Search:

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Thread: Two Red Kents

by mrmando
    Replies
    Views

Two Red Kents

Kent 744 electrics aren't easy to find. When you do find them, they're usually sunburst.

They also come in blonde, and I've had two of the blondes pass through my hands, although not at the same...
  2. Thread: Santa Morena

by diptanshu
    Replies
    Views

Santa Morena

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMkeWRhmrOs&lc=UgwvxO9pFnaXVndXeQ94AaABAg
  3. Replies
    Views

NMD: Sawchyn Beavertail OM

After playing for 50 years and never suffering MAS, I caught a serious case this summer when I bought my APC mandocello. I think I reached Stage 2, and the symptom is this brand new Beavertail...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Roland White death?

This is sad news. Roland was a dear friend and was a joy to be around. He was always fun to jam with and made everyone in the jam feel like they were a star. I saw the character of Roland when he...
  5. Replies
    Views

The Waltz You Saved For Me

I had to clear my head from that banjo-mandolin:grin:. Thanks for Listen'n:mandosmiley:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA41nQ3sAHM
  6. Re: Dry Tone what is it and what defines it?

I think or Dry as a strong fundamental with some fo the overtones that give ti depth, I perceive wet as a diminished fundaments with stronger overtone, I perceive woody as strong fundamental with...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Volume vs Tone

So the obvious question after hearing these accounts from J. Condino and Dan Rosenberg:

"Is there any need to buy an expensive instrument at all? Why not just play a $300 guitar or an affordable...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Pick Review for an Apollo Casein 1.4mm

Almost forgot to mention! I added one more Gilchrist into the mix for these reviews because I know y'all wouldn't mind it. ;)

CoZAf12IH7c
  9. Replies
    Views

Pick Review for an Apollo Casein 1.4mm

This video is especially made for Cafe members! I know we always talk a lot about equipment, and picks are definitely no exception here. So I thought I'd make an exhaustive review of the Apollo pick...
  10. Re: Tennis elbow in the picking arm - how to avoid it?

Thanks so much for reminding me to watch Pete's economics videos! The one about holding the mandolin is a must view - I've been messing around with strap length, and how I wear the strap to...
  11. Re: Tennis elbow in the picking arm - how to avoid it?

The business about wrist curls (a flat out cure for me) is from the book "Sports Health" by Southmayd and Hoffman. There's more info there.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: NMD Stanley A5 #68

I’m of the belief that Chris applied something to the interior of his mandolins to combat shifts in humidity and later compared notes with Charlie Derrington.
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson finally fixed their fretboards

And then they could fix the scroll shape at least back to where it was pre-flood.
  14. C. Assad, "Song for My Father": New American Mandolin Ensemble

This is a performance of Clarice Assad’s “Song for My Father” (Sergio Assad), by the New American Mandolin Ensemble, from a concert in Steenwijk, The Netherlands, in 2014. The piece was originally...
  15. Replies
    Views

RIP Arthur Stern

I haven't seen it mentioned here, but Arthur was a friend to everyone in the mandolin world and a brilliant artist. He was a long time forum contributor and a fountain of knowledge and experience...
  16. New John Reischman Album - New Time & Old Acoustic

John Reischman just revealed the album cover and name of his upcoming solo album on Instagram and we have something to add to this. Some info at the link below which appears on his new Instagram...
  17. Re: What's the big deal about changing strings?

I cut my stringing time by more than half by changing to the method shown towards the end of this video. Seems obvious once to do it a couple of times.
  18. Re: What price level and up gets you a "lifelong keeper" mandolin

I think "lifelong keeper" is down more to how the mandolin sounds and feels to play vs. a price range guaranteeing "keeper" status. Years ago I had a really great Weber Gallatin F that I got second...
  19. Learning The Basics -vs- Being A Slave To The Basics

Some examples of "teaching the basics" you'll see a lot when questions are asked:

Left hand position & technique:

Keep the left hand relaxed
    Angle the fingers like a fiddler would
    Don't choke...
  20. Replies
    Views

Sensível, a Choro Vals from Pixinguinha

It is a solo arrangement of Pixinguinha´s Choro Vals Sensível, originally made for mandolin but performed here on mandola. The basic of the arrangement can be found in Mike Marshall´s Choro Book...
  21. Re: how do you prevent and get rid of hand cramps

If you haven't already tried this, figure out just how much pressure you need apply to the strings with your left hand fingers to get the notes to sound cleanly. Then practice playing a bit...
  22. Re: how do you prevent and get rid of hand cramps

All great advice here. I would add to RELAX. Music, sports, piloting jets all require you to be able to perform complicated physical and mental tasks while remaining relaxed. Or, you'll tighten up,...
  23. Re: Get Well Soon Dennis! (Owner of The Mandolin Store)

Hey guys....I’ve been running fevers for about 10 days and the Drs are trying to figure it out. It’s not Covid....they tested that twice now which probably makes like 12 of those I’ve had in the...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Chambered body, electric mandolin

Hi Guys,
    Hope that you’re all keeping well and safe. The chambered body electric mandolin is now complete and here’s the final video. There are some nice photos and a demo to show how it all works....
  25. New chord melody video-Aaron Weinstein-The Best Thing For You

with the Apitius Yorkville Jazz Mandolin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G10CqQgH51k
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4