Search:

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: FB SOL Incognito

Considering homage to stripping, perhaps some ‘40s tasteful decalcomanias of strippers?
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: FB SOL Incognito

Suggestion #1: Cat drawing on headstock. Mice running away from cat on sides.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: How to combat memorization tendencies?

"fiddle tune ... at a jam". making mistakes while playing at a jam is the normal, not the exception. ideally you play through the mistakes, but if you completely bomb out, just wait for the tune to...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: How to combat memorization tendencies?

When you practice do you stop and “correct” any clams you play? DON’T DO THAT! If you stop when you practice you’ll train yourself to stop when you play. Play through your errors, keeping the feel of...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Keeping up with the Fiddlers

To 'keep it going' we have to look at why 'playing slow and quiet' works and fast and loud does not.

One has the time and attention to handle technical problems at the slow speed. So that leads...
  6. Re: Strategies (or contraptions) to tame the flying fingers?

Yes and also be aware that the finger flows at speed can be very different from slow playing.
    At speed you're pushing rather than swinging the pick, while fret fingers spread out and are simply...
  7. Replies
    Views

For me, playing a tune fast is to find the ways that allow you to reduce your effort to just what is required to get there, and no more. As has been mentioned, it is possible to work too hard, and it...
  8. Replies
    Views

I am approaching my fiftieth anniversary this year of playing both fiddle and mandolin. One thing I am finding is that I actually enjoy playing tunes slow or fast. They become different tunes, sort...
  9. Replies
    Views

Some months ago This topic came up in a conversation with Marla Fibish - an internationally known Irish mandolinist. Her suggestion: “no need to play all the notes” - just play the important ones.
  10. Replies
    Views

I think when people say, 'to play fast one should practice slowly' there is an implied notion of a lot of assumptions, too many to describe in a short manner.

Many of these assumptions are now...
  11. Replies
    Views

"bad habits" - playing fast ensures you have none. like running a sprint ensures you have no broken legs, you know how to walk correctly, you have the right shoes and you eat the right stuff for...
  12. Replies
    Views

I'm with the "you've got to play fast" school. I know that in tai chi, after doing the moves slowly for years, you're supposed to be able to use them rapidly when necessary for self defence. However,...
  13. Replies
    Views

It can be tough to make sense of it all. But the idea that you have to play something perfectly without mistakes before moving on is a bit of a fallacy. I doubt many people can play things perfectly....
  14. Replies
    Views

How to pack an instrument for shipping

Tony Williamson put this video together for a seller who had no experience shipping a valuable instrument. We thought it was well done and had great information that it should be available to all for...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

A work of art based on a work of art--beautiful. Curious about the tuning, with 10 strings (I assume 5 course doubled).
    jim
  16. Replies
    Views

Me too. It took me a long to get this - Playing fast is a different feeling. If you want to play fast - try playing fast now. Slop it up. Sound like garbage. "grind it 'til you find it". Then...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

Rummaging through some old hard disks recently and came across this mandolin-&-guitar arrangement of Calace's Moto perpetuo, recorded in 2007 in a Shanghai hotel lounge:

18. Replies
    Views

This is a wonderful quote!

As anyone who jams regularly knows, the toughest thing is to be first in line to take a break after a new song is started. :grin:

One must learn how to listen, and...
  19. Replies
    Views

Mike M on different m’cello

With the number of views, I suspect this hasn’t been posted on the Café forum before, with Mike Marshall playing a Berg 10 string mandocello:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZWwrL-2uS8

BTW I no...
  20. Replies
    Views

Emphatic YES!!

Plus, it took some time to learn what "holding the pick loosely" is supposed to feel like, allowing it to angle down on the upstrokes while still not, ya know, flying across the...
  21. Replies
    Views

I play more fiddle than mandolin these days, but I do hack around on both. Other people have given you tips for speed, which are great. And you noticed the issue by going out and playing with...
  22. Re: Bluegrass Mandolin Jam Tunes by Rick Williams any good?

....you drive there and buy one!
  23. Replies
    Views

I'm just not trying to play all the notes, and in a way, fiddlers do the same.

Left hand speed can be the higher the less force is neccessary, and fiddlers have considerably less force to apply,...
  24. Replies
    Views

to cull from other suggestions: you don't have to play every note; you don't need to play ornaments; mandolin is normally quieter than the fiddles, so if you make a mistake, nobody can actually hear...
  25. Replies
    Views

One thing that may help you relax is understanding that mistakes happen to everybody, they go by quickly, and should be forgotten quickly. Try to learn to let 'em go by with a laugh and focus on...
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4