Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Church Praise Band Question

Very interesting thread. I too play mandolin on a church worship band, but also tenor guitar. The band is definitely organized as a rock ensemble, both by choice of the church leadership and the...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Mando friendly music stores Portland OR

I believe Cartwright's is closed, or at least its Google Maps listing says it's closed . . . Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, this is something I'd love to be wrong about!
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Notes from the Condino vault

Very generous of you to share. Thanks!
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: playing tenor and mandolin

My perspective is:

First, one can adapt to a variety of string spacings and details of setup, within reason. Also, I like having the wider string spacing on a tenor guitar as it helps facilitate...
  5. Re: Torrefied, thermally cured, "roasted wood" for the home shop

Thanks for sharing!
  6. Thread: Garage find

by Ben Vierra
    Replies
    Views

Re: Garage find

I just read the brochure available at the link allenhopkins shared above. Who needs modesty when you can make the Super Mandolin?

Some distinctive and innovative ideas are in play in these...
  7. Re: Contemporary Christian Music with Mandolin Solo???

Year of Grace by Robin Mark has a mellow, nice-sounding mandolin intro.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Pine, what a tone

That's consistent with a statement in the US Department of Agriculture Sylvics Manual entry on eastern hemlock (Tsuga candadensis), "Older trees are susceptible to radial stress cracks and ring...
  9. Re: Chinese made die cast tailpieces - any good?

I did the very same adjustment for two bent-top mandolins I built recently. No problems encountered.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Small archtop

I love the unique woods!
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: 5 String Archtop Tenor

That's the tuning I would try first, if I had a 5-string tenor. Glad you're trying the beech - I'd like to know how that works out. Looks like a fun project!
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Do you name your instruments?

Please tell me you shout "Kaplah!" when you've nailed a piece! https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=kaplah
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Name that wood

Whoops, meant to reply with a quote to Nevin's explanation of ring porous versus diffuse porous woods.
  14. Replies
    Views

What Nevin said!
  15. Replies
    Views

I can see that the wood is ring porous and light colored. That's certainly consistent with white ash, or other ashes. There are other ring porous woods out there, for example black locust, but I...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

My first attempt at 2-points, and my first mandolins after a long hiatus. Sycamore (Platanus occidentalis) on the left, and Pacific yew (Taxus brevifolia) on the right.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: A sensational find...

Sensational find, indeed!

Looking at his website, I am truly impressed by the ancient bog yew instruments. What a privilege to be able to work with such a unique tonewood.

I also enjoyed his...
  18. Re: Info: about Irish online Academy mando & octave mando courses

I have been using the Online Academy of Irish Music for several months now and have worked through the bouzouki classes, a tenor banjo class, and have begun to learn tinwhistle. Previously, I had...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Tenor guitars

Douglas-fir, Oregon myrtle, and black walnut. Just about the favorite thing I've made.
  20. Thread: Douglas fir

by Ben Vierra
    Replies
    Views

Re: Douglas fir

What an interesting thread! Thanks to Brian D for starting it, although it's ranged far afield from his original question. I am a semi-regular lurker on this forum but rarely a poster, yet now I...
  21. Thread: Douglas fir

by Ben Vierra
    Replies
    Views

Abies procera (noble fir) and Abies magnifica (red fir) are examples of closely related tree species that hybridize. Another example from the west coast is Lutz spruce, a hybrid of Picea sitchensis...
  22. Thread: Douglas fir

by Ben Vierra
    Replies
    Views

Another opportunity to geek out about plants: Here's an essay on just how Douglas-fir came to have such a long succession of scientific names before Pseudotsuga menziesii became accepted: ...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: K&K vs Dean Markley pickup

I have had good success with K&K pickups. I once installed a Twin Spot pickup in my mandolin internally very much for use in a church setting, and it did the job fine. I also own a Hot Spot and...
  24. Re: New Josh Humphrey five-course, multiscaled port orford over k

That's going to look great, Mark!