion.
    Just enough basses to really add some chordal texture to your playing and not too...
  15. Replies
    Views

Yes, it does. I was looking at the straight line at the top of the third digit - more like a 5 than an 8.

I like the Ren Faire theory, too. The image of the lutist, the "Santa Cruz" reference ......
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Separation of Neck From Body… What a Bummer

It’s best to go from the outside of the neck , through the neck into the neck block. The direction of the arrow in the thumbnail sketch by Mike.
  17. Thread: Tab vs. Dots

by Dan in NH
    Replies
    Views

Coming to mandolin from guitar, there is a faction that is vehemently anti-standard notation. This same faction is also usually anti-music theory.

It comes from the guitar’s roots as a folk...
  18. Thread: Tab vs. Dots

by Ky Slim
    Replies
    Views

I have always thought that tab works best with some understanding of dots and that paper (tab and/or dots) will work better with a little help from the ears.
  19. Replies
    Views

notation
  20. Replies
    Views

If by "dots" you mean standard notation, then I'm in a similar place with the mandolin. I find the notation to be easier to sight read and to gain a broader understanding of the piece of music. The...
  21. Replies
    Views

Tab vs. Dots

Is it just me? I know many, many posts have been published regarding tablature and dots and players preference for one or the other. But I wonder if it is just me that finds tab to be simple in...
  22. Replies
    Views

Interesting "mandolino" by DW Snyder

I bought this interesting "mandolino" on eBay, sold by Goodwill in Salinas, CA. The label says it's by D.W. Snyder of Santa Cruz, and has 4 strings with friction pegs. I can't find DW Snyder on the...
  23. Re: Separation of Neck From Body… What a Bummer

Yup, a big old wood screw with a strap button on it can be used.
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Separation of Neck From Body… What a Bummer

If you can't return it - or it is too costly to do so, then that looks a candidate for a "strap button repair": basically reglue the neck as best you can, then fit a strap button on the heal with a...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: NMD: New (bowl back) Mandola Day

Depends on where you live. See, for example, Wikipedia entry ‘mandola’
    In this case, the OP may be referencing usage in Japan. I guess it would always be good to mention scale length, string tuning...
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4