Search:

Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Current state of the art flat top mandolin

This is my latest 4th generation flat top mandolin. This is the culmination of 12 years of work improving the sound of the flat top mandolin. It all started from the fact that it is possible to...
  2. A customer playing a baroque mandolin I built

wc88GAcDsrY

I wasn't sure where to put this since it's not technically a video of me. It's also both lutherie/builder content and a video. Hopefully this is OK.

Here's some pictures of the...
  3. Mandolinist wins Celtic Connections 2024 Young musician prize

Calum McIlroy, the winner of BBC Radio Scotland Young Traditional Musician 2024, performs G Iomain na Gamhna for crowds in Glasgow’s

https://youtu.be/JFTqiVEjK-Q?feature=shared

JFTqiVEjK-Q
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Yet Another CF Mandolin?

Demo by The Pickpockets' Dante Giacobassi

n9tsxOJEcUs
  5. Re: RECOVERED: Stolen Gibson F-4 Mandolin Serial #66824

Last week the top brace repair was completed by Tom Crandall and I went back to the city and picked it up at the shop. We raised the action a bit and it sounded and played great. I asked Tom what...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Tom Smothers

The Smother’s Brothers were an incredible influence my life. The hard part of getting old is seeing the people you love and respect leave this world. They were as good as it could get.
  7. RECOVERED Re: Stolen Gibson F-4 Mandolin Serial #66824

My lost 1922 Gibson F4 mandolin has been found, here is the story…

Last week I received an email correspondence, through my website, from a operations supervisor of a retailers distribution...
  8. Re: Waverley Bar session, Edinburgh, December 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWx4SBHYQls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1xX1t3oNf0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2dPg8XL_tg
  9. Waverley Bar session, Edinburgh, December 2023

A few videos from a regular session, led by top Scottish singer/guitarist George Duff, where ex Tannahill Weaver/Ossian/Easy Club fiddle maestro John Martin can be heard. And the legendary Cathal...
  10. Replies
    Views

Odd mandolin

Happy holidays, everyone. I noticed this very odd mandolin in a vintage photo for sale on ebay. The headstock looks like a Gibson; maybe the body is not original. Any thoughts?

Here's the whole...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: What's GDAE and audible in a session?

That's not fair maxr - the bodhran players always know it.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: What's GDAE and audible in a session?

It’s basically very easy Max. For your benefit atnd that of our American cousins -

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when...
  13. Re: My visit to Northfield Mandolins and Elderly Instruments

One more observation about Northfield before commenting and a few pics of Elderly Instruments. Of all of the NF mandolins I played I really fell in love with one of the Artist series models. But the...
  14. Replies
    Views

God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen

This will probably be my last Christmas-related recording for the year. Here's a frantic version of God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen, performed on my Weber octave mandolin.

Thanks for listening and...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Why is bluegrass played so fast?

Some of us only play it half-fast.
  16. Free irish Session Tunebook Out For Community Comment!

Hey All,

My music teacher and I developed an Irish trad tunebook that we're putting out here for all to use. I know there’s already a few out there, but this one’s ours! It contains tabs and...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: TSA mandolin incident

It's nice to have an instrument that looks good in black & white. :))

https://cdn.artcld.com/img/w_1920,h_1920,c_fit/1328eoj90scnpzjdo9ie.jpg
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: TSA mandolin incident

After having my carry-on luggage strip searched a few times a kindly TSA agent pointed out that my harmonicas in their case look just like gun magazines on the x ray. Now I pull them out and keep the...
  19. Replies
    Views

TSA mandolin incident

Was flying today and had one of my mandos with me, an f-style, in a soft case.

After it went through the X-ray machine, the TSA agent operating the X-ray said "Sir, what kind of guitar is this?"
  20. Replies
    Views

The Folksmen - Start Me Up

So in the spirit of something you don't see everyday...:mandosmiley:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGqo_yFQoU8
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Antique Photo of a Mandolin of the Day

Jim, let's see if the quote sticks this time...
    I don't recall how a search for some songs led me to your post of the New York Herald news clip, but that's what I sent to the Library of Congress...
  22. Replies
    Views

The long road back begins at last

In late September last year, I nearly chopped off the index and middle fingers of my left hand with my table saw. The blade cut cleanly through the tendons, bone and nerves,leaving only some skin and...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Sinéad O'Connor

No one compares to her. What a fabulous, thrilling, emotionally charged performance. One for the ages. Now she's for the ages. :(

Rest in peace, restless soul.

0-EF60neguk
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a pic of your cat sleeping in your case

RIP Smudge, the best cat I ever knew and champion sampler of catnip mandolins. 4/1/06 - 6/6/23

207923 207924 207925
  25. Clip of Wish You Were Here (Pink Floyd) from our full gig video

A fun gig was had last week, here's a short clip of us playing Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd.

You can click through and see the full video, as well (song names and timestamps in the...
Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 4