Search:

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Norman Blake is 86

I hope that Norman Blake is doing well (and Nancy Blake also of course). Yes, happy birthday!

While he excels on pretty much any stringed instrument I am particularly happy with his guitar...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Roll On Buddy

It does not allways have to be bluegrass. Nicely done. Yet the song is called "Nine Pound Hammer". I just found out that the first recording is probably by Al Hopkins and His Buckle Busters (May 13,...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Thoughts on keys.

Adendum:

Go and look for Jimmy Bruno on youtube. His mantra is: "Learn to play in all 12 keys".

I think that it is fairly limiting to be able to apply a universally valid fingering system only...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Technique adjustments

I thought long and hard before replying to this thread. Maybe I am just not able to understand what the teacher told you. Maybe it is a wording problem. And I do not want to bash any teacher...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Church Praise Band Question

This super funny (the other funny) story actually shows several possible facts.
    - How limited can one be to believe certain instruments are limited to certain styles (has the praise band guy never...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Good picks for beginner

Since everyone unloaded their ideas about picks on you, one more post does not matter.

When I started out playing an instrument it was very difficult for me to find a pick that I could actually...
  7. Re: Jam Etiquette / Rules Question - Should songs be banned

"The Ban" touches upon two topics and a general thought:

1. Is it okay to play musical pieces that could offend? Or should they be banned?

2. Is it okay to play musical pieces even though...
  8. Replies
    Views

DataNick on Bluegrasstoday

I just wanted to give a shout out for DataNick who has this on Bluegrasstoday:

https://bluegrasstoday.com/california-report-san-diego-mandolinist-b-k-nick-nicholson/

I miss his quality posts...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Top Current Makers

I felt the need to come back to this topic due to the fact that so many opinions voiced in this thread come from personal preferences/experience only.

I think it is necessary to see the bigger...
  10. Replies
    Views

14 years ago Lawrence Smart´s name has certainly had more exposure in mandolin circles as did Fletcher Brock. I played a Brock F-5 once that was a nice instrument.

Your post makes one thing...
  11. Replies
    Views

The list ist centered around F-5 and A-5 style mandolins. Neither are luthiers in the list that build classic mandolins (Kerman) or "folksy" mandolins (that are played by our irish/scottish etc....
  12. Re: Learning a Ronnie McCoury solo everyday for the month of Janu

Yes, happy new year!

And what a project to boot.

May I sugest "Glen Rock" from the Tone Poets CD (which has the most awesome right hand downstrock and tripplet ideas):
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Non-mando question - singing

This is probably the essence of singing right there!!!
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

I had a quiet moment today. I grabed my guitar and in the spirit of the moment recordet what I was feeling and thinking about:
    on earth peace, goodwill toward men

I´ve been thinking about folks...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Christmastime is Here - NMD

That´s a builder you don´t hear to often about. Is it a new one? If not, what year? (Enjoy it in good health)
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Need suppliers in Europe

There are multiple suppliers, depending on how much you would like to spend.

Prucha in the Czech Republic is a supplier for tuning machines among other things...
  17. Re: Convince me of the value of strict DUDU picking?

I understand the question of "why is there a principle of DUDU picking". I asked it myself many moons ago. But nobody that wants to prevent sloppy picking will defend the opinion that DUDU is an...
  18. Re: Etiquette for buying a mandolin on-line

This is an interesting question.

I would say that it is up to the negotiating parties to settle this question.

I bought two instruments "online", one used banjo on banjohangout.org and my...
  19. Re: British guy here – how should I spend $10,000?

This thread really got me thinking about how difficult it is to define your own preferences for sound and how difficult it is to respond to someone with a recomendation concerning a description of...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Pre Truss rod Mandolins

I have a 30ies Strad-O-Lin without truss rod (obviously). I have had it almost since Christ was a cowboy. It never had a neck reset or anything else concerning the neck. It still plays beautifully...
  21. Re: British guy here – how should I spend $10,000?

I do not doubt that the Black mandolin is duely enjoyed.

I dare you to do a comparison of your
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2018 Vessel TM5 and
    2019 Hogan F5.
    I´d like that very much.
  22. Re: British guy here – how should I spend $10,000?

The OP has indeed indicated very nicely what he expects from a mandolin, namely resonance, harmonics and overtones are more important than punchiness/loudness for a man with big hands who prefers the...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Sound power, Gibson mandolin?

The question may not necessarily be "is my mandolin too quiet" but sometimes "are the musicians in a jam session well behaved enough to enable others to participate".

I sometimes go to a jam...
  24. Re: Bill Monroe F-5 tribute documentary

"Last Days On Earth"... With referrence to this video it should be "First Days On Earth". What a nice musical tribute (and sales pitch too).

The "Documentary" was filmed very great. I wish I had...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Why is bluegrass played so fast?

Good bluegrass is not necessarily played fast. It is played with "drive". It has a certain tension and a certain bite to it that makes you stand on your toes.

The perception that bluegrass is...
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4