Search:

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Best way to test preamp sounds at home?

There's two different areas of testing here. Getting the best sound out of your plugged in instrument and getting the best sound in a room. Testing through your amp is a great way to find what EQ...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Speakers/Monitors (no mando content)

Dave nails it. The horizontal throw really changes how the QSCs react in each environment. My band used K10's on stands as mains and K8s as monitors. It was a great setup and really filled the...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Demonstrating a mandolin

Nice one Don. Not sure if you're aware that video shows up as unlisted.
  4. Re: Learning a Ronnie McCoury solo everyday for the month of Janu

I think I've said it before, but I'm happy to hear that mandolin in the hands of someone who can do it justice. Being a Houston native, there has been a lot of discussion of where that mandolin...
  5. Re: Amplifiers/pdeals for playing in an electric band

You can't really beat a larger speaker on a tube amp for fattening up the sound. I think the Deluxe or a Princeton with a 12" would be really good. Paul Glasse's best tone was with a ridiculous...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Venuti transcriptions book

Check out Evan Price demonstrating...

Zk-eMQnG1TI
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Which kind of Mandolin you play ?

I'm guessing less coincidence and more ear training to what you love and having that sound in your brain as you cycle through instruments looking for "the one."
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: A Style “Holy Grail?

That one certainly is. It's a phenomenal instrument. I had an equally good Gilchrist A that I would put up against any instrument.
  9. Re: British guy here – how should I spend $10,000?

I think this is an incredibly well done mandolin comparison video. I'm with you the TME Gilchrist is a grail sound. I do think you can get close with Duff and Kimble. The Hogan in the video holds...
  10. Re: Pop-leaning folk/newgrass in the "old" Nickel Creek style

Another band that broke up, but their music still hits was Milkdrive out of Austin.

vqezn1XLkHA
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Ellis Tradition vs. Gibson Master Model

Best fitting and longest lasting boots I ever owned were buffalo hide Noconas. I still miss them. I'm in Houston if you're ever this way.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Heiden A-5 Deluxe vs. Collings MF5-V

I have to say, as much as I still LOVE the Gilchrist that Shaun traded to me (and it's won out against Monteleone, Heiden, and another Gil), the Heiden Heritage A that was recently in the classifieds...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Ellis Tradition vs. Gibson Master Model

I've only played one Tradition model and owned a unique MM. But, the videos below are fairly representative of the sound of the Ellis. The Tradition is modeled after the '22 Crusher which is a...
  14. Re: Heiden's....the most expensive modern mandolin builder?

You mention both Gilchrist and Monteleone as comparison, so I have to weigh in. I've had the distinct pleasure of owning all 3 at some point and overlapped most of them for direct comparison. I...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Girouard Griffith Tribute A5

Great playing and a really fine sounding mandolin!
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Who is the female back up singer?

That is absolutely one of my favorite albums to listen to straight through. As above, the liner notes show both sisters on vocals and that song is wonderfully done.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: NMD Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

I have long been a proponent of these models. I've had a couple of KM900's that were excellent instruments. They were the equal of many boutique instruments I've played over the years and at a...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Compton playing my Heiden A5

That's a special one to be sure!
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Red Diamond July 9 Roasted - 281R

Congrats! That should be a bluegrass monster.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: “Balanced” String Sets

Fiddles and mandolins are a little bit different in this regard. With fiddles, I find them to be even more responsive to string changes, but also tiny changes in setup, whether it's a soundpost...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: I would like to find a beater

Based on what you have listed in your signature, you're still going to want something you'd be happy playing. In the same boat, I found a great Kentucky KM900 used on the classifieds for a very...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: My 3 Ring Binder is a PITA

We replaced the binders with forScore. It was a game changer. I also use iGigBook for the various Real Books.
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Andrew Marlin’s Gilchrists

My take on it only... With that particular Gil, I hear the power that is natural to his build style, but I also hear more depth and bloom to the note. Newer Gils tend more to mid-range focus and dry...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson Mandolins 2004

IIRC, Charlie's last signed instrument was December 2003. After that, Danny Roberts took over for a couple of years.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Duff A4.5 Mandolin

Paul knocked it out of the park with this one for sure! On strings, I'd bet it would respond really well to either Nickel Bronze or Monels.
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4