Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: A composition elamoR from my new mandola album.

Very nice. I`m a big fan of your style of music. Be well.
  2. Thread: Muth F-Style

by AW Meyer
    Replies
    Views

Re: Muth F-Style

I had Larry build me one back 2006. It's a wonderful mandolin. Larry used to have property in Chilliwack, BC where he spent his winters. He was a neighbor of Michael Heiden. They spent a lot of time...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: SNARK ST-2 Super Tight Clip On Tuner

I have been using Snark tuners for years and have found no particular accuracy problems. I purchased a Peterson Strobe tuner about five years ago and rarely use it. In my opinion the Peterson and...
  4. Replies
    Views

Good News For Oliver Apitius Mandolin Fans

For those of you who love Apitius mandolins, the good news is that he's back and building after a ten-year break.

http://www.apitiusmandolins.com/
  5. Replies
    Views

Chris Thile and Edgar Meyer in Vancouver

Went to see Chris and Edgar last night. The Chan Centre at the University of British Columbia is a wonderful venue for such a performance. My wife and I had third row centre seats, which enabled us...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Jazzing up 12 bar blues progression

It's all about chord substitutions. A common "jazzy" way of playing a 12 bar blues is to take a simple G7 - C7 - D7 (1-4-5) progression, and substitute this way, for example: G7-E7- Am7-D7-G7...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: USB interface recommendations

Jason, a few years ago I picked up a set of Sennheiser HD 477 phones. I got them at Future Shop for around $100. They are excellent phones for not a lot of money. The 477's don't seem to be around...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Skip Kelley, Ed Dodson, and Jim Conard

Thanks for posting this. Great pickin' and singin'.
  9. Thread: Bernabe #29

by AW Meyer
    Replies
    Views

Re: Bernabe #29

Great looking mandolin. Well done.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: John Pearse strings

I use Pearse strings and like them a lot. They do seem to be susceptible to early death, depending on one's body chemistry. I'm fortunate in that I don't seem to have string-killing sweat. I have...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Fingering Mechanics and Technique

Wayne Fugate's "Mastering Mandolin" covers pretty well everything you are asking about....
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Beguine in Rag-time by A D Boden

Bravo Andy. Very nice.
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Vincent Black Lightning 52'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q27KfIt8HAI think it's a great song. I like the original, I enjoy the McCoury version and I enjoy Grandpa Banana's version as well.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Recording mandos

Hey Mike, check out Fran Guidry's blogs. There is a lot of excellent information on home recording, including how to make your own reflection panels for not much money. There are lots of demos. I've...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Red bear picks

From the Red Bear Trading Company's Facebook page:
    Ok, so here's what we are up to, and what we've just been through. Starting in late May and through out June, my wife has had to endure chemo...
  16. Replies
    Views

Tom Ellis "We Should Build Mandolins"

I saw this profile of Tom Ellis posted on the Fretboard Journal site. I don't think anyone has posted this on the Cafe.

http://vimeo.com/67614414
  17. Re: Premium Luthiers/Mandos No Longer In Production

For Oliver Apitius fans:
    http://www.folkwaymusic.com/vintage-instruments/mandolins-banjos-ukuleles/apitius-f-0413/
  18. Thread: "Magic Foot"

by AW Meyer
    Replies
    Views

Re: "Magic Foot"

If you want the real deal: http://www.russbarenberg.com/digstore.cfm
  19. Replies
    Views

Punch Brothers: Vancouver last night

My wife and I drove across town to see the Punch Brothers last night. It was a long drive, but well worth it. The venue was the Chan Centre at the University of British Columbia. It's a wonderful...
  20. Great stuff! I've been a NGR fan for years. It's...

Great stuff! I've been a NGR fan for years. It's too bad that Pat's guitar solos didn't come through a little better in the mix.
    Google just bought You Tube, by the way.
  21. Replies
    Views

More driftwood and ocean:

More driftwood and ocean:
  22. Replies
    Views

In keeping with the driftwood theme, here's a pic...

In keeping with the driftwood theme, here's a pic of my Muth on the beach at Qualicum, BC on Vancouver Island.
  23. Replies
    Views

I, too, have just been working my way through the...

I, too, have just been working my way through the book. Prior to getting the book, I just kind of looked to "discover" patterns up the neck that work -- a kind of haphazard method. Brad's book has...