Search:

Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Thread: Mandolin Gender

by Ranald
    Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Gender

B.B. King calling his guitar, "Lucille," was very cool, but me calling my mandolin "Karen" doesn't have the same vibe, so I'll leave my mandolin nameless.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Batwing from a bat cave

It's an Eastmn (I believe) that has a Gibson sticker of some sort stuck to the headstock then scratched off. It isn't a Gibson but some folks apprently think it is.
  3. Replies
    Views

Eastwood electric Batwing 👍🏼
  4. Replies
    Views

I picked one up too off of reverb, for 450ish, was a few years ago. I really was just looking for a mandolin to leave at the office, I'll be honest it looks cool, but it has yet to capture my heart,...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Aria Mandolin

There is no need to keep posting the same thing, it certainly doesn’t help in getting responses.

Here is a similar thread from 2015...
  6. Re: Drop-in replacements for Grover F-style machines?

I've replaced tuning machines on 7 instruments, mandolin family and guitars. IME the ONLY time I've had replacement machines "drop in" was when I replaced one set of Schaller's with the same model of...
  7. Re: AI and music: Billie Eilish, Sheryl Crow and Jon Bon Jovi

Probably not a lot of people here who play video games, but in 2018, a cinematic adventure game called "Detroit: Become Human" came out that takes place 20 minutes into the future; much like the...
  8. Re: AI and music: Billie Eilish, Sheryl Crow and Jon Bon Jovi

For all we know, today's most popular artists may actually be robots -- and have been for years! :))

That would sure cut out the middle man for the record companies...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Big news from Gibson!

But that is just the bridge.
  10. Replies
    Views

OK, What Are The Odds ?

Changing strings on my mando this afternoon. New E-string slips out of my hand and falls perfectly into the tiny narrow space between the plug of my electronic metronome cord and the wall socket. ...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Finally, a Lyon & Healy Set

Here you go -- one of my first and favorite arrangements for the Ecco Mandolin Ensemble, Traveller's Prayer by John Renbourn, performed on all L&H Instruments (the dola, cello, and bass from the...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

Thanks! This is a renaissance instrument called a Vihuela de mano, or Viola da mano. In this case the second name is perhaps a better fit since this is based on an Italian example. It's essentially a...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Classic Bar Frets Refretting HELP

1.3 mm? Is that height or width?? What is the width of your fret slots? It's hard to answer your question without more specific information.

Jim's suggestion is one solution, if the wire is...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Classic Bar Frets Refretting HELP

I had an old Martin mandolin project with bar frets that were worn and needed replaced. I took them out and added some wood material to the bottom of the slots and reinstalled them upside down. I...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Low, Low Frets on SOL

If it sounds great and plays great, why change anything?
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Regal Le Domino Mandolin C.1933

A few nice nuggets of information from the site Mike linked to, filling in a bit more on the 20s scene in Chicago, particularly JR Stewart:

"The Le Domino model was the brainchild of James R....
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson's 1923 F-5 Master Model Reissue

Actually, those of us who have worked on a number of 40's through mid 50's Gibson guitars might say "Only a Gibson isn't glued enough."
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Bowl back science

THe longitudinal (aka parallel) modulus does indeed follow density. However, the cross-grain (aka perpendicular) modulus can be all over the map, and for a variety of reasons. Per Graham...
  19. Thread: Bowl back science

by Tavy
    Replies
    Views

Bowl back science

Interesting to see someone investigating the science of bowlbacks https://brill.com/view/journals/ijwc/2/1-3/article-p1_1.xml
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Lutherie as an art form

If you look up origin of word art. You'll find someting like this:

The word “art” is derived from the Latin ars, which originally meant “skill” or “craft.” These meanings are still primary in...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: A Bad Day at the Bandsaw

I had steeled myself to read a tale of severed digits, painful recovery, and learning to play with four fingers. I was happy to see it's just a crappy headstock!
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Effect of bridge breakover angle.

I've imaged the mandolin body modes both with and without a bridge and strings in place. I found no difference in either mode shapes or modal. frequencies, with only one exception. One mandolin had...
  23. Re: Could I leave mando in car in winter while skiing?

Depends. Is it a Rogue or a Gilchrist?

I wouldn't want the Mando to sleep any colder than me. Will it get lonely and perhaps go with a passing stranger? I've heard they sometimes do that.
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Are pressed sound boards necessarily bad?

Here is my 2 cents worth. (And I’ll probably get in trouble for it.) there is so much cult worship of the Loar era F-5 that imagination is stifled. If it ain’t a F-5 copy to the letter then it isn’t...
  25. Re: New mandolin player - Loar 600VS - Clean inside the scroll?

Don't look inside any old Gibson scrolls.
Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 4