Search:

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Is this good for braces?

I am a young builder.......but a very respected building mentor told me once if you want the best pieces to use for tone bars, you cant just cut a couple out of one piece of wood or only order 2. To...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: First build with James Condino

The nice thing about hot hide glue is that you can control the strength of the bond depending on the amount of water you use when mixing it.
    Looking good James!
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Nashville Visit Advice

Carter's used to be the greatest music store in the world. Probably still is, but it ain't quite what it used to be. The first time I went, the sales guy left me alone playing a Loar in a room full...
  4. Re: What are some of the best Mandolins that you all have played?

Usually the ones that ain't for sale!:))
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: recently discovered Loar K5 ?

Here is a Bayard 26 inch based on the 24 Loar K5, really nice tone on this
    I'll admit 26 inches scares me a little

bkuAmpKIQ9U
  6. Re: What are some of the best Mandolins that you all have played?

I’ve only played 1 Loar, and it had a very lovely sound. Of affordable instruments, there’s a Duff and a Sullivan I lust for, although neither are for sale. I’ve played several very nice mandolins...
  7. Replies
    Views

All that may be true, but why not use the best stuff you can find now?
    Bill
  8. Replies
    Views

The grading stamp has 'SPF' (spruce-pine-fir), which groups western species of similar strength. The spruce is Engelmann, the pine is lodgepole or other similar western pines, and the fir is white...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Bowl back science

THe longitudinal (aka parallel) modulus does indeed follow density. However, the cross-grain (aka perpendicular) modulus can be all over the map, and for a variety of reasons. Per Graham...
  10. Re: Best way to test preamp sounds at home?

Why not use an A/B switch and a line splitter?
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Best way to test preamp sounds at home?

My recommendation would be to go ahead and set up your mixer and one or more PA speaker and set up a GoPro or other recording method to actually hear what it sounds like out at audience position. I...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: The Dewey Murphy Loar Mandolin Project

Tony is a fantastic picker and everyone should look up Jerry’s mandolin album on YouTube. Jerry is a great picker.
    The Murphy brothers played a lot in NC where I’m from. I love this story.
    Harry...
  13. Replies
    Views

The Dewey Murphy Loar Mandolin Project

This mandolin was featured in the "Sometimes a case tells a story" article recently.

hSCJPC5LrYo
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Darryl Wolfe selling off stuff

If someone has a problem with that conversion they might have too much time on their hands. I can't remember the last time anyone asked where they could find a tenor lute because they were looking...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Used gouges... (or new)?

Copper plumbing has provided many ferrules.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Effect of bridge breakover angle.

I’m sure some of you have done something like this: raising the tailpiece to lessen the downforce on a fragile instrument. In this case, an awful Rover 35 whose top was collapsing. I pulled the...
  17. Replies
    Views

Good gouges are still good many years later unless they were badly damaged and lost their temper.
    My best chisel, I dug out in the garden behind our church where old houses used to be 60 years ago....
  18. Replies
    Views

Almost all of my gouges are old with the exception of 2 custom made ones (one of them is good, the other doesn't live up to it's supposed quality) and some small carvers gouges that I bought new...
  19. Replies
    Views

Old gouges become new gouges when you sharpen them. If you make a new handle, that’s just deluxe.

Old Buck Bros are very nice tools. I have some that were old when I got them in the seventies.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Effect of bridge breakover angle.

If you draw a vector diagram of the forces, you will see that the down force on the top is nowhere near the full string tension. The formula for the down force of the strings on the bridge/top plate...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Fusion 360 Users?

Looks great! Adrian was also a huge help for me when I started modeling plates. One thing that I find helpful is to leave a flat ledge around the perimeter, for registering the router guide for...
  22. Thread: Weak chop

by sunburst
    Replies
    Views

Re: Weak chop

The top and back may not be coupling well. If, as you say, the top is thin, then the back may be too thick to work well with the top. You might be able to thin the back (requiring, of course,...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Pedal novice question re: preamp pedal

Radial makes several models, one is as you describe (and is the one I have). They also make a full 2 channel rig, with separate eq for each, along with selectable impedance, which is common to the...
  24. Re: Best power carving tool for arching and graduating tops and b

I see many folks especially in US start their plates from rather thick (sometimes almost 1") flat lumber which necessarily requires LOTS of extra material removal. If you start with wedges and reduce...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Pedal novice question re: preamp pedal

Mark, this doesn't directly answer your query, but my solution to amplifying acoustic instruments may interest you. I play squareneck dobro, mandolin and acoustic guitar, both in a band, and solo....
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4