Search:

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Eternal beginner for almost 30 years

Jacob,

everybody is an eternal beginner. It just depends what we are looking at. So there is hope for all of us.

Your problem seems to be multifold to me.

Classical training:
    As the prophet...
  2. Unicorn sighting (Halsey F-5 on youtube)?

I was made aware of this band that I have never heard about. They are the Alum Ridge Boys & Ashlee. They obviously play traditional bluegrass in a very good way. I have only been able to dip into the...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Speaking Of Stradolins

Well, SOLs are "handmade". And indeed it´s unfair to do a comparison of an SOL with f.ex. a Duff or Kimble A-5 (though I liked the tone of my SOL better than the one of an Ellis A-5 when I tried it...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Speaking Of Stradolins

I am an avid promoter of a certain style of Strad-O-Lin mandolins. They have the comma f-holes. The body is slightly smaller than the average A shaped Gibson mandolin and - as far as I know - it was...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Norman Blake is 86

I hope that Norman Blake is doing well (and Nancy Blake also of course). Yes, happy birthday!

While he excels on pretty much any stringed instrument I am particularly happy with his guitar...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Roll On Buddy

It does not allways have to be bluegrass. Nicely done. Yet the song is called "Nine Pound Hammer". I just found out that the first recording is probably by Al Hopkins and His Buckle Busters (May 13,...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Thoughts on keys.

Adendum:

Go and look for Jimmy Bruno on youtube. His mantra is: "Learn to play in all 12 keys".

I think that it is fairly limiting to be able to apply a universally valid fingering system only...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Technique adjustments

I thought long and hard before replying to this thread. Maybe I am just not able to understand what the teacher told you. Maybe it is a wording problem. And I do not want to bash any teacher...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Church Praise Band Question

This super funny (the other funny) story actually shows several possible facts.
    - How limited can one be to believe certain instruments are limited to certain styles (has the praise band guy never...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Good picks for beginner

Since everyone unloaded their ideas about picks on you, one more post does not matter.

When I started out playing an instrument it was very difficult for me to find a pick that I could actually...
  11. Re: Jam Etiquette / Rules Question - Should songs be banned

"The Ban" touches upon two topics and a general thought:

1. Is it okay to play musical pieces that could offend? Or should they be banned?

2. Is it okay to play musical pieces even though...
  12. Replies
    Views

DataNick on Bluegrasstoday

I just wanted to give a shout out for DataNick who has this on Bluegrasstoday:

https://bluegrasstoday.com/california-report-san-diego-mandolinist-b-k-nick-nicholson/

I miss his quality posts...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Top Current Makers

I felt the need to come back to this topic due to the fact that so many opinions voiced in this thread come from personal preferences/experience only.

I think it is necessary to see the bigger...
  14. Replies
    Views

14 years ago Lawrence Smart´s name has certainly had more exposure in mandolin circles as did Fletcher Brock. I played a Brock F-5 once that was a nice instrument.

Your post makes one thing...
  15. Replies
    Views

The list ist centered around F-5 and A-5 style mandolins. Neither are luthiers in the list that build classic mandolins (Kerman) or "folksy" mandolins (that are played by our irish/scottish etc....
  16. Re: Learning a Ronnie McCoury solo everyday for the month of Janu

Yes, happy new year!

And what a project to boot.

May I sugest "Glen Rock" from the Tone Poets CD (which has the most awesome right hand downstrock and tripplet ideas):
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Non-mando question - singing

This is probably the essence of singing right there!!!
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

I had a quiet moment today. I grabed my guitar and in the spirit of the moment recordet what I was feeling and thinking about:
    on earth peace, goodwill toward men

I´ve been thinking about folks...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Christmastime is Here - NMD

That´s a builder you don´t hear to often about. Is it a new one? If not, what year? (Enjoy it in good health)
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Need suppliers in Europe

There are multiple suppliers, depending on how much you would like to spend.

Prucha in the Czech Republic is a supplier for tuning machines among other things...
  21. Re: Convince me of the value of strict DUDU picking?

I understand the question of "why is there a principle of DUDU picking". I asked it myself many moons ago. But nobody that wants to prevent sloppy picking will defend the opinion that DUDU is an...
  22. Re: Etiquette for buying a mandolin on-line

This is an interesting question.

I would say that it is up to the negotiating parties to settle this question.

I bought two instruments "online", one used banjo on banjohangout.org and my...
  23. Re: British guy here – how should I spend $10,000?

This thread really got me thinking about how difficult it is to define your own preferences for sound and how difficult it is to respond to someone with a recomendation concerning a description of...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Pre Truss rod Mandolins

I have a 30ies Strad-O-Lin without truss rod (obviously). I have had it almost since Christ was a cowboy. It never had a neck reset or anything else concerning the neck. It still plays beautifully...
  25. Re: British guy here – how should I spend $10,000?

I do not doubt that the Black mandolin is duely enjoyed.

I dare you to do a comparison of your
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2018 Vessel TM5 and
    2019 Hogan F5.
    I´d like that very much.
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4