Search:

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Bowl back science

THe longitudinal (aka parallel) modulus does indeed follow density. However, the cross-grain (aka perpendicular) modulus can be all over the map, and for a variety of reasons. Per Graham...
  2. Replies
    Views

The Nomad (mandola duet)

Here's a tune I picked up from the guitar playing of Dónal Clancy on his album Close to Home. I decided to play the tune in D minor on the mandola and overdub an accompaniment part (also with the...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: How to build responsiveness in?

Considering every vibration that the instrument can make is a pretty tall order. Deciding whether any one of those vibrations either contributes to sound or is just wasting energy is an even taller...
  4. Re: RECOVERED: Stolen Gibson F-4 Mandolin Serial #66824

Last week the top brace repair was completed by Tom Crandall and I went back to the city and picked it up at the shop. We raised the action a bit and it sounded and played great. I asked Tom what...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Mando (and why to quit callin it that...)g

Sorry to have duplicated the previous post about the poorly named men's hygiene products.

I have never denied my pedant status, but now compelled to look up the definition of the term, I see the...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: NMC: Double Bass crack repair?

Double basses are half of my business. I build them, I restore them, I gig almost 100 nights a year on them.

Dremeling away the rib garland for a simple crack is not...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: A 10 string variable scale story

Beautiful beautiful, and amazing sound.
  8. Replies
    Views

Very impressive sound from it,Tavy. Beautiful instrument and it will give a great deal of pleasure to its owner, I am sure, wherever it ends up.
  9. Replies
    Views

Hi Tavy,

I am very excited to see what you have done here. I'm currently working on a 5 course, ten string instrument and have wrestled with some of the same issues you have discussed here. My...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Upgrading a tailpiece

Nothing wrong with putting lipstick on a pig. Especially if you're going out to dinner or a movie.
  11. Replies
    Views

A couple of new mandolins

Off to the US next month for the Guild of American Luthiers convention in Tacoma WA. I will have a couple of new mandolins with me. The latest of the King Billy and Huon Pine oval hole mandolins, and...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Italian Style Bowlback Mandolin

I spent November last year in Naples building a contemporary Neapolitan mandolin. The build thread is still here on the forum.

The scene is well and truly alive in Italy as well as in Japan and...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: A Style Mandolin, 10 string

f

https://www.rubnertuners.com/

He has 10 string tuners. But overall, all of his tuners are some of the best stuff out there.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Notes from the Condino vault

T9DHYGQpwoU
  15. Re: Collection of posts, threads, and other links for new builder

Whew. Hope I haven’t wasted MC’s bandwidth or broken any rules. Doing this, I’ve noticed that some sections are woefully thin, mainly those farther along in the build, since I’ve been focused mostly...
  16. Re: Neapolitan Mandolin Build in Naples - November 2022

When the instrument has been cleaned up. The practise is to leave all of these bits of paper on until the final clean up. Makes sense, only do any job once. Im sure it will be fine. The same process...
  17. Re: Neapolitan Mandolin Build in Naples - November 2022

Progress photos.

Firstly the mould keeps getting ribs on it. Ive included a photo of the current status, a ribbed mandolin back and another bowl style. The bowl style we are building is considered...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Up-Cycling

I have a piece of angle iron that i put onto my electric bending iron with some hose clamps. It makes the bending a bit easier as you dont have to keep swapping the sides you are bending. Ive learnt...
  19. Thread: Oh dear

by brunello97
    Replies
    Views

Re: Oh dear

John, I come from the land of truculent armadillos.

We used to make headgear out of them when we were kids until the whole leprosy scare cut that out.

I had to ask my wife for the translation...
  20. Bondhus Screw Grab for stripped screw heads

I bought this product a year or so ago, and was disappointed that it didn't work for removing worn pickguard screws on a vintage guitar I was working on. Keep in mind, they were completely rounded...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: German style Mandolin

Alfred Woll’s book states 2.5 to 2.7mm depending on the stiffness of the Spruce. It is still playing in but it certainly seems to have enough low end timbre. The bowl is larger than Neaploitan...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Vinaccia disection

Nice job! It was fun to follow your progress.
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Vinaccia disection

From Wikipedia:
    The initial processing involved separating the layers of the scutes from the animal's carapace by heating, softening the plates by boiling them in salt water and flattening them...
  24. Replies
    Views

New Maple Brescian mandolin

Here is a Brescian mandolin I just completed. It is made with birdseye maple. And simple sound clip:

25. Replies
    Views

Re: Recommend me some Irish folk bands

I think someone recently said never walk all over the singer with a mandolin, a bouzouki, octave, whistle…
    These guys do it all the time!

https://youtu.be/dWDkzjbCHmM...
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4