Search:

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Dagger Gordon video

You must have had a good porridge breakfast before playing this old classic, Dagger! You seemed to be really enjoying it (tune as well as breakfast). Great stuff, and I was singing along to what I...
  2. Re: What kind of mandolin is Johnny Winter playing in this photo?

“Johnny’s guitar set up was pretty standard, although he did start tuning down a full step while I was still working with him,” Jon Paris pointed out. “Around that time, he started playing Lazer...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: "Mandolin Players In Ireland" Social Group

Good to see (and hear) the fingers still working their magic, Dagger! I am assuming the porridge and honey breakfast preceded this set? Great seamless transitions too.
  4. Re: "Mandolin Players In Ireland" Social Group

Hi Dagger...

Well, now! The first word that leaps to mind after listening to your new recording of that set is "blistering". To be able to achieve that level of energy when playing solo is a...
  5. Re: Dagger Gordon plays Ae Fond Kiss

I love the Stefan Sobell Octave Mandolins. They feel really nice and sound great! (You demonstrated this perfectly).
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

Fine arrangement and delivery, Dagger. This one is on my list (as a song rather than instrumental) for a Burns evening I am taking part in on the 2nd weekend in February organised by the local...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Dagger Gordon plays Ae Fond Kiss

So gorgeous, Dagger! Thank you for posting that. Your Sobell sounds amazing in your hands!!
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Dagger Gordon plays Ae Fond Kiss

beautiful
  9. Replies
    Views

New Tom Kimber video

Just came across this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtWkHESxglI&ab_channel=TomKimber

Enjoy.

Nigel
    https://www.nkforsterguitars.com/instruments/tenor-guitar/tom-kimber-tenor-guitar/
  10. Flatwater Fran (mandolin, mandola, concertina, guitar) waltz

I decided to kick the new year off by recording a tune request that came my way from Mike Buesseler. This lovely little waltz was composed by the great Scottish accordionist Phil Cunningham. It...
  11. Re: "Mandolin Players In Ireland" Social Group

Because the search facility at The Mandolin Cafe doesn't seem to work properly, I've created a spreadsheet in Excel which contains links to individual tunes in the Mandolin Players In Ireland Social...
  12. Replies
    Views

Happy New Year! (Auld Lang Syne)

One last tune to ring in the new year. Hope you all have a great one! Cheers!

https://youtu.be/y6grKjTSgkE
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: What's GDAE and audible in a session?

Our Christmas Ceilidh was a sell-out last night and it does the heart good to look out and see everybody dancing.
    All available band members usually turn up for this so we had :
    Accordion/vocals...
  14. Sharon Gilchrist playing Jerusalem Ridge on the Karasik Lloyd Loa

Sharon is such a good mandolin player, and an excellent teacher.

Interesting story about this mandolin i just read in the video info, first time i've heard about this, keep in mind i live under a...
  15. Replies
    Views

In my limited experience from years ago, and then this year when I'm mixing with more "Americana" and bluegrass musicians again, you don't need to be that loud because other musicians tend to drop...
  16. Replies
    Views

I think I might be out, but I'm not sure :)
  17. Replies
    Views

I have to agree with Dagger on these points.

Octave mando is lovely to play at home or in a small group setting, but is very easily lost in the mid-range at a pub session, especially if there are...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Overthinking tone

There is a fundamental reason that more experienced players progress to better quality instruments -- they grow to understand the difference in responsiveness, complexity, subtlety of tone, and...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Swarb on Mandolin

Kevin Dempsey the Guitarist is still going strong, but Martin Jenkins and Swarb left the party early. Kev's a great Guitarist and an old mate from Coventry. Both Guitar and Mandocello were made by...
  20. Replies
    Views

And here I was, thinking that the video director was using an artful visual effect that I wasn't sophisticated enough to understand. I'm relieved.

I enjoyed your take on the tune.
  21. Replies
    Views

You're right, I didn't notice the ambiguity when I sent my message. Let me clarify: The drone notes sound really good. :))
  22. Replies
    Views

It took me a minute to get that. I was thinking, "I don't think they used drones to film Dagger playing."
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: What kind of hat do I need?

I like that on you!

I have more hats than Kellogg's has cornflakes, but about the only ones I wear indoors (bald head/cold room) are kufis like Carlo wears in Post 87. I agree with Dagger, who...
  24. Replies
    Views

It really does. Those drones work ever so well.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Dagger Gordon video

Comment posted over on the Videos, Pictures and Soundfiles section of the forum, Dagger. Great playing.
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4