Search:

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Thread: Tam Lin

by Josh Levine
    Replies
    Views

Re: Tam Lin

While I don’t know if this is considered a traditional version, I quite like it

https://youtu.be/O_4SX7-U-0s
  2. Re: Best way to test preamp sounds at home?

So, I ran the Tone Dexter and Grace Bix through my Scarlett Interface and played around with 2 different mandolins with K and Ks. In my opinion the Tone Dexter has a much more natural sound than the...
  3. Re: Best way to test preamp sounds at home?

Everyone else seemed to understand my question just fine. You can save your rude responses for someone else. I am not talking about contact mics or SM57s or I would have asked about microphones. If...
  4. Re: How do YOU play the C section of Jerusalem Ridge?

I learned the Monroe version from Chis Henry. Good visualization of fingering here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEn-mztS_jM
  5. Re: Ordered a Northfield F5S, Received a Big Mon Wide Nut by Mist

This is the cutting edge of sales these days. When someone orders something you send them the more expensive item “by mistake”.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Average cost for Mandolin set up

FYI lots of knowledgable women on this forum as well.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Monster sound on this mando

Yes Jarrod Walker is a hoss of a picker. Billy’s band is playing the biggest venues for a bluegrass band out there (ever?). I think much of the kudos goes to their sound man for helping bring quality...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Flinner and Walsh in Galway NY

I would love to catch this show. Fortunately I will get to see a workshop on Mandolin Duos up at WinterGrass with Joe and Andrew Marlin. Should be prettyyy good. If I can get permission to record and...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Two Stellar Northfields At Dusty Strings

Maybe it’s time to lay off going into every thread that contains the word Northfield and questioning or pointing out where they are made and what tier they are in as you seem ignorant on the issue....
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Wintergrass Jam 2/22 - 2/25

Ya there is an instrument check if you aren’t staying at the hotel. I always stay there and can be between my room and any stage/workshop within a matter of minutes, so it’s no problem leaving it in...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Wintergrass Jam 2/22 - 2/25

Matt I will be up there and will have a nice mandolin or 3. We should definitely cross paths. Would be great to meet you.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: 2 mandolin duet advice

This podcast episode came out after Baron Collins Hill and Noah Fishman put out a mandolin duet album and they talk about some of their thinking....
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Mid tier Mando that will hold its value

Also keep in mind people are talking about used instruments. Tough to get a new mid tier instrument to appreciate when purchased new at retail unless you intend to hold it a long time and get lucky.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Giacomel A-5

I wasn’t aware that need was part of the equation.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Is anyone else scared of Bill Monroe?

Oh ya, I get that. And he had the ability to pull great players, of course. What aspiring bluegrass musician would not want to have a crack at playing with the master? But I also get why players that...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Is anyone else scared of Bill Monroe?

I can figure out the key of the song, but prefer to focus my energy on connecting with the music and playing it to the best of my ability than trying to figure out what and how we are playing a song...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Tonedevil FM product feedback requests

I agree that it would be easier to hear the mandolin if it were played a little slower so the notes could ring out. Really hard to get too much information on the tone when played so quickly.

It...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Slides

Coated strings are helpful. I like the Daddario XS strings. The XTs should be fine also. Honestly probably just takes time and experience to get smooth with it. Compton suggests rubbing some nose...
  19. Re: Is "Mr Sun Plays Duke Ellington's Nutcracker Suite" bluegrass

I’d say their music is more of the David Grisman “Dawg music” pedigree which can ranges from bluegrass to jazz to Latin and all points in between.
  20. Re: Convince me of the value of strict DUDU picking?

The biggest reason is timing and rhythm. It will keep you in time and with solid rhythm that matches the music… I have to assume you are talking about bluegrass. I can’t speak to other music styles...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Clip-on mic vs Removable Pickup

I used a Schertler Dyn-M with good sound results for a couple years. I did end up scratching and making marks on the finish and got tired of it falling off and eventually just switched to a K and K.
  22. Thread: Arpeggios

by Josh Levine
    Replies
    Views

Re: Arpeggios

Here is a video by Chris Henry. He does a great job of teaching something called Staggered 1/16th note arpeggios. I haven’t watched this video but there is a good chance he covers it. Regardless if...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Etiquette for buying a mandolin on-line

If someone is willing to pay for the instrument up front, cover shipping both ways, and generally thinks that it is the instrument they want I don’t think it’s mid-bad etiquette to send it back if it...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Etiquette for buying a mandolin on-line

48 hour approval period is pretty standard ask in etiquette. It isn’t guaranteed but neither is a sale. If that is important to you don’t make a deal if the seller refuses.
  25. Re: Effortless Mastery - Tips for Playing in the Zone

I have read this book twice and like it. I recently listened to this podcast by Chris Pandolfi, banjo player for Infamous Stringdusters. He is talking to Chris Wood of the Wood Brothers and Medeski,...
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4