Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Finally My First Break/Solo

Nice job! I found the best way to learn was to dive in and do it. Your sound will smooth out the more you practice and it becomes more natural - you are looking understandably tense in your...
  2. Replies
    Views

Great start. Now learn a fiddle tune, like Old Joe Clark in the key of A. It's easy and will give you confidence. Thanks for posting for us.
  3. Replies
    Views

Matt, you are off to a good start! I could tell what you were playing without looking at the title, which is great!
  4. Replies
    Views

IMHO, the thing that really stands out to me is that you ARE DOING IT. Not being afraid to put it out there, asking for comments/help is a huge step towards improving! Soon, someone more qualified...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Still cant play a break!

Sing it in your head , play it with your fingers ..

give it 20 years or so.. :whistling:
  6. Replies
    Views

From your email it is hard to figure exactly what you mean. Is it playing the tune when it comes around to you, or is it improvising something cool to play when the break comes around to you.

I...
  7. Replies
    Views

Matthew: as others have suggested, keep it simple by playing just the 1, 3, or 5 notes of the chord being played. You don't have to play all the notes in the melody. With practice, it will come to...
  8. Replies
    Views

Hey Matt, remember, if you can sing it or whistle it, you can find the notes on the mando. As a kid long ago when I started out, that’s how I began putting together solos. Also, YouTube is a great...
  9. Replies
    Views

MandoLessons has a whole bunch of play-along jams to popular BG fiddle tunes, where Baron "trades off" with you playing chords and breaks. You can slow down the tempo using the icon in the bottom...
  10. Replies
    Views

Great advice from all here. I found that if I could whistle it (the melody), and could find the 1st note on the scale it sped things up a bit. The tune has to be in your head deep enough for your...
  11. Replies
    Views

To me lot of playing breaks is jumping in strong and landing the finish, so start there, know the chord changes you are playing over, - if you don't have them down to almost automatic then go back...
  12. Replies
    Views

Hmmm .... It all starts with the melody. Then moving within the chord changes of the melody. I have heard that described as "making the bases". Tools to do that include learning to play closed...
  13. Replies
    Views

Begin with very simple songs and you have to get the tune in your ear/mind/head first ! It will come and don't give up !
  14. Replies
    Views

Teach your ear by starting with the classics, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, 3 Blind Mice, Happy Birthday, etc. You’ll realize the almost all BG songs start on either the 1, 3 or 5 of the starting...
  15. Replies
    Views

Matt, my advice is, since you have a good ear, learn some breaks to songs that you would like play. Pick it out by ear and practice till you have it down. It will increase your musical vocabulary....
  16. Replies
    Views

Do you mean in a jam session, or alone in your practice space? The way you phrase this, I assume you mean in a jam setting. Whatever song you’re working on, make sure you have the chord progression...
  17. Replies
    Views

Does playing a break mean improvising or playing a melody with some variation from the
    tune? Both are valid, and you can always create your own variation. Try doing it for your
    favorite song. One...
  18. Replies
    Views

Have you taken a look at this video? It was made for the Cafe's profile of Michael Daves who teaches Bluegrass Vocals for ArtistWorks, but it's a great guide to building a bluegrass mandolin solo.
  19. Replies
    Views

Just keep it simple. You don't have to be Bill Monroe, Mike Compton, Chris Thile, etc. Just play the basic melody and maybe build on it. I also agree with Allen above to play with some other...
  20. Replies
    Views

Are you trying to play other people's "breaks" (solos to us jazz players) or improvise your own?
  21. Replies
    Views

I hear you. I started in March, but without the lifelong exposure and off and on playing. This is my first serious string instrument. I'm so impatient! Yesterday, though, after a hiatus in that kind...
  22. Replies
    Views

I had to spend years hacking before I could shred...

Still hacking sometimes :mandosmiley:
  23. Replies
    Views

It'll come when it comes. Don't pressure yourself, or set too high a standard for yourself. Practice playing melodies that you can play -- whether it's Twinkle Little Star, You Are My Sunshine, or...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Calton Cases - in pictures

love your splatter case!
  25. Replies
    Views

I ain't broke but I'm badly bent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41spDMBaeYY
Page 1 of 2 1 2