Search:

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Keeping up with the Fiddlers

to cull from other suggestions: you don't have to play every note; you don't need to play ornaments; mandolin is normally quieter than the fiddles, so if you make a mistake, nobody can actually hear...
  2. Re: Overcoming halted progress and frustration

I don't have any advice except that sometimes you need to just take a break, play something entirely different and then come back to it, although I don't have any real suggestions on timing.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: My Journey so far.

In addition to adding my 2 cents about double checking your mandolin technique (which, as was mentioned, is not guitar technique -- case in point, it's good guitar technique to hold your hand...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: playing late and drinking

Individual capacity for alcohol varies and so do the effects. So it's not a one-size-fits all kind of thing. I spent some time as a bartender when I was in college, and my experience was that your...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Depth

anecdotally, my bandolims are noticeably deeper than my snake or Eastman and they seem to have a warmer tone and longer sustain/ring. Just a note from someone who doesn't study this stuff.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: First post

you'd probably get more attention to this if you create a new post under either 'looking for information about mandolins' or 'vintage instruments.' Just a suggestion.
  7. Re: Looking for a damaged or ultra cheap mandolin

Also, Musician's Friend normally has a $99 mandolin if you're up for spending that kind of money.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Guitar player wanting to learn mandolin

Also a reminder that often crops up in these strings: a mandolin is not a little guitar played upsidedown. it is a separate instrument with its own history, technique, strengths, weaknesses and...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: What's GDAE and audible in a session?

i agree with amanda if the point is to stand out in the crowded session; tenor banjo can be heard over a lot of stuff, as can a banjolin, and i've found that expressive playing in the middle of a...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Robin Williamson mandolin

That's the book that got me into ITM. We had the initial book with the little red plastic record and, when we loaned it to someone and they walked off with it, we got the version with the CD. It's...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: A mandolin beginner’s journey.

The people on this site are really a treasure -- their experience and helpfulness are without parallel!
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Tips for new mandolin

do you plan on playing plugged in? sometimes it's better to get a better instrument and then use a bridge mike or other option to upgrade the electronics, kind of separate the two and get the best...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Mando Deoderant

Judging by the packaging, i'd think this was targeted to the Real MANdo in the pack. i guess i'll just have to retire with my bowlback and use products that rely heavily on pink to sell.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Busking with limberjacks

One of our fiddlers makes limberjacks and when he's got an audience, he'll put down the fiddle and make the man dance. it's great to have it as part of our gigs. the one he normally uses for our...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Ability to Jam

putting in my oar a week late ... but don't hesitate to attend the jam simply as a listener without your instrument. For one thing, it will help you familiarize yourself with the regulars, their...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Know of any musician retreat centers?

There's Acadia trad camp -- you can attend classes and sessions and concerts and whatnot but you may be able to just hang and play in your room or outside; you can reach out to them and see if they...
  17. Re: New Member, new mando, question about picks....

just a suggestion that what you hear and what you sound like could very well be different, so if you're doing an a/b test to see which pick works best, have another ear along to help out. and be...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: First Post - Greetings!

glad to have you! enjoy the journey!
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Should I bother?..

well, if you don't order it, in 2 years you'll still be 70 but without a cool mandolin.
  20. Re: Do bowlbacks take different strings?

I started on a Suzuki bowlback and was perfectly happy learning on one -- especially because I'm fairly small myself and the scale length suited me. OTOH, I put it away for a few decades with medium...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Introduction of a new member

Welcome to you and your daughter to the crazy world of mandolin!
  22. Re: Mandolin Cafe Member Bogle Has Passed Away

So sorry to see this -- condolences to his many friends, family and those who only knew him through the cafe.
  23. Replies
    Views

Poll: Re: How often do you tune your Mandolin?

well, every time it goes out of tune. So it depends. Are the strings new? needs tuning until they stretch. Warm and then cold in the room? needs tuning. Playing with others? can't abide being out of...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Banjo or banjolin?

I reached out to the Hall of Fame and let them know they had mislabeled the "banjo" and I got a very nice response from one of the archivists confirming the information with a note that they'll...
  25. Replies
    Views

Banjo or banjolin?

I visited the Rock Hall of Fame last week and snapped this shot because, well, mandolin. And i saw it was labeled as a 'banjo' and just said to myself, uh, no.

Unless I'm wrong?

Anyway, thought...
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4