Search:

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Sierra Hull- tone tips video

Hello friends,

I came across this on YT today. Simple advice from one of the best! Enjoy :)

https://youtu.be/-tCoGGcsi0I
  2. Replies
    Views

String comparison forthcoming...

L to R: D'Addario Nickel Bronze, La Bella Silver, Martin Monel, GHS Pure Nickel, D'Addario Monel

Got a bunch of new strings in the mail yesterday! I'm excited to try these out over the...
  3. Re: Banner headstock Gibson J-45 at Goodwill, bidders go nuts

All Banners from about late 1943 to mid 1944 had these triangular maple inserts in their necks instead of metal truss rods. The War Production Board issued an order limiting stringed instruments to...
  4. Re: Banner headstock Gibson J-45 at Goodwill, bidders go nuts

Hello, folks, John Thomas, the Kalamazoo Gals guy, here. My ears were burning.

To answer a minor question in this thread, yes, the first issue LG-1s were X-braced. Gibson only shopped 139 of them,...
  5. Replies
    Views

Cafe face masks

Just saw these in the Cafe classifieds...

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/157978#157978

One is on it's way to me.

NFI

Hope it does not violate posting guidelines.
  6. Re: Autumn Leaves - Mandolin Chord Melody [Tab]

Nice! Here's my version:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdILhHcoSbs&feature=emb_logo
  7. Autumn Leaves - Mandolin Chord Melody [Tab]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuPfDrACb-M

Tab
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Is Baby Ben a traditional tune?

It is on this site run by a friend of mine. I am not sure what site you found it on.

Also on this site.

Here is James Bryan playing it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kE2hgAsCeY
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: 2020 NAMM Show Report

Star sighting. I see a guy out by the food trucks on a break and think, "wow, that looks like Leland Sklar." And it was! Brief chat with him, what a genuinely nice guy. Asked him who he's playing...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: 2020 NAMM Show Report

I wish people would stop posting pictures of Weber's . . . it makes it very hard to say that I am over my MAS . . . . .
  11. Re: Beginner! Eastman 305 vs Kentucky KM-150 vs...??

Thanks for all the advice! I ended up finding a screaming deal on a Kentucky KM-150 at a store a few hours away. Lo and behold, an acquaintance in town I had just met a week prior was in that town...
  12. Replies
    Views

Useful Tip For Changing Strings

If you are like me (and I know I am), changing strings on your mandolin is not your favorite task. I’ve been doing it successfully for 40 years, or so, but I often wish I had a third hand (one that...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Higher Education for Mandolin

UPDATE:
    Thank you to all who replied to this thread. I was not aware of the CMSA or the legacy of Alison Stephens. I am very excited to be able to say that Chapman University's guitar program has...
  14. Replies
    Views

I started a website for backing tracks

I've just started a website for free backing tracks with someone I met on another forum. We both don't have anyone to play with, so we decided to make backing tracks for others who might be in a...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Amy Helm chord form

She was definitely actually playing at the show I saw. For one song (Mandolin Wind), she was alternating between a Bb5 played in the form in the picture and an F chord 5301 low to high. I tried it...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Amy Helm chord form

Hm. I use my thumb for 2-finger D and Dm chords in first position, but I never thought about doing this.

I just played in the pit band for a stage musical and there were a lot of 5 chords in the...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Higher Education for Mandolin

I met a contra dance caller/musician, primarily a mandola player, who had gone to East Tennessee State University, they have a Bluegrass, Old-Time and Country music degree program
  18. Re: Was the mandolin played in traditional folk before Bill Monro

I've read the whole thread.

My one question back - and it has been touched upon - what about the Italians that brought their invention, the mandolin, to America and played Italian folk traditional...
  19. Re: Was the mandolin played in traditional folk before Bill Monro

Doc Roberts for one example........

6wG7lHxxGV8
  20. Re: Was the mandolin played in traditional folk before Bill Monro

Yes, very much so. The mandolin was used in Old Time stringband music in the 20's and 30's and beyond. It was also popular with jugband and blues musicians in the same time period. There is a lot of...
  21. Replies
    Views

Thank you Mandolin Cafe community! 1000th post

Finally up to 1000 posts!

I joined the forum 14 years ago, and I had lurked for some years prior to that

I don’t post daily but I sure read and keep up on a daily basis

This community is...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Evansville area jams?

Johnnymac511 there is a jam nearby at Boonville, IN -3rd Thursday of the month at The Gathering Place. The Bluegrass Music Hall of Fame in Owensboro, KY has one the 1st Thursday of the month at 6pm....
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Jam etiquette

There is some kind of a pattern to what they do at each jam. I suggest sitting out for the first couple of songs and just observe how the breaks are handed out. If they are distributing them through...
  24. Thread: Jam etiquette

by Bunnyf
    Replies
    Views

Re: Jam etiquette

Mike, I am gonna do just that. I'm gonna pick a super common song, like "bury me beneath the willow" and keep working til I can get it up to speed or maybe a slower song like "Wayfaring stranger"....
  25. Thread: Jam etiquette

by Bunnyf
    Replies
    Views

Jam etiquette

I'm a newbie to jams and also a beginner mandolin player. I've gone to a couple local jams and they are very welcoming to beginners and encourage you to take your turn and not pass around the circle....
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4