Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Strap for A-style (that old chestnut)

First thing I do is have a strap button put on the neck heel. Otherwise I just live without the strap. I cannot abide straps on the headstock. :)
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Help Finding Song

Any chance it might have been "Father's Hall"? :confused: I found a couple of MandolinCafe posts about that tune, with recordings posted by Chuck Naill in 2010, here and here.

I don't know if...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: New to mando.

Welcome to the bunch, Jay.

Good decision to go back to basics and reboot. If you restart at the beginning, you get to see progress almost every day. If you don't, you see a lot of frustration. At...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Take Us as We Are

Thanks All!

Very kind words and much appreciated.

The instrument I'm playing is called an octave mandolin at home in the states. GDAE tuning. Here in the UK it's often called a mandola. It...
  5. Re: Snakehead Peghead Repair by Marc Glickman

From pops1 - "...and more repairable in the future...". I understand your remark completely - but - maybe Mr Glickman was looking to prevent the need for any futher ''repair'',certainly of the same...
  6. Re: Any instruction heavy on Nashville Number for noob mando play

You're right the best time to learn reading music was 30 years ago. The second best time is now. It's not rocket science. Five lines and four spaces for the name of the notes and half a dozen shapes...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: KM1500 Bracing

Hi Tom,

I pretty much agree with Bill here. The bracing can be used to influence how a top responds, but in the end it all works together and a top without bracing, or X bracing, or whatever, can...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: KM1500 Fret Size

Google "Kentucky Mandolins" and the info should be on there...I am sure that a new 1500 would have the larger frets, most likely radiused also...

Willie
  9. Re: I just Googled "Best Mandolin". Amazing results...

My guess is the one that sells the most must be the best and the cheapest ones sell the most. Of course that is the best for Amazon, and I doubt they have ever sold a a-hem 'good' mandolin.
  10. Replies
    Views

Blue Moon Of Kentucky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hkngjEgHgk
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Fox On The Run by Dixie Gray Help

It looks like both the guitar and the banjo are capo-ed at the third fret, which would be Bb. However it sounds like A so either both are tuned down a semi tone, half step, or the video has been...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Fox On The Run by Dixie Gray Help

The video:

13-vw_YsuV0

explain to me how the mandolin player can play the whole song using only the G-shaped chop chord capoed at the third fret

He is "chopping" against muted strings and...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Strap on F-style

Have a seat in a chair with no arms, put your left leg on a footstool or the closed case, and you won’t have to worry about tensing up your right arm to hold the mando in a comfortable position. The...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Strap on F-style

Yes, that's normal. Most use their right forearm to hold the instrument level.

I've seen a few people tie to the headstock, but I don't like the way guitars or mandolins sit like that. Plus, tying...
  15. Replies
    Views

Mandolessons LIVE. Saturdays 12PM EST

Hello folks.
    Mandolessons holds a live session with Q&A on Saturdays at noon.
    I'm not in anyway related or anything to Baron' s website I'm just trying to get the word out to other people since I...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Chop Chords

a big rounded tip pick? :grin:
  17. Replies
    Views

mandolincafe.com chord library Under the Learn/Listen tab above

here is a basic 3 finger chord chard I used getting started:
  18. Replies
    Views

Hi Tom. There probably is such a page somewhere, and I say that because you can find just about anything on the internet nowadays.

I think the reason you don't find a lot of that is because it's...
  19. Thread: What the

by DavidKOS
    Replies
    Views

Re: What the

These guys CAN and SHOULD.

This is a great example of musicians of high quality having fun!
  20. Thread: What the

by ukrobbiej
    Replies
    Views

Nowt wrong with that, I enjoyed it, but then I love Jazz. I suggest none of you sit down and listen to a John Coltrane album then ��
  21. Thread: What the

by Astro
    Replies
    Views

Its its own genre. Just because you might not like to watch/play soccer doesnt mean that Pele or Becker werent incredable at it.

I thought it was awesome....Insanely (good) playing some abstract...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Changing my Kentucky

In some respects, you get what you pay for, but there are some gems in the below $100 tuning machines.
    The ones that you have now are Gotoh, most likely, though Saga/Kentucky did sometimes use their...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Have you given anything up for MAS

I sold some mandolins for another mandolin. Does that count?
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Have you given anything up for MAS

Pride. Shame. Dignity. Hi. My name is Hank. I'm a mandoholic.