Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: playing late and drinking

it is possible you are more relaxed about it and so it sounds better, and I 've known people who can be stumbling drunk and then land a dart in the bullseye from across the room (I'm not one of...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Average cost for Mandolin set up

FYI lots of knowledgable women on this forum as well.
  3. Re: Has anyone heard about a crazy mandolinist named Frank Wakefi

Here's a new recording that even the old time Frank Wakefield fans may not have seen yet. Just shared in the last few days after a visit from Michael Daves and Tony Trischka.

4. Re: Has anyone heard about a crazy mandolinist named Frank Wakefi

Yes. Both are very nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUF_bdepwPA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4ZFDinP5XQ
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Bridge/Saddle Leaning

It has happened to me with string changes. It's funny how the reflection of the strings on the top can fool your eyes.
  6. Thread: Swannanoa

by Drew Egerton
    Replies
    Views

Re: Swannanoa

Absolute mandolin heaven on Earth. I got to play Cedar Hill and Janice with Mike Marshall and Darol Anger. I got to play Ricochet with Darol, Joe K Walsh and 15 other friends. I met many new friends...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Seven Come Eleven - CGP with Dawg

Tommy and David played a good number of shows promoting the CD. I was lucky enough to see them at the Charleston Music Hall, a wonderful venue. Just an incredible show. This video was taken by...
  8. Replies
    Views

Eastman customer service

I have an Eastman mandola that I use for playing J.S. Bach. Recently one of the tailpiece hooks broke off. I contacted Eastman and they responded immediately with a replacement tailpiece under...
  9. Leo Lindblom's brand new Silverangel mandolin - by Ken Ratcliff

As many of you know, there was a post on the cafe recently that Ken Ratcliff was giving away one of his handmade Silverangel mandolins to a young mandolin picker and he asked me to share a clip of my...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Musician Jokes

Another social media find that I felt called to share.

My friends and I put together a band.
    We call it "999 Megabytes".

Still haven't gotten a gig yet.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Spinal Tap - Stonehenge

An anniversary so important in the history of mandolin it has few equals, so we celebrate today.

March 2, 1984 - Mockumentary This is Spinal Tap released featuring the hilarious mandolin-themed...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Musician Jokes

Seen on social media and just silly enough to share.

What's the difference between the Black Eyed Peas and chickpeas?

The Black Eyed Peas can sing us a song, chickpeas can hummus one.
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Perfect Fest Vehicles?

I would take it one step further and ask, how much do you like camping vs staying in really nice motels?

As a young man, I camped out of necessity of being broke. Actually, if I had my sleeping...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Not hitting both strings when picking.

Here's what I had beginner students do to monitor their playing with this issue.

Slightly de-tune one string of each pair of strings, so that it is noticeable. and you can hear the...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: I知 afraid woodshedding has made me worse

For me, even going from one mandolin to a different one takes some adjustment.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: I知 afraid woodshedding has made me worse

First I will let the "Mean Old Timer" speak and say that picking on a mandolin substitute instrument while watching T.V. is not wood shedding.
    Wood shedding really implies, the performer- the...
  17. Re: Where do you do most of your pick striking?

Usually somewhere near the end of the fretboard would be the sweet spot soundwise when picking for me.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Tips for accompanying a guitar?

As a general rule, I try to -not- duplicate what others are doing. Arpeggios, runs, fills, double stop tremelos can all have their place - even if they're very simple. Feel free to change your...
  19. Re: How long does it take to get over fumble fingers?

Well ... my first thought when I read the OP question was " the rest of your effing life". You practice, you play, you learn to cover your mistakes.... take your time and enjoy the process. Playing...
  20. Replies
    Views

New Kelley Mandolin

Here's a newly finished custom Kelley A model. 1850's redwood top. I love the deep tone of this wood. It was a little teaser video for the customer...Nfn9SUxiCeA
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Best On-Instrument Mic

I've been very happy with the Myers product I have called the, "Grip/Clamp Micro Gooseneck." The one I use is very realistic sounding and easy to manage. I have had the DPA 4099 and it is also a nice...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Best On-Instrument Mic

The gold standard for years has been the DPA 4099, partly for the build quality and feedback resistance, but also because it has a wide range of clamps for different instruments. The violin clamp...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Harsh amplified tone

In my experience, amp'ed or even well-mic'ed mandolin requires much more attention to volume and tone -sensitive pick angle in order to duplicate acoustic tone without being too loud. Similarly,...
  24. Replies
    Views

For my amplified sound I tend to use a Boss GE-7 graphic equaliser.

Simple to use. Usually I roll the top frequency right back, which gets rid of quite a lot of the harshness in my experience....
  25. Replies
    Views

When you play an open mic you're at the mercy of whoever is running sound. They are typically set for guitars, which are usually going to be flattop dreads, built and braced completely...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4