Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Roland White death?

This is sad news. Roland was a dear friend and was a joy to be around. He was always fun to jam with and made everyone in the jam feel like they were a star. I saw the character of Roland when he...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Tips for better rhythm playing

As the OP of this one I just wanna say thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply with great ideas and suggestions. I've already incorporated many into my practice routine.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Tips for better rhythm playing

To me, rhythmically and harmonically, the mandolin in an ensemble comes on top of everything else. If I were to play guitar in a guitar-mandolin duo I would gladly let the mandolin do all the...
  4. New music from Adrian Gross and Friends - Adeline

Usually don't do news releases around string band projects that happen to include mandolin because there are just too many of them. But Adrian Gross is among us and this project recorded during the...
  5. Article: Jethro Burns's Tea For One Rereleased by Acoustic Disc

You can view the page at https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/content/780-Jethro-Burns-s-Tea-For-One-Rereleased-by-Acoustic-Disc
  6. Replies
    Views

Andrew Marlin and Tommy Edwards

This was 34 minutes well spent and I thought other folks might enjoy it if you haven't seen it already. Great harmonies, great picking by both gentlemen and it was cool to hear Andrew picking a few...
  7. John Reischman & The Jaybirds, Deep End Sessions

One of the best total band sounds in all of bluegrass. And one of the best mandolinists on the planet. A whole set to enjoy.

QDNj9jmWi6M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDNj9jmWi6M
  8. Replies
    Views

Country Gazette - A Traitor In Our Midst era

Nice compilation video that is new to me

qLLLIYewwNI
  9. Thread: Leavin'

by AlanN
    Replies
    Views

Re: Leavin'

Ok, sports fans, mystery solved. The picker is Brian Wetzel, from Maryland. That video was shot ~ 1993. Info straight from the bass man who was...wait for it...playing bass at that show. I can now...
  10. Thread: Crosspicking

by Glassweb
    Replies
    Views

Re: Crosspicking

i've been called a "stylist" with my playing and i took it as a compliment! better a stylist than a "stylus" - a little, pointy-headed thing that gets stuck in one groove and keeps going around in...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Crosspicking

I think Jesse McReynolds was always recognized as a brilliant and very versatile innovator. I don't think he ever got "branded" (does that mean labelled, in a negative way?) as a stylist by anyone. I...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: An open letter to Classifieds users

If donating is not required, then it's not required and really, you shouldn't be surprised that some choose to not volunteer money. It fits their business model, but not yours.

I'm surprised you...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Crosspicking Definition

I asked David Grier whether he used DDU, McReynold's Roll or Alternating Rolls when he did crosspicking.

He said "Yes."

Then he demonstrated two or three other out of the box, unconventional...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: O'Brien, McCoury, Thile - Bluegrass Stomp

That's hilarious. Bill Monroe sprayed notes around like a blender with the top left off. Not to denigrate him in the least, mind you.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Tremolo Paradox

Man, both those were just great. I really like the mellow tone and musicianship on Cantabile! As for Aonzo, he is truly a gifted player. It was interesting to see him plucking the open string bass...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Paul Buskirk

I've heard some astonishing mandolin and electric mandolin playing from Paul Buskirk
    on Nashville recordings from the 1950s. Unfortunately I no longer have those recordings...
    He was very flashy,...
  17. Thread: Paul Buskirk

by Jon Hall
    Replies
    Views

Re: Paul Buskirk

Paul was a friend of mine. The videos were home video recordings that Paul made 15 - 20 years ago and gave the dvd to his friends. The instrument he's playing is a hollow body, electric mandola that...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Jethro Burns Method

I have these 3:

Jethro_BluegrassMandolinTechniques_MelBayBook
    Jethro_MandolinPickingSolos_MelBayBook
    Jethro_MandolinPlayer_MelBayBook
    (this last one is the one I floated the photo of)

which...
  19. Replies
    Views

Never say die. New inspiration is just around the corner.
  20. Replies
    Views

Well-described, Jeroen. I have all 3 and still can't give Jethro's Tune justice :mandosmiley: and I dropped them all down to .pdf for ease of access, hasn't really helped.
  21. Re: How Many LOAR Mandos Do You Think are Stil Out There??

Pardon me?
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: the all mighty chop.

Indeed, the ever-present, metronomic chop is a recent development. Now, the Osborne-Duffey-Wakefield era also chopped, a lot; same with the Grisman-Bush-Roland White era, but the tick tick tick of...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Scotland Referendum

Folks, it's a big old Internet with many places to discuss politics. Feel free to take this to any of those sites. This isn't the place.
  24. Replies
    Views

Clifford Brown's Solo on Joy Spring

Here's a little project that I've been working on lately... Joy Spring and Clifford's solo from the 1955 album Clifford Brown and Max Roach. Doesn't lay out super easy on the mandolin, but it's a...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Bluegrass Songs In a Minor Key?

"Muddy Waters" as by the Seldom Scene; "Imitation of the Blues" by Larry Sparks.
    Beware Folks, sometimes a minor chord is like a big hole where all the energy of a song disappears.:)
Page 1 of 2 1 2