Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Why old time and bluegrass are not the same.

Bluegrass musicians use the tune to show off their musicianship. Old Time musicians use their musicianship to show off the tune.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandotar chords source?

Hi, Maxr!

I used this when building my chord book.

http://www.studybass.com/tools/chord-scale-note-printer/

The strategy I followed was to set up the tool for guitar in fifths (CGDAEB,...
  3. Replies
    Views

Babooshka - Kate Bush mandolin cover

Babooshka - About time a man did a cover version of this Kate Bush classic on a Fylde mandola!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZdVMNYKrtI
  4. 3hattrio - kinda interesting little band. American desert music

I just came across this lot. Something a bit different about them which I rather like.
    No mandolin though, as far as I can see.

http://www.3hattrio.com/
  5. Here Comes the Sun solo mando Tim Connell

This is really fine.

o5OzCn-zb-U
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Playing with accuracy

There are lots of reasons to play slow. Like when learning a new piece and trying to get the string changes correct or the frets right.

But when it comes to learning to play fast and solving the...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Fiddle tunes that sound great slow

I particularly like Tom Berghan's beautiful version of Big Scioty (Sciota) on tenor banjo or mandolin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S1VqQ2qUuU
  8. Re: Pros/Teachers - What is the most important tip you can give?

My primary instrument is bass, so I work with a metronome every time I practice. What's important is using a metronome to teach yourself how to keep time. I play a walking 12 bar blues bass line...
  9. Replies
    Views

A Chord Melody Christmas Present ...

Just in time for the holidays, a little gift from me to all of my mandolin playing friends ... I've arranged the classic Christmas song "Silent Night" as a chord melody for solo mandolin and offer it...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Flat Pick or Finger style?

I did this fingerstyle arrangement of In The Bleak Midwinter some time ago when I had a flat top Tobin octave mandolin

https://youtu.be/CalEMv9kS7s

I now have a nice Weber, carved top of...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: General thoughts on covering pop songs

The only time I'm aware of popular music these days is when somebody does an acoustic cover. When someone does something as inventive as this with a pop tune it reminds me not to be too sniffy about...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: That accursed tremolo...

I hope this helps.

I would also recommend patience. Once you know are doing it correctly, do it often. I usually tremolo everything a quarter note or longer.

X7vqNh5k96o
  13. Replies
    Views

Scottish Highland music videos

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=UUr_C_aWl13zOtVI-bZgAaoA

There's a whole host of new clips here compiled by the fine Isle of Lewis mandolinist Donnie MacDonald, which I'm sure will be of some...
  14. Steffey and Sierra- Big Sciota Transcription

Hey you guys! It has been a while since I've posted anything cause I'm getting ready for school here soon, but since I finished transcribing this song from youtube I thought I would share it!
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Classical octave mando and mandolin duo?

The beauty of octave mandolin is that you can read mandolin music, right?

Some free downloadable pieces by Rafaele Calace of varying degrees of difficulty. These are three books of easier pieces....
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: MandoBorg: Resistance Is Futile

Well, I choose to be like everyone else. But it's a lonely choice.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Find what you love and let it kill you.

"The tradition in which I participate is that of countless hard working men and women who come home from a day of work that is soul draining and synthetic, and play music as a way to reconnect with...
  18. Replies
    Views

Great piece. Thanks for that.

On a related note, here's a piece from the Onion, titled:

Find The Thing You're Most Passionate About, Then Do It On Nights And Weekends For The Rest Of Your Life...
  19. Replies
    Views

I think this is salient, in that--the rational calculation is increasingly left aside, when committing to such a life. Of course all of human life is really "absurd"--but to engage life in this...
  20. Replies
    Views

I think this is an often overlooked point. (I might disagree about television, but that's my personal axe.) But to create a life dominated by family and meaningful work is a gigantic thing.

The...
  21. Replies
    Views

"Only" playing what others have written? No hand in bringing the sonata into the world?

I disagree. Classical music is unique in that it actually requires two creators - the guy who conceived the...
  22. Replies
    Views

Well, also consider that for many people, what they love is taking care for their family, doing their job and watching TV. I think the weak link in the article is that such a lifestyle is presented...
  23. Replies
    Views

i like the link and the article a lot

i take exception to the idea that somehow, because of this person's path, he is irresponsibe, per se, or somehow a leach on society, or narcissistic. Focus...
  24. Replies
    Views

It is a counter-cultural act to create art or music when we live in such a consumeristic society. I think this is why we are seeing such a resurgence in the mandolin and banjo. People want to create...
  25. Replies
    Views

That's not really what I got out of it - I took away an all consuming passion for music, which I think is something most of us share, at least to an extent. I don't have the talent or guts to take it...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3