Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Total noob wanting to get a mandolin

David McLaughlin states some of those Harmony mandolins sound pretty darn good--one of the best mandolin players out there. I have one and can attest to that also...far better sounding than a cheap...
  2. Re: Considering a trade - is it me or the mandolin?

Do whatever is going to bring you happiness. Trade her off and get that scroll man!
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin in the Hospital???

As a nurse myself, I love the idea. I recently took care of a patient that was pretty awesome on the harmonica--said they took it everywhere since they were 10 years old. Also, I recall, long ago...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Do you name your instruments?

I jokingly call my children numbers 1-3...my kids call my mandolin #4. I do sometimes give it a kiss goodnight so there’s that...
  5. Re: Anyone Else Using Chris Henry's Monroe Video Lessons?

Compared to Chris's individual song lessons? Have you purchased one of these or just the MSI 1? If not, you should...buy the lesson on Jerusalem Ridge...or Lochwood...they're incredible.

I just...
  6. Re: (re-posted) Bury me under the Weeping Willow Tree / Amythyst

Here’s another gem, she’s so talented:

https://youtu.be/ovzdZLXWnIg
  7. Re: Looking for some insight into microtonal mandolin

Super interesting pursuit. There is a place, scene, environment, an emotion, a moment for this kind of music, I can’t place it and perhaps that’s the beauty in it.

It’s ok to not be in love with...
  8. Replies
    Views

Inspiring Dawg Interview

Thought I'd go ahead and share this video of Chris Henry interviewing the Dawg to make sure every mandolin enthusiast gets to hear the Dawg's thoughts on musical goals/philosophy. Very cool. There...
  9. Re: Is there a mando equivalent to Flatpick Guitar Magazine?

Yes, you’re pretty much at the equivalent...mandolin articles, a hub for all things mandolin...this is your mandolin magazine of the digital age.
  10. Re: Article: Acoustic Disc Launches New Web Presence

Dawg, I’ve got your wife’s art proudly hanging in my studio—bought at a show in Portland a while back—signed by you of course. Your encouragement of the female artist, in whatever form, is obvious if...
  11. Re: A tune I wrote for octave mandolin - Something Squirrelly

That was awesome! Thanks for sharing. Well done!
  12. Re: Is playing TABS detrimental to really learning?

I think they each have pros and cons. I think one of the biggest benefits of standard notation is the ability to play all kinds of music that’s available. When I was a tab addict, I would search high...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: New tune I wrote, "Red Winged Blackbird"

Awesome. Nice job Amanda!
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Cafe User: Br1ck

I’m not sure why it’s necessary to refer to other musicians, regardless of their time spent in pursuit of an endless journey, as newbies, as something “less-than.” I’ve recognized this trend you...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Breedlove American 00

Well...did you buy it? I recently owned a Breedlove Legacy FF, 2013. Picked it up cheap locally. Basically brand new. It was very well built. Considering the, IMO, inflated prices of Eastmans and...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

Nice work Trader! Keep it up my man!
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Wedding song suggestions ?

Choose something upbeat and exciting! Something that makes others want to dance instead of cry.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Thoughts on mandolin, new member.

Hello and welcome! The consensus here is that Eastmans and Kentuckys are the perfect starter mandolins, from what I have read over time. There are of course a few other outliers that are good...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Alternate Picking Convention

This concept in general terms is basically frowned upon. As you improve you will, in most cases, want your down strokes on the down beat. mike Marshall among others are very passionate about this as...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: How to Sell a Mandolin?

Yeah, I would steer clear of ebay...that 10% they require and then the paypal fees will kill you. I just sold a mandolin I had on here for two months to a person on craigslist in a day. I had it...
  21. Replies
    Views

Acoustic Disc Solos...Free.

Has anyone seen this: http://www.acousticdisc.com/acd_html/1.html

Seems The Dawg has revamped his site and offered some sweet transcriptions by John Mcgann of solos on certain albums and a new one...
  22. Re: Where can I learn MacReynolds crosspicking?

Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bRSbr2gDok
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Bad Company - Mandolin Intro

Looks and sounds like the introduction is just open chords: D C G D

The rest of the chord's and lyrics can be found here:...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Beginner here. Need Help

First off, Welcome to the Cafe! The Cafe will likely be your best resource for learning and Mandolin Geek-dom of all kinds, so keep coming back and asking questions.

Don Julin's Mandolin For...
  25. Wicked Twisted Mando a 1 year celebration

Just a recording of me celebrating my 1 year return to music. I attempted to learn the mandolin several years ago off and on, but quit in 2012 for unknown reasons. I found $1500 in an old bank...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3