Search:

Page 1 of 36 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: What are the chances that a moderately-priced mandolin sounds

My perspective, My custom mandolin sounds way better in more skilled hands than mine when I play it. What are the chances that if you're playing a moderately priced mandolin that it will sound like...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Best Budget Mandolin? Advice.

The best budget mandolin comes from a shop that will do a proper set up so you don't have to spend almost the purchase price again on a quality set up.

I am a fan of inexpensive mandolins for...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: AI chat for music, is it any good? ChatGPT?

I'm now making it a policy not to interact with posts on social medias that use AI to generate artwork. It's just too much stealing from actual artists. My company now has a AI interface to help...
  4. Re: Appreciation Post for the Mandolin World (not the store)

Welcome to the Cafe.

Jamie
  5. Thread: Double NMD

by JEStanek
    Replies
    Views

Re: Double NMD

I love how you can hear the tonal differences between those builds so easily. Those are great looking and sounding.

Jamie
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Hello Everyone. New Guy Here

Hello and Welcome to the Cafe!

Jamie
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen

Nice!

Jamie
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Overthinking tone

As a perpetual beginner, I'll say tone quests for beginners are often a fools errand. In the space of beginner instruments and I might even plop the Eastman 305 in there, Mostly what you're after is...
  9. Re: Difference between "new" and old Eastman MD615

I merged these threads.

Jamie
  10. Re: The Airline lost my mandolin! (Good news ending though)

I'm glad it had a happy ending. Good luck with your father in this time of transition.

Jamie
  11. Re: Any information on the LeMarquis MF-2000?

Welcome to the Cafe. If you're brand new, you don't need to spend HUNDREDs of dollars because what if you don't love it? Buying from a shop that sets up and adjusts the instrument first will save...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Shane MacGowan has passed (NMC)

If you have HULU you can stream Crock of Gold, a great documentary with Shane. It's really a well done piece. I first learned of the Pogues in the early mid 80s with Rum Sodomy and the Lash. Great...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Vivaldi's Largo from Winter

Nice!

Jamie
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: What kind of hat do I need?

[QUOTE=journeybear;1921777]For a hat? :confused:

No, for a plectrum, as the preceding sentence talked about plectrums. However, the notion of using bottle caps on a hat if you had holes in them...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Vintage Instruments music shop, Philly

I've visited his shop a few times and wouldn't hesitate to buy from them. He was also a longtime Philly Folk Fest Volunteer and vendor.

Jamie.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Ronnie McCoury on Eastman?

Considering we don't have the facts on how or why a mandolin celebrity is on the official Eastman page (I'm pretty sure the legal teams would be involved if it wasn't cool) don't read anything more...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Getting Back To It

Welcome back and enjoy making your music again.

Jamie
  18. Re: you sell a banjo and have some spare $ so.......

Enjoy and Congrats.

Jamie
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Beginner looking for mandolin

I started with $100 mandolins (Johnson or Savannah Labeled). The cheap Rogues can work well too. I got them via eBay and they were just fresh of a container ship. Dead strings and no adjustment. I...
  20. Re: Has anyone heard about a crazy mandolinist named Frank Wakefi

No one bakes a better mandolin than Frank!

Jamie
  21. Re: Free irish Session Tunebook Out For Community Comment!

I'm an odd one who like having both dots and tab on the same page (but having one or the other ONLY isn't an issue. I also like the effort you spend up front in the text. Very nice!

Jamie
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Acoustic music near Elkton, VA

Ha! I lived IN Elkton (not that big city of Harrisonbug) from 95-98. As you head south on I81 from Harrisonburg you'll pass over Blacks Run that may have been the nugget in Mike Compton's mind when...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Cowboy Junkies "Sweet Jane"

Lou Reed stated the Cowboy Junkies version was the best ever of this song. He ain't wrong.

Jamie
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Paul Prestopino has passed

I got to meet him a few times as my wife's dad used to fly PP&M around. Yes he had a beloved Stradolin and a suitable case for it. He was a colorful dresser and player giving great accents to...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Tips for new mandolin

Welcome to the Cafe,

I suspect many of us started with budget instruments, I did. The most important thing that helped me was having instruments that intonated in at least first position (frets...
Page 1 of 36 1 2 3 4