Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Humidity control, ay ay ay

Like the OP, I live in Maryland. My house is a Victorian Queen Anne built 1900. Air tight? I might as well be living in a tent. It is a large house and so I have a music room with pocket doors. ...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Any chance of identifying this mandolin?

I notice that the mandolin in the picture has f holes as Mike mentions, the shape of the fingerboard end is typical of a Harmony in the late 30s with single cut f holes. as opposed to the segmented...
  3. Replies
    Views

The one in the photo posted by Mike is a Supertone 372made by Harmony. Harmony made a more expensive version which the company sold under the Valencia name.
    Here is another and I seem to have Rick...
  4. Replies
    Views

Parts of it are identifiable. Whomever built the one in your picture probably built this one too. Yours has F holes and a different head stock shape but the end of the fretboard and that tailpiece...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: New player with new instrument headache!

Back in the late 70’s, as a teen, I went on a month long NOLS (National Outdoor Leadership School) course out in middle of the Uinta-Wasatch wilderness. We weren’t allowed to bring anything...
  6. Re: multi-instrumentalists: how do you manage your time?

I don’t, I am entirely ruled by my passions, and I have no control over what I will do next.
  7. Thread: B7b9

by Don Stiernberg
    Replies
    Views

Re: B7b9

assuming the B7b9 leads to the Em as in Autumn Leaves, that voicing that is effectively a diminished chord is what you want. Alan's voicing puts the b9 pitch on the bottom. Remember that the...
  8. Thread: B7b9

by DavidKOS
    Replies
    Views

Re: B7b9

Using the dim 7 chord a half-step above the root is a standard jazz player formula for the 7b9 chord.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: New Northfield A5 special coming my way

Well it finally arrived around 10 this morning. Opened it up about an hour or so ago and am so enjoying this new sound for me. Obviously a little bit louder and fuller with greater bass response and...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Late Night Trashy Mandolin Music

Oh, my, yes - please do! That would be great to see. Ever since first seeing this referenced, I've considered it one of the most enjoyable published appraisals of mandolin music, right up there with...
  11. Replies
    Views

So I found the reference from the newspaper I was reading in 1990 (posted below) online just now but I've yet to find the original article from the actual paper from that date, but at least I know...
  12. Replies
    Views

Not that I'm aware of since I was the one that dug it up, so to speak. I intended to go to the public library today and see about getting a copy. It's fairly short but I don't have a copy myself and...
  13. Left With Nothing, But Time ( Original )

Here's another tune I had to get out my head. Thanks for the listen!:mandosmiley:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTVtg5IYVY0
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: New Mando... Hamlett Two-Point

Hey Everyone!

I couldn’t resist. Here’s a brief, informal video capturing some of the sound. More later!

https://youtu.be/WCDBPACBAUg
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Beginner Lessons philosophy/discussion

Some comments on your beginner lessons philosophy. A less tactical and more strategic answer.

I would definitely try too hard. Just head down and go after it.

I think most people start with...
  16. Replies
    Views

Homeward Bound by Eden Macadam-Somer

This is a performance of Eden Macadam-Somer's lovely bluegrass/old-time-inspired, "Homeward Bound," by the New American Mandolin Ensemble (NAME) from a concert in Steenwijk, The Netherlands, in early...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Key of the song based on the melody

Far be it from me to contradict the great Don S and that certainly is a way to look at it. However, I think the confusion is in our notation system. Essentially, if a tune is notated with two sharps...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: New picks and pick noise

I think you are correct in saying we are used to cheap picks. It is a pre-conditioning. But as the type of pick makes much more difference in how the mandolin sounds and plays, the choice of pick is...
  19. Replies
    Views

"Duck Wash" ( Original )

This is a tune inspired by ducks. Thanks for the listen! :mandosmiley:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgDZcc1zW5o
  20. Replies
    Views

Funk Mandolin - "Kiss" by Prince

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSseN0A3kRw