Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Show off your back side

180140 My Collings180141
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Help with a solo performance?

I would play a mandola, which will work perfectly for the setting you describe (unaccompanied solo instrumentals) and satisfies the "mandolin" criterion. The 5th down solves the plinkiness and...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Bass guitar in Celtic music

No agreement that it is very well done and sounds very smooth and professional. The concertina gives it a slightly different texture, but I can understand that some are turned off by the background...
  4. Re: Collings MF O (oval hole), who has one/thoughts of it

We have a Collings MT 0 that is very popular in our house (preferred over a number of more expensive instrument). An unusual voice, compared to any f-hole Collings (I have an F Deluxe, previously had...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Father & son play together

My son came home from college yesterday (and really just for a day, he's already off to Europe) and we played a few tunes. Was a nice thing to do sitting out in the backyard. He mainly plays fiddle...
  6. Re: What mandolins does the LA Phil play in Corigliano Symphony

Actually, Guido Lamell, the LA Phil member who organized the mando quartet, was looking for volume. Think about how many threads there are on the cafe how people want a loud instrument for small...
  7. Re: F2 repeatedly broken headstock - time for a new neck?

Impossible to know what might have been done in the past. I bought the instrument from Elderly more than a decade ago, the only known repair or work at the instrument was at the headstock then. Even...
  8. Re: What mandolins does the LA Phil play in Corigliano Symphony

Let's say $500-900 mandolins at least by list price (my camping mandolin is the exception, $200 is about right).

Reframes the idea of what constitutes a "professional mandolin", doesn't it?
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Celtic - what should I listen to?

No doubt, early Dubliners were an innovative and hugely popular group in the 60s, together with the Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makeham. Dubliners may have been the group that established the Irish...
  10. Replies
    Views

Andy Irvine played mandolin in Planxty, although probably more often bouzouki or octave mandolin, so you'll hear a bit.

The suggestions so far seems influential recordings and/or compilation of...
  11. Replies
    Views

Yes, the world has changed, Amazon prime now delivers in 2 days, or immediate download. 10 years ago, this would have been a long hunt to find it. Very mesmerizing how the two played together, the...
  12. Replies
    Views

Thesession.org is very helpful to identify the most popular tunes (see how many people put them into their tunebooks), sources of recordings, and occasionally even alternative ABCs. However, it is...
  13. Replies
    Views

It depends a bit on your goal, are you looking
    a) for a set of standard tunes that most session players would know?
    b) Well known songs?
    c) Or just an introduction to more successful/influential...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins with thinner necks

look for an early Collings. Their necks were too small for me (narrow and V) and I sold them. I had one great MT2 that I only sold because of the narrow neck. Tastes differ because Ashley Broder...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: R.I.P. Jim Hall

I've been a fan of Jim Hall for more than 30 years. Sparse playing that even works in small settings, like a duo. My favorite CD (which I wore out in vinyl) is Alone Together, a live recording just...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Want a really loud metronome

We have a few mechanical Wittners and that is all I use, the big wooden pendulum metronomes. I have tried many electronic metronomes over the years, a few smaller mechanical metronomes (like pocket...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Balydesmond Polka and ???

Doug C posted a version of the missing one, although it really isn't A dorian (I'd say it is in D). The other posters gave versions of the two standard ones. Numbers don't mean anything, the two Am...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Genre Question (Ragtime)

Gershwins Prelude 2 strikes me as a somewhat peculiar idea of ragtime. Maybe Afternoon of a Faun rag next.

But back to some mandolin content and where ragtime/blues/jazz touches old-time/country....
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Genre Question (Ragtime)

I would almost unambiguously put it into jazz, swing, blues, etc. category.

I can see an argument for the old-time, early country bin, but even when you think about the more basic country rags,...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: This is just wrong

Not only ukulele-powered, also lyrics that would be "oh so wrong" at your Sunday bluegrass festivals. It gets worse, the fiddler on the far left in the video picks up even more questionable...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: More Nordic?

Oh no, I violated Scott's rules about embedding videos and posted a link instead, so I better fix that. Our family twin mando version: pYc0pvXVNKI

It is a rainy night in Southern California and ...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: More Nordic?

A number of tunes are posted on www.pelimanni.fi, some very good and detailed transcriptions as well. You may need Google translator, which most of the time will get you a somewhat understandable...