Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: I want to do an economic study of the careers of luthiers

I’ve been building mandolins full time since 2015. I am self taught and have no history of luthier work or woodworking for that matter. It started out as a hobby that became my full time job. I sold...
  2. Replies
    Views

Most recent build Hagerty #9

Here is #9
  3. Replies
    Views

Hagerty #8

My most recent build.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

I appreciate you John. You have been a huge help and inspiration in my whole process, as well as a wealth of extremely helpful knowledge.
  5. Replies
    Views

#8-18 sitting on the bench. 11 at once is quite the undertaking, not sure I’ll build that many at the same time again.
  6. Replies
    Views

Hagerty #7 fresh off the bench

Hagerty #7

red spruce top
    Back, neck and sides are big leaf maple
    1 1/8 bone nut
    Cumberland Acoustics bridge
    Compound radius fretboard 6.5-12
    Parallel bracing
    Waverly tuners
    James tailpiece
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: inlay design

Hey John! Thanks for asking, I am doing most of this inlay with MOP and some with square silver wire, cutting with a jewelers saw, routing with a 1/32 and a 1/16, downcut bit on a dremel.
  8. Replies
    Views

inlay design

Here is my most recent inlay design, hope you all approve.
  9. Replies
    Views

A Batch of Mandolins, building rims for #8-#17.
  10. Re: Advice needed on K&K mandolin twin pickup install

I would just get a bigger spraying handle that is 15/32...drill the hole once. very accurately without a step or taper. or wrap tape around your spraying handle to increase its size to 15/32, but...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Collings coversion

Good question. The customer does still have the piece in the case. I asked if they wanted it repaired and they said no, on top of not repairing the broken scroll they then asked me to put binding on....
  12. Replies
    Views

Collings coversion

You know that old saying “the customer is always right”...well I had a customer come in who wanted his mandolin headstock...changed. He brought in a Collings MF #1247. He wants me to dig out the...
  13. Replies
    Views

I built 2 F5s and a custom 3 point

Hello Cafe. My name is Jacob Hagerty and I have been addicted to building mandolins for 4 years now, although its still a hobby. I have completed 6 mandolins so far and #7 is under way. I started...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: G(I) chop to 3 or 4-finger D(V) chop?

Keep the pinky planted on 7 do not pick it up when changing back and forth. This will help
  15. Re: My 4th mandolin build, 2nd one built from scratch

It’s a balance for sure, I own a company, I’m in a relationship, I’m in a band that travels a lot, and tryin to build and play as much as I can.
  16. Re: My 4th mandolin build, 2nd one built from scratch

I apply the stain to the top using an airbrush, then I apply a nice coat of shellac with a spray gun, let it dry. Then I begin to sand till level, if I need another coat of shellac it is applied at...
  17. My 4th mandolin build, 2nd one built from scratch

Hello everybody, I have become heavily addicted to building mandolins. My first was an IV F-5 kit, second was the Stew-Mac F-5 kit. Now I’m building from scratch. This mandolin has a compound radius...
  18. Replies
    Views

Hagerty Mandolins on the bench

I started building mandolins about 3 years ago, I have wanted to build one since I started playing back in 2001. I started with an IV F5 kit for #1, for #2 I did a...
  19. Replies
    Views

Thanks Bill James

Received my new tailpieces today, very satisfied with the result. Huge shout out to Bill James at Axinc for being so accommodating during the process and being a true professional. thanks Bill! ...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: how to separate tremolo notes?

Awe yes. Here is something to try; when playing tremolo the notes should add up correctly...in other words it’s not a random flurry of notes. Therefore if the tremolo is mathematically correct you...
  21. Replies
    Views

#4,5,6 on the bench 2 F5s and a 3 point. Facebook Hagerty mandolins
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: New mandolins

23. Replies
    Views

Hagerty #4, #5

Building rims for my first batch of mandolins.
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: First Time To A Pickin' Festival

Was a pleasure to meet you mark and pick your brain about finishes. After pagosa I came home and applied a spirit varnish with a shellac french polish on my first build from scratch.
  25. Replies
    Views

1st build from scratch after 2 kits

Hello, I built the IV kit for my first build then did the StewMac kit last year for my second, Now I’m trying my hand at one from scratch. This mandolin will have a radiused fretboard, maple back...
Page 1 of 2 1 2