Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: What was under YOUR tree this Christmas?

Channukah Claus left this under the menorah:

We're having lots of fun playing through the tunes. He left a toaster too but it's not as much fun.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Play Every Note?

I remember way back when I started on fiddle again after decades of not playing I met up with a great group of oldtime players who invited me to their weekly jam. Most of the tunes were nice and...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Steam Punk !!!!!!!!!

Take a look at the first post here. The poster says it's fully playable...

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=47032.0

I like the gauge - wonder what it measures? ;)
  4. Re: Can anyone offer any Fiddle help?... sorry no Mando content

I have no direct experience with either but I've heard that Yita and Gliga are good choices for beginner violins. Both have gotten positive reviews and are in your price range.
  5. Re: What's the weirdest MUSICAL thing you've ever done?

Ha! Some good contenders for the weirdest of the musically weird here. Great thread!

I'll put myself near the bottom :crying:. I strung up an old fiddle with octave strings just for fun. It's...
  6. Re: MAS and GAS-like symptoms for other instruments' players, if

Ha! How little ye know about us of the fretless persuasion!

My main fiddle is luthier-made and a bit over the top, considering I mostly play trad Irish, Scottish, Cape Breton, etc. music. It holds...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Celtic Music - LIONHEART

Why is someone posting video game music here? Is this a joke? What am I missing? :confused:
  8. Replies
    Views

The Drone: New Trad Mag ;)

Found this over at session.org:

http://www.thedronenews.org/

I'm embarrassed at how little it takes to make me laugh...:))

Fretless
  9. Thread: Tune resource

by Fretless
    Replies
    Views

Re: Tune resource

The site also has an awesome abc editor. I abandoned concertina.net a number of years ago after getting frustrated because their software didn't accept some of the formatting functions (I haven't...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Violin versus Fiddle

Don't confuse the music with the instrument: fiddle is a just colloquial term for violin. When Itzhak Perlman calls his Soil Strad a fiddle it doesn't mean he's had it set up with Prims and a...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Scottish tunes for mandolin

FWIW, here's a slightly different version I learned from Cape Breton fiddler Andrea Beaton last fall:

X:1
    T:The Highlander's Jig
    C:Traditional
    C: Andrea Beaton 2013
    M:6/8
    L:1/8
    K:Amix
    d|cBA...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: What would YOU do?

Simple solution:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euQ7BEPjBj4

Fretless
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: TG4 Trad Music Awards on BBC Alba iPlayer

For those of us in the U.S. try http://www.gradam.ie/index.php/programme/?lang=en Pt. 3 about 20:30 - but the entire show is worth watching. Good stuff! :)

Fretless
  14. Re: Looking for an easy jig to help me learn jig picking

Same here, Loretta - I called it Kerfunken until I came across an interview where Hammy Hamilton talked about it. I can't remember the link but I'd saved the interview in a file. Here's what he said:...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Lefty Mandolin

It's not surprising to see all the differing opinions here; handedness is complicated and can't be defined in absolute terms. There are degrees of handedness, and even the right/left language...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Canadian Waltz?

I think it's also called Louis' Waltz, written by Andy DeJarlis as La Valse du Beau Canton. Here's a version from The Traditional Music Library.

You can also find it on Nigel Gatherer's site.
  17. Replies
    Views

Mandolin Meets Cape Breton

Our little town got lucky for St. Patrick's Day - Wendy MacIsaac, Mary Jane Lamond, Cathy Porter and Seph Peters came here to play in between their Seattle and Portland shows promoting their CD,...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Foinn Seisiún books

Lulu prints and sells the books in the U.S. for Comhaltas. All three seem to be in stock and sell for $23. You can also buy and download PDF versions (my preference) for $13.39.

Fretless