Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Why do some higher end mandos return to the market so quickly

I am certain that instruments turn over for a variety of reasons. Personally, I am always in pursuit of a particular sound, feel, playability, etc which may or may not actually exist. I do feel...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Ellis-Pava A modlels no longer being made?

From today's classifieds: https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/206576#206576

"As Pava Knesevic is set to hang up the spurs within the next year, her astounding mandolins seem a safe bet to only ascend...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Ellis-Pava A modlels no longer being made?

We have been making adjustments as there have been several unforeseen events recently. There are still a few A models in progress but I don't think there will be many more
  4. Article about Ellis and Pava in Bluegrass Unlimited

Yesterday I received my copy of the April 2022 edition of Bluegrass Unlimited. There is a great article in the issue about Pava Knezevic and Tom Ellis. I was excited to see it and wanted to share...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Ruhland Resale

While I have no idea whether or not these issues on a very young mandolin were caused by user abuse/neglect or structural failure associated with the build, it would be enough to make go another...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Ellis Waitlist

Nice Ivan!
    For those who don't want to wait, this 2014 Ellis just landed in the classifieds....

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/184387#184387

NFI
  7. Replies
    Views

Congrats Ivan! Looks like you got the one based on a Loar. I bet it's a monster. Enjoy!
  8. Thread: Ellis Waitlist

by goose 2
    Replies
    Views

Gorgeous! And I’ll bet it sounds as good as it looks!
  9. Thread: Good F5 Strap

by Ray(T)
    Replies
    Views

Re: Good F5 Strap

Bought mine from UK company Pinegrove Leather. One of these - https://www.pinegroveleather.com/mandolin/ms37-1-2-mandolin-strap-f-shape

They do a range of suitable mandolin straps but that one is...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Major scales? why different ways?

While we're on books, I'll throw in a shout out for Tristan Scroggins' How to Play Mandolin in 14 Days: Daily Lessons for Absolute Beginners.
    Useful for more than just absolute beginners, and a...
  11. Replies
    Views

Pick Review for an Apollo Casein 1.4mm

This video is especially made for Cafe members! I know we always talk a lot about equipment, and picks are definitely no exception here. So I thought I'd make an exhaustive review of the Apollo pick...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Where are all the (new) mandolins?

It might serve you well to do significantly more research on the current state of mandolin building. CNC is used widely, to differing degrees, among builders. Collings has been a leader on that front...
  13. 5 Thoughts On The Right Hand And Fast Picking

Just a quick video I made for the start of the new year on the right hand and working up speed.

TKQfLbidNmg

If you have any burning mandolin questions let me know, i want this new video series...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Free extra picks :) ('21)

These are gone! Fast!
  15. Replies
    Views

Free extra picks :) ('21)

I remember doing this last year and also remember other Cafe members doing the same before. It's fun!

I have some extra picks if anyone's interested.

If you want these (all of them) let me know...
  16. Re: Stewmac shipping outrageously expensive and NOT eco-responsib

Stew-mac was never the cheapest place around. Since the buy out, they are now perhaps the most expensive.
    They sell stuff you can't get anywhere else. Most of what they sell is of high quality....
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Quality control on Waverly tuners

Years back they changed engraving methods. I have no idea what they are doing now but the older ones were really nice. Look at the worm under set. I believe those were hand engraved. The worm over...
  18. Replies
    Views

Drop-dead gorgeous, top to bottom.
  19. Replies
    Views

Here's a few pics of #500 since the above link is gone193137
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: We Should Build Mandolins

I never get tired of watching this.
  21. Replies
    Views

For all of us waiting for our Ellis mandolin, the wait will be well worth it. We will be amply rewarded with a beautiful mandolin built by one of the best teams in the business. Tom, take your time...
  22. Replies
    Views

A beauty so far!! I'm 546, so here's hoping Tom has a speedy recovery. :)
  23. Replies
    Views

I saw an announcement a while back that Christian had left the shop, so things might be a bit backed up.
  24. Replies
    Views

When I ordered #484, I was told the wait would be 9 months. Then the pandemic hit and I think that has spread out a lot of their production time. It enabled a few discussions with Tom during the...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: It's Snowing Down in Texas

So I am really into the western novels of Louis L'Amour. In the books, the Texas Rangers and other cowboy type good guys are often out on the range when a weather phenomenon called a "Norther" sweeps...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3