Search:

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Thread: Tab vs. Dots

by Ky Slim
    Replies
    Views

Re: Tab vs. Dots

I have always thought that tab works best with some understanding of dots and that paper (tab and/or dots) will work better with a little help from the ears.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Neck shape/feel: "V" vs rounded

If Mandolin Cafe were ever to offer t-shirts for sale V-Neck should certainly be an option.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Keeping up with the Fiddlers

Me too. It took me a long to get this - Playing fast is a different feeling. If you want to play fast - try playing fast now. Slop it up. Sound like garbage. "grind it 'til you find it". Then...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: New Mandolin Cafe Hat

Finding the right hat is so much trickier than finding the right strings and picks.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: playing late and drinking

Hear the change from "peppy" to "draggy" around 2:30...
    -

q-2fbvZKrD8
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Convince me of the value of strict DUDU picking?

Pretty sure you meant measures 11-12 as 7-8 aren't chromatic. Picking them all is going to be easiest and the best way to get the crescendo. This fingering is from one of the exercises in Marylinn...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Hawaiian mandolin

https://www.harpguitars.net/knutsen/hm14.htm

The very one is on that site.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Approaches to Practice...

Warming up and resting are very important elements of practice in my opinion.

Warming up is talked about more often than Resting. Taking time to rest muscles within the practice activities....
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Right hand advice

This video by David Benedict is really helpful for DUDU and string crossings7q46xxa9asE
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Using a capo with a mandolin?

I believe that the OP's purpose for starting this thread was really to get feedback about "Using a capo on the mandolin?" and not so much about the tune - Big John McNeil (aka Lord Ramsey's...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Continuous tremolo technique

The first thing that pops out at me is that the liuquin has 4 single strings unlike the mandolin that has 4 courses of strings. Single strings lend to fingerstyle approaches better than courses. ...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Flat top for blues?

I think the jumbo Big Muddy is a good choice. Following from what is generally known and predictable about flat backed guitar tone woods I would go with Rosewood or Walnut for deeper darker tone. ...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Second chord in Old Home Place

Well, I must say that "taverns" makes more sense but I'm hearing tarriffs every time. Oddly, almost every lyrics page I search says "taverns"

Tony sang "tariffs" or maybe "sheriffs" see 1:22
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Brushy Run tab?

Cool tune! No luck on tab but if you can read dots there's a version here: https://tunearch.org/wiki/Brushy_Run

and Erynn Marshall teaches it slow on fiddle in this video. She really gets...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: String advice sought

Stringjoy strings are a new option. NFI. Maybe give them a try
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Left hand technique

Related to the concept of keeping fingers down while ascending pitches on a string is loading up fingers beneath a note.

For example: Let's say the note that a tune or phrase starts with is a D...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a pic of your cat sleeping in your case

I said goodbye to sweet Randy last night. She was a good girl. I believe that she truly liked my mandolin playing in addition the comfy place to curl up. RIP Randall Jean
  18. Poll: Re: Just starting out -- Should I really learn to "read music"?

Yes and Arabic numbers are used as the chords in Nashville Number charts. This is a simple version of Crazy. I'm not the best charting NNS but this is darn close to the Patsy recording.
  19. Poll: Re: Just starting out -- Should I really learn to "read music"?

Nashville Number system is not the Roman numerals. They are 2 different but obviously related systems. Nashville Number System uses Arabic numerals.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Is shifting up one fret ok?

The answer is YES. It is completely ok to shift up one fret, two frets, 3 frets etc. Don't even overthink it for a second.

No matter how much time and effort I spend (or waste) trying, my pinky...
  21. Re: I've owned an A-style for 72 hours and already hate the shape

Are you trying to rest the mandolin on the top of your right leg only like the guy in this pic?

This would be difficult without a strap and yes, you're left hand would have to hold...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Won't you come sing for me

Thank you for sharing that Billy! I have been ate up with that song lately since Sarah Kate Morgan released this version in November. She has become one of my favorite musicians.

1i9tH2pn9ss
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: I’m afraid woodshedding has made me worse

Jokes aside, mandolins are more physically demanding than ukes. The mandolin is going to "keep you honest" as far as fretting cleanly, picking evenly etc. whereas the uke will be more forgiving. ...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Do I round off my bridge or stop touching it?

Go for it. It will make playing more comfortable. I once did this on a very inexpensive (dirt cheap) mandolin that I was setting up for a friend. It turned out that the bridge and saddle were made...
  25. Re: I can’t remember if learning guitar was this hard

Caleb, your tone and playing both sound quite nice to me. You mentioned that you only play every once in a while. "Buttery and smooth" tone comes from frequent playing over long periods of time. ...
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4