Search:

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: the kindness of strangers

This story reminds me of my dear friend Virgil who passed away from cancer this past year. In his dying days he was divesting all of his personal possessions. I had built a couple instruments for him...
  2. Re: Abbreviated pick guard doesn’t need a brace?

(there have been several threads about this already) I've made and installed my own for all three of my mandolins and they're very similar in size and style to the stringworks ones. They function as...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Binding- searched forum

Good answers here already. Even though it looks fancy, to me the protection factor is more important, especially for the spruce top. It seems like the edges ended up take abuse when instruments get...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Vintage Gibson Playability

In 1980, I was working in a shop in the Kalamazoo area and was able to get a reject F4 top out of their bargain basement. Somebody had nicked the top with a bandsaw in the area that's under the...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Vintage Gibson Playability

If you had the fingerboard radiused and new frets installed, it should play like butter now. The only real advantages of a newer ($$$$) instrument would be a slimmer neck and better tuners.

But...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Refinished 87 Flatiron Festival

Awesome! and you say this is your backup mandolin? You should have trouble if you're stuck using it in an ensemble situation.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: What Are Some Good Options in the $2-3k range?

The 515 is an exceptional deal. A LOT of sound for that amount of money. The one I worked on and set up was a very loud mandolin. Perhaps lacking in the subtleties of a pricier mandolin but tons of...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman 515 tuning machines upgrade

Yes Grovers are a great bargain. I've put 309s on several of my A style builds and they are nearly as smooth and predictable as Rubners. If only they had replaceable knobs or at least other options....
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Spruce for kerfing

I've used poplar for self made linings on many instruments. It's inexpensive, relatively light weight, machines beautifully, and is strong. After repairing top cracks on instruments, I would be...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: pickup jack question

You might try some tuner cleaner on the contacts first, De-Ox-it (sp?) is popular in the electric world.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: The weight balance between the head and body

Playing with a strap solves that issue for me, even when sitting down.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Need some advice on a tuner pedal

TC Polytune- the full size one is switchable between true bypass and buffered. The TC is quite bright and very fast to nail the pitch
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Question on "tiers" of instruments

Hey Joe, congrats on making your next step up the ladder. Hopefully the Morris will keep you satisfied for a long time. In tiers, it seems the next step up is about $3k (gulp) that's where mandos...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: K&K Pure preamp issues advice needed

K&K is a hot pickup and mandolins are already very sensitive and percussive so yes, it's going to pick-up any extraneous noises from contact with the top. It's part of why I prefer a small diameter...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Jam Etiquette re: Playing Mandolin Chords

Hi Sherry,

With "several guitars" it will be very easy for your simple chording to be overrun. Tom makes some very good points in his post above. If you haven't learned some closed chord shapes up...
  16. Re: What's are some good guitar soundhole pickups?

K&K makes the double helix magnetic sound hole pickup which Molly Tuttle uses live for a good tone. Of course she's got some other pick-up or mic in the guitar also and runs them a Grace Designs...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: A pedal tuner question

If you invest in another tuner, I would recommend a TC polytune, especially for tuning mandolins. It nails the pitch instantly and is very accurate- helpful for getting both strings in a pair in tune...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Earplugs for loud session?

I haven't tried these, but they are designed to lop off the extra decibels without muffling the tone....
  19. Re: Treating Trigger Finger - My First Cortisone Injection

I had the opposite problem with my left index finger not closing down enough to play certain chords on the guitar. I had the first injection into a joint and that helped but dissipated in a few...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: What has happened to Elixir mando strings?

I tried the XS strings on my D18. To me they have a smoother feel than the XT. I got about 2 months out of them (as opposed to 3 weeks). Interestingly, they didn't sound like coated strings when...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Collings Oval thick neck slimmed down?

I have a friend who has an older Collings. He has small hands and the V hurt his fretting hand. He had a luthier round the V to a softer V and had it speed necked at the same time. No change in tone.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: 3 unrelated mando questions

1) TC UniTune is more $$ but superior for Mandolin IMO. Fast, decisive, accurate. If you want strobe tuning for setting intonation, go with the Polytune.

2) I have one mandolin that produces...
  23. Re: Whats your String Height preference (G Strings)

Just low enough to hold a CT55 between the strings and 12th fret. But then, I'm not a heavy chopper.
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: tuning machine ratios

I haven't tried Waverly mandolin tuners, but of the other brands I've used on my instruments, Rubners are a clear winner for smoothness and predictability with, (believe it or not) Grover 309s being...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: K+K Twin Spot vs Mandolin Twin

A violin post setting tool can be helpful in getting pressure on the sensor while the CA glue sets. Those little f holes are not finger friendly.
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4