Search:

Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins in progress

Mandolin #35. Time to start the final sanding process. 1 piece Engelman top, sugar maple for the rest.
  2. Replies
    Views

Finally getting around to finishing off this 10 string fanned fret mandola. First and last time I'll use purple heart on an archtop instrument. Too hard on the tools and joints. The top is a piece...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Going pro?

http://starecat.com/content/wp-content/uploads/musician-someone-who-loads-5000-worth-of-gear-into-500-car-to-drive-100-miles-to-a-50-gig.jpg
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Chicks dig guys who play an instrument

Hey! I resemble that! You've gone from preachin' to meddlin' pardner...LOL!

Also Sean, the flip-side of your point is that it's well known that "goils" love them bad boys...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Make of tuners on a Mix F5

Daniel - Why not go for a Travelite case ?.Of all the cases i've tried (& own),the T is by far the best IMHO. There's more room around the tuners in the headstock area than any case i've tried other...
  6. Replies
    Views

Thought that you might find this interesting! The last touch on the 10-string 'cello.
    Did a whole blog post about my version of pin point capos here.
  7. Bassists may be far more important than people realize (article)

Good article actually ... worth a read. The reasoning is well explained, imo. Sadly, no mandobassists are covered.

Science Suggests Bassists Are Far More Important Than Most People...
  8. Re: BB King Is Gone (But The Thrill Of His Music Remains)

Still another thought on B.B. They just keep coming.
    There was not a time I saw him live, which was many times, that he did not make me laugh. A line or or some little bit of a story. Singing at...
  9. Re: BB King Is Gone (But The Thrill Of His Music Remains)

Another thought on B.B.
    So often when there is talk about B.B. King, it is focused on his Guitar playing. Rightfully so.
    Also, he was simply a glorious Singer, from a whisper to a scream. He could...
  10. Re: BB King Is Gone (But The Thrill Of His Music Remains)

I loved BB's music before I knew who Bill Monroe was. But like Bill, all it took was one note and you knew it was BB King and Lucille about to get as blue as it gets! We saw him for the last time...
  11. Re: BB King Is Gone (But The Thrill Of His Music Remains)

Saw him many many times, and I have a black 335 here that he signed waaay-back-when that I'm going to pull out right now and re-string...

RIP BB...
  12. Re: BB King Is Gone (But The Thrill Of His Music Remains)

BB King, more than anyone, showed me that good tone doesn't come from fancy equipment or expensive instruments. Good tone comes from the hands.
  13. Replies
    Views

A new Baroque mandolino started recently.

14. Replies
    Views

Introducing the Sorensen FX Blade

For quite some time, I've wanted to work on a new mandolin design which has the features desired by F-Style players, but with post-Victorian style, and the complexity allowed by modern tooling.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: New Girouard mandola arrives!

Spruce, I remember when you first sent this stuff over. When I split the billets, they were still wet on the inside from hanging out in that bog for who knows how many years! So far this cedar has...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Girouard mandola en route from RI to VA

Here they are Dan......

Enjoy!
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Gilchrist and Ellis F5's

Way cool.

Get yourself a hinged tailpiece from Gilchrist for 97371.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: 2014 Girouard F-5

Here are a couple of more pics, check out the twin Gibson L-00's. 1934 and 1933 left to right.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: YouTube Created Music Channels?

It is related to what I mentioned in post number 3.

There is a deal that Google/YT have struck with BMI and others. The 'pay' comes from a 'cut' (15% of net revenues) of adverts - and shortly, YT...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: The Joe K. Walsh Interview

sgrexa,
    I just saw where he responded to that question on Facebook and it is an A style Nugget.
  21. Re: What an incredible day! Unknown Loar Mandola found

To the sceptics..........good for you. To the believers.........thanks for the nice words. I guess I should have taken more recent pics. Those pics were taken a few weeks ago and yes, the varnish is...
  22. Replies
    Views

Jammed last night with some hot pickers

I was about to leave for the long ride home when tapped on the shoulder to go into a backroom and work up a 30 min set to take on stage. The banjo man was Levi from Nu Blu, there was a Rice guy on...
  23. Re: Everyone should visit a master luthier's workshop at least on

It's even fun for non builders to hang out with talented luthiers in or out of the shop.
  24. Re: Bill Monroe's Mandolin: When Mr. Monroe was 21 years old

That ain't Bill, it's Larry from The 3 Stooges.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Northfield?

Thanks for the kind words Sean. That means a lot coming from someone who has owned several high end mandolins and knows what a good one sounds like. I have been more than pleased with my JBovier. ...
Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 4