Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

Looking good, James.
    Here's what's on my bench...
  2. Replies
    Views

Now that the long awaited mandolins are about to graduate from the finish room, this new dread is getting ready for nitro: 1989 Ted Davis red spruce (+John+John), 25 year seasoned Honduras mahogany,...
  3. Re: Flame Arabesque Sound Holes on Mandolin?

I wouldn't give up on it... Try generating some forms which play around/within the boundaries of the traditional f-hole shape. So instead of being a direct translation, it would be more of an homage....
  4. Re: Flame Arabesque Sound Holes on Mandolin?

The French had a bit of an interest in squiggly f-holes. Here is a page from a 1912 Laberte Humbert catalog and and a 1973 mandoline from the Gerome factory. Both from Mirecourt.

5. Replies
    Views

A pair of videos - Celtic F mandolin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50uaDkE_NDo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg_StJ3SNvA

Ian and Tom demonstrating the new Celtic F mandolin - enjoy!

Nigel
  6. Replies
    Views

Some headstock overlays and fretboards, ready for inlay next week.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: The hobby finisher's spray booth

Over the years I've done a lot of work with just that kind of spray booth myself. Just gotta watch out for excessive room dust. . .
  8. Replies
    Views

Hagerty #2 has color.

Just put the color on my second mandolin build, it has the first 2 coats of lacquer. Still some work to do but it's well on its way. I had it strung up in the white and it sounded great, curious to...
  9. Replies
    Views

Slowly coming along with my first F4 build. The toughest part of this so far was getting the 4 degree angle built into the soundboard to match the pitch of the neck. A huge thanks to Peter Coombe for...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: First build...lacquer questions.

Right- the sanding sealer goes down over the stain. Several coats and then sand it smooth with 220 or 320 non-loading sandpaper. Ten minutes or so between coats, about 3 coats max, and then sand...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Question about finishing

Wow, is this ever a loaded question! A lot of the professional luthiers here will tell you finishing is the most difficult part of the building process. However, there are easier ways to go. For a...
  12. Replies
    Views

Making an octave mandolin using a stash of cherry that a previous owner thoughtfully left in the attic of the house when I bought it, and using Graham McDonald's book as a guide. And yeah, it's being...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: “Celtic” compilations CDs.

In my local town of Invergordon in Scotland we get a lot of cruise ships coming in. The guy who has a wee tourist shop beside the pier tells me that all of the tourists want only CDs which have...
  14. Thread: Slow Air

by Shelagh Moore
    Replies
    Views

Re: Slow Air

Nothing wrong with that at all and a favourite tune of mine!
  15. Thread: Slow Air

by emzech
    Replies
    Views

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
  16. Thread: Slow Air

by EdSherry
    Replies
    Views

Nicely done!
  17. Re: Recording mandolin - dealing with breath noise

At last, I understand this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xaPWVoRS6U
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Recording mandolin - dealing with breath noise

Well,

a) I didn't notice you breathing, so... problem solved?
    b) I didn't mind the synth sound at all, maybe I'd put it lower in the mix when it first comes in, but that's just personal...
  19. Replies
    Views

I agree. I normally don't like to second guess anyone on their recording choices, and I fully realize that I wasn't asked for advice on the synth track, but I think foldedpath said it well.
    I think...
  20. Re: Recording mandolin - dealing with breath noise

Very nice playing and mandolin tone, Avi!

Whatever you're doing with natural room ambiance, or that plus artificial reverb is at a nice mix level. It can be tempting to have something like this...
  21. Re: Recording mandolin - dealing with breath noise

Glenn Gould's first recording of the Goldberg variations is rife with his breathing, humming, and squeaking chair and eminently listenable.
  22. Replies
    Views

:grin:Wow. I wish I could draw the image I have in my head right now so everyone could see. I'm picturing a mandolinist sitting in a room with cotton balls stuffed in his nose, a surgical mask around...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: MXL R40 ribbon mic

I just found the best preamp for the money for ribbon mics:

http://www.audiomasterclass.com/the-famous-5-preamp-everything-you-need-to-know#article_1

This DIY preamp just needs a TI INA217...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandocello build thread

A little more non-glamorous progress. Since this is my first mandocello I didn't have a form. A trip to the hardware store and a trip to a local cabinetmaker (and musician) for some scrap plywood,...
  25. Replies
    Views

Mandocello build thread

There have been a few "built threads" lately, and people seem to find them interesting, so I figured... what's one more?
    I debated starting this because this will probably be a long term project...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3