Search:

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Mike Compton demonstrates his 2008 Duff F-5 mandolin

I agree completely. All types of music for different likes and dislikes. Mike is one of the best at his style of playing. I appreciate his playing even though I prefer crystal clear notes, chords,...
  2. Re: Complete Noob - Discovered Grandpa’s bowl back mandolin !

Best to have the bowl back checked out by a luthier. New strings are a definite but if it has been sitting for years not humidified things may start breaking while bringing it up to tune. Personally...
  3. Re: Finding local buyers in Cafe classifieds

Well selling person to person works just to demonstrate what a valuable asset the Cafe provides with it's classifieds. Pittsburgh is not exactly mandolin metropolis. A nice fellow drove in from Ohio...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Classifides

I have purchased several mandolins and sold a hand full via the Cafe Classifieds. All had a 48 hour trial period with agreement that buyer pay return shipping. This has not been a problem and would...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: New Mandolin Cafe Hat

Scott and Galen
    Great looking logo on hat.
    Perhaps some day on a flat Irish Style Cap?
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Thoughts on tremolo

For me it depends on what I'm playing and if I am playing by myself or with others.
    I often do not use it for quarter notes but instead for any note longer than a quarter note as mandolins do not...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: new trend?

If the thread is 15 years old it is likely I would have no memory of it. If the topic is relevant to me I will read as if it was written today.
  8. Re: bought Mandala from thrift store... now what?

Keep it in Mandola tuning, C G D A, until you become comfortable playing mandola. Finding music written an Alto Clef for mandola is a hat trick at best. But no worries.
    Since mandolin family...
  9. Re: Christmas gift ideas for my daughter / Mandolin related?

Two tickets for her and a friend to attend a performance by a nationally recognized mandolin player that she admires.
  10. Re: Christmas gift ideas for my daughter / Mandolin related?

I have had mixed results using different mandolins. Made little difference on my Stiver but a significant difference on my Kentucky KM950 and on a Eastman 305 my granddaughter now has.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Surgery for arthritis...

Been there and done that. For me the surgery was much simpler than I could have ever imagined. Stitches come out tomorrow. Already playing easier than I have in the last year or more. Back to...
  12. Replies
    Views

Another trigger finger post

Several threads in the past regarding trigger finger surgery vs. cortisone shots and PT. Yesterday I had trigger finger release surgery after trying for far too long alternative means to alleviate...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Why include straps in sales?

Never gave it much thought but have included straps I didn't like in sales of mandolins I thought may be going to a beginner and in need of a strap.
  14. Re: Sheet music with the letters inside the dots (for learning)

I have seen some very elementary notation written as you described.
    An alternative approach I used just last year for my grandchildren: ALFREDS TEACH YOURSELF TO PLAY MANDOLIN. This book provides...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Any suggestion for a gear back pack?

Hit your local Army Surplus store if you have one. It will be durable, large, and not very expensive.
  16. Re: Should one learn mandolin/mandola before tenor banjo/guitar?

Never learned to play guitar but found it necessary to learn guitar chords from a visual perspective to follow guitar players.
  17. Re: Buffalo Wabs & The Price Hill Hustle

Thanks Ranald. All four are superb musicians with a great stage performance. Had they played all night, I would have stayed.
  18. Buffalo Wabs & The Price Hill Hustle

NEW TO ME BAND based in Cincinnati, Ohio I was fortunate to see yesterday at the Purple Fiddle while on a hiking trip in the Thomas, WV area. Four multi talented musicians that put on a great show....
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Tone guard for Mandola

T Y. I did contact Tony and he has a fit. Appreciate the suggestions. I should have gone to the source right off.
  20. Re: Leo Lindblom's brand new Silverangel mandolin - by Ken Ratcli

Thankyou for sharing and thankyou to Ken R.
    This is a great way to start my week and will make this week and this world a better place for me and I hope for others.
  21. Re: Thumb Arthroplasty/Carpal Tunnel Surgery Results, Both Hands

Thank you. Been there and done that with much shorter recovery time. Keep in mind that not all procedures are created equal. Did my left hand first, then my right. Also my ring finger on my right...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman or Northfield Opinions

I have owned several Eastmans and Kentuckys. I have to say I think it just depends upon the particular mandolin. I have owned several and find that even the same models by both manufacturers are not...
  23. Re: What’s the nicest mandolin you’ve ever seen?

I didn't play it but an ELKHORN koa with tobacco reddish purfing. I saw it on a F style and thought to myself how much nicer that would be on an A style (just personal preference). I looked on the...
  24. Re: When to upgrade from beginner mandolin?

The more you enjoy or even marvel at the mandolin you are playing, the more you will be motivated to improve your own skills. At least this has been true for me. Though, I now own instruments that...
  25. Replies
    Views

Applaud Ken Ratcliff

I see in the classifieds Ken is in the process of building a Silverangel for which he will donate to a child prodigy between the ages of 6 & 16 unable to afford a quality instrument.
    Nice to see...
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4