Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: First build with James Condino

Thanks for this post. You could not ask for a better teacher, I have learned a lot just from his posts on this forum.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Jescar EVO Gold fretwire discontinued

I am not sure if Jascar solved their supply problem or are still working off of old stock, but I just ordered some pieces of 3753 and 4080 EVO gold from them wit no issues or indications tht there is...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: My latest builds

I am not familiar with these instruments, but that gittern has a powerful sound, and the craftmanship is extrodinary.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Best wood for a bridge plate

Thanks everyone for the helpful input. I have some maple left over from a butcher block I built many years ago. It is fairly straight grained and hard as a rock. It sounds like it is a good candidate.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Spray Booth ideas

Pops1
    The last time I looked into HVLP they were too pricey, but taking another look, I see Rockler has one pretty reasonable so it is worth considering.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Varnish vs Lacquer

Thanks everyone for your responses.

For my non-instrument wood working I typically use Helmans marine spar varnish. It has UV blockers and a nice amber patina, but it lays on thick and leaves...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: What to Do?

Mike is right. Unless it is an issue with the light reflection it looks like there is some top distortion. A closer side view of the top, neck soundhole are would help to see of the neck is starting...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: I'm curious about a hide gluing method

The weak hide glue sounds like an alternative. I was wondering if the moisture from the steam would weaken the glue.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Practice wood?

I have taken the opposite approach. With the number of hours that you willput into it, the cost for good tonewood is not that bad, and you will have a decent sounding instrument when you are...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson J45 top repair

Thanks for all of the great comments. It is interesting to find out this is a J50.
    Comparing it to trigger is room for encouragement, and not to take anything away from the sound or the way Willy...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolunacy ( original ) a little blues

That is sweet! I love to hear blues on the mando, such great expression.
  12. Replies
    Views

recently built Octaves

I am finally getting around to posting the pictures of the 2 OM's I built this past year. I am still trying to decide which one I like better. They both sound good but they are slightly different...
  13. Thread: Gal

by Bob Schmidt
    Replies
    Views

Re: Gal

John,
    I am in a similar situation as you. This is a hobby that I can use to learn to make the instruments I enjoy playing. I have been a member of GAL for 4 years an have found it quite beneficial....
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Bridge location on an A5 build

Thanks for all the comments.
    I play Irish trad music, and I have an older Gibson A that I use for that. It has a nice sound but is a bit overpowered by fiddles and pipes. My interest in building an...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Bridge location on an A5 build

I am currently thinking of using a dovetail joint, but will probably do a bit more research.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Seeking Octave Mandolin Plans and Advice

I will also recomend Graham McDonalds books. I built my bouzouki (26") scale length from his bouzouki book. It is a carved top X braced.
    I am just finishing up 2 GOM's. They are at 22" scale...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Shellac containers?

I swiped a few canning jars from my wife and they seem to work well. THey are the kind with the 2 piece lids so if a lid gets gunked up they are easily replaced. THey can only be used once for...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Sealing a sprayed sunburst

slimt - yes, no problem. I just finished the sunburst last night (attempt number 4) so it is ready for lacquer. As you can tell by my question, I am still a novice at this, but as you can see from...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: String width at the bridge

I built a bouzouki (26") according to Grahams specs. I have been playing the instrument for over a year and am quite comfortable with that spacing. I just finished a pair of octaves (22") and they...
  20. Re: Not able to view embeded photobucket photos

OK thanks. That is why I tend to view the "free use" offers with much suspicion. I have never seen a white face A so I found the thread interesting, and would have liked to see the pictures.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Shading a spruce top

Thanks everyone. J.Condino, your shop and house must be quite a colorful place. I will try a light mixture in shellac and use the air brush to have better control, but it looks like I have a...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Another carbon fiber question

Just to close out this thread, I put a couple of washers on the truss rod (why didn't I think of that) and was able to get the relief set up. I left it with .008" clearence under frets 6, 7, and 8...
  23. Re: anyone use these for touching up nitro based finishes?

I've never used Novus on lacquer, but it works well on eisenglass so I would guess it is fine for lacquer. I use automotive compounds; either 3M perfect it, or as suggested, Maguiar's fine cut...
  24. Finished first build - Thanks for all of the help

I finally finished the bouzouki I have been working on for almost a year. Here are a couple of photos. It is a thrill to actually string it up and play it.
    Thanks for all of the advice I have...
  25. Re: A brand new Mowry oval A - I am so excited!!

That mandolin is stunning. there are so many artistic touches in the design. I too love your philosophy on starting with a top quality instrument. Enjoy it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2