Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Generosity - or "The Giving Hand Never Falters"...

Thank you for posting this.
    You know, strings, straps, oval hole, f hole, A style, F style... none of that is as important as kindness.

Joseph W Baker
  2. The Celtic Mandolin - Tunes for March 20121

Hi Folks
    Here are the resources I've posted this month. Hope you enjoy them. Remember, they're not too difficicult and work best in small groups or at least duets.

20. The Old Tune
    I can't...
  3. Thread: RIP Tony Rice

by Fretbear
    Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Tony Rice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lqyd9Lq2Nk
  4. Great quote about instruments from Gordon Lightfoot

I just watched the new documentary "Gordon Lightfoot: If You Could Read My Mind," which I highly recommend. It is excellent.

He says something that really grabbed me about the guitar sound he goes...
  5. Replies
    Views

Not your typical mandolin video

From French mandolinist Annick Robergeau-Bonnet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3Amx-QQAlw&feature=youtu.be
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: What's your new fiddle tune?

Bobby Casey's Hornpipe on the Macica F5 and the Weber Black Ice Octave

lDGa1Owzv9A
  7. Re: Is playing TABS detrimental to really learning?

Why don't we write it out in "shape notes"? I found those pretty easy to read in the church choir LOL.

But seriously, I think the only way TAB or even notation for that matter is detrimental is if...
  8. Replies
    Views

Arkansas Traveler Chord Melody

I've gotten some comments that chord melody isn't really applicable to non-Jazz tunes. So, I thought I'd try exactly that. Here's my chord melody arrangement of Arkansas Traveler. I hope you enjoy...
  9. Re: Winter's Tale 5 - free sheet music for mandolin trios

I have just recorded a video of Astrid's Waltz from Winter's Tale 5 for my granddaughter Astrid Leia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y8Ohcimrf0

As usual I am using my looper to play the...
  10. Replies
    Views

Liam O'Flynn (Planxty) RIP

Very, very sad news from Ireland.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/0314/947337-liam-oflynn/

I think many of us here owe an enormous amount to the ground-breaking music of Planxty and the...
  11. Replies
    Views

Monteleone Grand Artist

Here's a video of my brother Alex Becrelis playing an original tune that he wrote on a Monteleone Grand Artist mandolin... I imagine listening to this while walking in to vote today... :)
    Enjoy! I...
  12. Thread: Peace!

by Paul Hird
    Replies
    Views

Peace!

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays everyone!
  13. Replies
    Views

Just Thankful To Be Pickin

Each one of us who has chosen to play music has given ourselves a portion of life that is almost indescribable. Something about that mandolin that helped me through the roughest year of my life.
  14. VIDEO: Claire Lynch Band - Buttermilk Road/The Arbours

Here is Claire Lynch and her band performing Buttermilk Road/The Arbours for the WAMU's Bluegrass Country YouTube channel.

That's Claire Lynch on guitar, Bryan McDowell on fiddle, Mark Schatz on...
  15. Replies
    Views

Free PDF Tunebook (Volume Four)

On my forum (The Gathering) I have a tune of the week feature involving a nominated tune which people play and discuss. It's building into an interesting collection of tunes (we're at No.79 just...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Fast Fret Vs. Olive Oil

For sauteeing your vegetables with garlic, however, I have found Fast Fret to be nearly useless, and recommend olive oil.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson mandolin luthiers?

I know it would be lovely if there was a definitive answer to this sort of question, but there isn't. Not everyone is looking for the same thing from a mandolin, so the builder you hate can so easily...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Distressing a mandolin...

My advice is to spend all the time you would have spent doing that transcribing and learning Chris' solos. You'll be a much better player for it.