Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Mike Compton demonstrates his 2008 Duff F-5 mandolin

I'm reminded of some observations made by Mike about Monroe’s playing that I found very insightful .. and by extension relate toMike’s playing as well…

(from interviews w/ Mike )

“The Monroe...
  2. Re: Mike Compton demonstrates his 2008 Duff F-5 mandolin

A good way to think about this style is that it's emulating the pulse and the drive of old time fiddle playing. What you are hearing is indeed intentional, and is very much in line the the sliding...
  3. Samuel Scott Napier instrumental Teaching Demonstration

good stuff in the video, and there's a lot more on Scotts channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/@TheHutto132/videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOtxdKeLL_o

4. Replies
    Views

Re: What's your new fiddle tune?

Cowboy Waltz
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Steve Kaufman Camp

Been to several of his camps (Kamps), though as a guitar player. There is much more than mandolin at these gatherings. Guitar, banjo, fiddle, upright bass, singing, song writing, dobro (and...
  6. Re: Looking at your hands while playing -- opinions?

Excellent question and discussion!

Keep in mind, in art which includes music, there are no rules, there are only conventions... But there are also situations that come up, and, there are also...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Tea for One

Speaking of that front page, once Mandolin Mondays runs its 24 hours, tomorrow it'll look like this:

8. Replies
    Views

Tea for One

just wanted to be sure none of us here on the jazz board missed the happy news posted today on the front page..

" Jethro Burns's Tea For One rereleased by Acoustic Disc"

required listening...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: best use of GIJM and Jethro books

general tips that might move things along:

No matter what you're working on(scales/arppegios, melodies, transcriptions, chords, chord-melodies) try to keep track of how it sounds, how it feels,...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Your favorite Big Muddy and why!

Well this thread came at the perfect time. I am also looking into getting a Big Muddy.
    I love this video of Brian Oberlin demoing some of the different models, but still I want to try them out for...