Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: New (to me) Collings MF5

If you are not travelling a lot and don't beat your instrument around, I really love my Reunion Blues gig bag. It's very padded and sturdy and very light. I wouldn't throw it in the back of a truck...
  2. Re: Do you take your best or most valuable mandolin to gigs?

I’ve always been of the mindset that I buy the thing to play, so I’m gonna play it. But I’m also not bothered by character marks or dings either.
  3. Re: Gibson Master Model vs Custom Master Model - advice please

I'd let him take the risk on the investment then. All your questions are very difficult to answer in terms of how easy it would be to sell. Depends on the market at the time, if someone happens to be...
  4. Re: Will being a lefty, but playing right handed be more limiting

I find this discussion interesting, and probably something I'm going to need to think about with my daughter if she pursues music. I think assuredly everyone is a little bit different, but I guess my...
  5. Re: Familiarity and the appeal of a specific mandolin

I find this to be a very real thing. You get used to the sound, the specifics of how an instrument plays, what to expect, etc. I don't play many different mandolins. It makes it very difficult to...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin world vs fiddle world

I think Sam Bush still plays a fiddle he found at a yard sale way back when
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Tone Gard - Comfortable ?

I forget my tone guard is on until I read a thread on the cafe that mentions them. It's been a permanent fixture on my collings mf for as long as I can remember
  8. Re: Sierra Hull - "Lakeland" (Aubrey Haynie)

Fantastic version! I've been working on this the last couple of days. That whole Aubrey Haynie album is fantastic.
  9. Re: Do mandolins respond to playing at the dusty end?

I don't know about opening up in specific areas of the fretboard but I know that if you have an instrument that sounds good up at the 15th fret plus, you have a good one
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Hidden D'Addario Micro Tuners....

On my collings I have one on the tuner towards the other end of the headstock. Just depends on shape of your mandolin and layout of your tuners. The only negative about these is that you can't share...
  11. Replies
    Views

New Andrew Marlin Album

Just wondering if anyone has checked out his new record. Fantastic, fantastic stuff. I glossed over his playing for a long time, but the more I listen to him the more impressed I am. He gets such...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: RockyGrass Live Stream on now

Just so this is on the internet for posterity-- in the Punch Brothers set Chris Eldridge just played Tony Rice's second solo from Cattle in the Cane note for note while Noam Pikelny doubled the same...
  13. Replies
    Views

Sierra Hull and Mike Barnett

Anyone seen this video? This is incredible stuff. Tune is called Hopped the Train to Hudson written by Mike Barnett. Not sure if he was the full time fiddle player in her band at the time or was...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Improv From Scratch

Crashing and burning is, in my opinion, the best way to learn improvisation. There's nothing that gets your attention more than messing up and hearing what doesn't work in the context of an actual...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Punch Brothers chords, tabs and notes

I don't have tab, but I do have a youtube video of myself playing it that is pretty close to the recording. I also uploaded a slow version of it a few years ago for someone who had asked. Not...
  16. Replies
    Views

Punch Brothers new Album

So, I had the pleasure of seeing the Punch Brothers last night in Atlanta. It's been a few years since I've had the pleasure of seeing them live, and I was absolutely blown away. Despite the fact...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Tony Rice Acoustics album

Hey Alan, there is still a seller on Amazon selling one for about 50. I hate paying so much for a book like this, but I went ahead and bought one. They seem pretty rare, and I'd rather have one that...