Search:

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

2020 tribute Vessel A model

<Using this space solely for the purpose of entertaining and accepting offers for sale of instruments violates Forum posting guidelines. This will need to be sold elsewhere on the internet.>

From...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Value of a good restorer

Adrian, you are completely wrong. Well restored top cracks do not reduce the value 50%. That is absolute rubbish. This violin has been appraised at a price over 10X what a cheap German violin is...
  3. Replies
    Views

Thank you everyone.
    I forgot to add a little about the violins history. The previous owner, Harry Clapperton, worked for the White Star Line company. He was a violinist on their ship the Adriatic....
  4. Replies
    Views

Just about finished with this incredible violin. Brought to me about 10 months ago. Here are a few shots of before, during and after. Very challenging but very worth it. Built in Tourney Belgium in...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Reverb Gibson 2 Point

Don’t blame me. At least I tell you all when I make a fake! ��
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: New Vessel Loar A5 tribute

That’s the best comment so far
  7. Replies
    Views

To Bill McCalls statement, yes of course I sell them. I do charge more as they are a ton more work and they always include some vintage hardware. Those things get expensive. Having Loar tailpiece...
  8. Replies
    Views

Thank you Scott. I think allowing these kinds of discussions actually increases our knowledge about these fine details. Expertise in the violin field has improved by huge leaps since the internet....
  9. Replies
    Views

There are interior signs that it is not an original item, aside from freely posting my work on the internet.
  10. Replies
    Views

Is anyone bothered by this?
  11. Replies
    Views

Not at all. Make a Vessel copy for us to see your work.
  12. Replies
    Views

Go ahead. But first you’d have to be willing to sell your F models for $485. That’s about the same ratio one pays for one of mine compared to a Loar. A $485 Vessel copy would likely increase my sales...
  13. Replies
    Views

I wish I was a better player, but I’ll see what I can do.
  14. Replies
    Views

Maybe you could start a Mike Black thread.
    I’m sure he’d appreciate the attention. It always feels good when people share what they own or enjoy playing.
  15. Replies
    Views

I have a form from the first mandolin I ever made in 1992. It was from a 1918 A4. I also had measured an early snakehead years ago and had a template for that. I have a hand scribbled list of...
  16. Replies
    Views

Bill, yes I was going to have a killer booth this year. The octave and this A5 and another F5. Maybe next year. Miss it a lot.
  17. Replies
    Views

Thanks everyone. There’s always so much to learn when you try to copy something. It’s an exercise that improves your ability to see something. Looking and seeing are two different things. The...
  18. Replies
    Views

New Vessel Loar A5 tribute

Here is my latest. Not an exact Griffith copy, as I have not seen the original. But more of a concept instrument of the possible existence of a second Loar signed A5.
    Pic guard by Darryl Wolfe,...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Concerning Loar copy mandolins

Coming from the violin world, a copyist is only a copyist if they are able to make instruments look like the real article. That’s not to say we all don’t make Stradivari patterns or models. That is...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Fern Loar F5 Attic Find

I’m not sure how anyone can say that the pic with Garcia is a 30’s mandolin. All we can see for sure is that it’s a fern.
  21. Re: O.M. neck length - short or long , pros and cons ?

This is 20.5” and has PLENTY of sustain and volume. There’s no exact recipe for either of these factors. This one happens to work. I joined the neck to the body at the 13th fret, like Gibson...
  22. Replies
    Views

I’m not sure that greed has anything to do with this story. What I heard from the son yesterday is that his father had a series of bad choices or unfortunate events happen. He hasn’t seen his dad...
  23. Replies
    Views

The mans son knows he has no legal position in regard to ownership. He’s hoping to make a settlement that would be fair to the current owner too. Hard spot to be in. I feel for the family.
  24. Replies
    Views

I have an update on this attic find Loar. Everybody was shocked to learn that this instrument was purchased at a flea market two years ago for $25. That story is true, sadly. This morning I received...
  25. Re: New Vessel Octave- my homage to the whiteface era

I’ll try to get a clip put together
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4