Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

The Dewey Murphy Loar Mandolin Project

This mandolin was featured in the "Sometimes a case tells a story" article recently.

hSCJPC5LrYo
  2. Re: Best power carving tool for arching and graduating tops and b

I have a Lancelot. Rough carves a top in 15 minutes. It's also capable of rough carving your intestines in less than a second. Scares the crap out of me, but boy does it carve quickly.
  3. Replies
    Views

A new F-5

Not quite a traditional F-5 but in the sprit of. European spruce and maple, ebony fretboard, Gotoh tuners and an Allen tailpiece. A K&K twin pickup installed with the socket mounted on an extra...
  4. Video: John Reischman's solo from "Nesser"

Hey all, I learned John Reischman's ripping solo from "Nesser" off Up in the Woods and made a little video. Hope you enjoy.

UhHBUl8kLs0
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: D'Andrea Radex Picks

Love 'em. That's all I use now. My poor Bluechip is jealous.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: The Weber Bridge (NFI)

I couldn't agree more. Loar era adjustable bridges, so common on mandolins these days, are a nightmare to adjust. I had Bruce fit one of his bridges to my mandola this summer and couldn't be happier....
  7. Replies
    Views

The Weber Bridge (NFI)

I have two Weber bridges on my instruments, and another is being installed on an A Gibson I recently purchased. This is not the Brekke bridge that Weber used at one time.
    The newest model works the...
  8. Thread: Here It Is

by lowtone2
    Replies
    Views

Here It Is

https://youtu.be/ovvPyVeaMec?si=o1zq39Xrko3QJH7e
  9. Replies
    Views

Kelley redwood/koa F5

Just finished setting up this mandolin. It had a redwood top from brother Ken’s stash and koa back, sides and neck. I’m really happy with this sound. Nice trebles, strong mid-range and strong bass....
  10. Re: Wintergrass 2023 Vintage Instrument Workshop and Museum

Thanks as always to Wintergrass for hosting us for this event each year and to all of the folks who help make it happen. We always end up having more instruments than we have time to get to at in...
  11. Wintergrass 2023 Vintage Instrument Workshop and Museum

The workshop schedules are now posted on the Wintergrass 2023 site (https://wintergrass.com/) and we are once again doing a Fretboard Journal Vintage Instrument workshop session. For those who have...
  12. Replies
    Views

NMD Arrow 'Manouche'

Went up to a 'local' jam Sunday (85 miles away) and picked this guy up from Paul Lestock of Arrow Guitars and Mandolins. It's a custom bodied, long scale (15") instrument meant to evoke a gypsy...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Pete Sutherland RIP

Pete was so much more than a fiddler or musician. He touched lives in a deep way. His songs were prayers like this one.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGxAPCbevM0
  14. Re: Ultimate Vintage Snakeheadedness and Chocolatey Goodness

Just to fulfill my obsession with newly acquired mandolins, here is my 24 next to my exquisite copy by Hans Brentrup from 2007. Only 83 years difference.

204532 204533
  15. Re: Gilchrist Using The Tone Traveler On Mike Compton's Mandolin

The individual that started this thread has been permanently banned from the Mandolin Cafe and Classifieds for posing as an interested party for a product and attempting to drum up enthusiasm for it...
  16. An afternoon picking w/ Andrew Marlin & the Griffith Loar

https://youtu.be/FqcVKoA6ZLs

Thought folks might enjoy seeing photos from an afternoon picking session over at Matt Ruhland's place yesterday (and a truck...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: block inlay patterns

#37 Amber Koi fish with Lapis lazuli blocks by Martin Jacobson.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: My Duff is hard to tune

Golden Age tuners are great for building character.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Recent Tyler White Mandos 4.07.22

Hey Gill!
    You are not wrong!!
    I am no where near this man’s playing ability, but I did get the opportunity to put a hand to these. That A is quite the powerful beast! :cool:
    The F is also...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: What's your new fiddle tune?

Finally getting around to "Up Against the Buachalans / Tuttle's reel" from the James Bryan "Lookout Blues" recording

The Chieftain's have recorded Up against the Buachalans, I believe Cafe' member...
  21. Replies
    Views

Fix a finish scratch with a walnut

I've used this many times to cover up surface-level finish scratches on both varnished and lacquered finishes. It works best on varnish. Break a walnut to expose the flesh. Rub it quickly over the...
  22. Replies
    Views

NMD My Pomeroy A

https://youtu.be/QRke_96SnBw

Just arrived yesterday. It’s the sweetest A I’ve ever played. Don Paine made this so easy and fun, I’m about ready to order a mandola from him. Total...
  23. Replies
    Views

Hagerty #8

My most recent build.
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Two mandolins from the same maker

# 107 and 108. 108 was built for me and I acquired 107 later.

25. Thread: Ruhland A5

by TAlex
    Replies
    Views

Ruhland A5

I was lucky enough to get on Matt Ruhland’s list for this latest batch of A5’s
    I have owned a number of fine mandolins including Gibson,Red Diamond,Ellis,and Gilchrist. My Ruhland was only recently...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3